OL's Fulton and Swindle released, Sign 2

PLAYERS TO PRACTICE ROSTER

by
TICATS STAFF
|

AUGUST 30, 2017

http://ticats.ca/app/themes/ticats/assets/images/social_icon.png

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Wednesday that the football club has signed two international free agents to practice roster agreements, including defensive back Osagie Odiase and linebacker D.J. May.
Odiase, 26, registered eight defensive tackles and five special teams tackles in four games for the Calgary Stampeders this season before being released on August 13. In 10 career games for the Stampeders, the 6-0, 186-pound defensive back collected 10 defensive tackles and seven special teams tackles. The native of Los Angeles, California, also played one season (2015) for the Arena Football League’s Portland Thunder, posting 63.5 tackles and one interception in 14 games. Odiase played in 41 games, starting 36 times, over five years (2009-13) at Sacramento State University. He registered 202 total tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, two quarterback sacks, 10 interceptions, 26 pass breakups and one forced fumble.
May, 23, attended rookie camp with the National Football League’s Detroit Lions this season before being released on May 15. Prior to turning pro, the 5-11, 205-pound native of Federal Way, Washington, played in 37 games at both running back and linebacker over five years for the University of Wyoming Cowboys. May registered 133 carries for 634 yards and three touchdowns, 14 receptions for 179 yards and two touchdowns, and added 130 total tackles, 13 tackles for loss, three sacks, thirteen passes defended, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. He also returned 59 kickoffs for 1,507 yards and four punts for 20 yards.
The Tiger-Cats also announced the following two players have been released:
INT – OL – Xavier Fulton
INT – OL – Jordan Swindle

Who do we have that can start at left tackle?

1. No real surprise here. We all know how ineffective Swindle was, right from game one !!

Fulton not much better…a disappointment this season, considering the Cats re-signed him
to a new contract in the off season !! Guys were blowing by him almost as bad as Swindle. ::slight_smile:

Hopefully some good young stud tackles are signed by the Cats in the next few days from the
NFL cuts.

Holmes and Washington is my guess

Didn't they cut them both a couple of weeks ago? Last game, the Holmes and Washington were the tackles, with one of the guards (not sure who) providing depth. Were Swindle and Fulton just placed on the "injury" list for that game? Or were they moved to the practice roster?

Not to worry , apparently Tailspin has gone out and signed up three new guys to play left tackle .
3 brothers actually named This Guy , That Guy and The Other Guy . ::slight_smile:

Fulton was on the one game and Swindle the 6 game injury list. Still posted as this on the website.

I find it difficult to keep up with the revolving door of O-Linemen this year. Years ago I watched a documentary on Jim Otto, the Raiders' longtime Center, and he talked about his decision to retire in the off season. He said he thought he could play one more year but if he had to stop mid-season it would be a problem for the team because the O-Line needed time to gel so that it was an effective unit.

There is so much change on the Cats' O-Line that I don't see how they can possibly start playing as a unit without consistent personnel.

We shall see on Monday!

In Fultons case he is a 7 year veteran, If he played in the 9th game(LDC) his cap hit and guaranteed salary would be until the end of the season, if released now his salary is removed from the Cap,
Fulton is now unemployed with zero income.

[tr][td]AFTER PLAYER’S 9TH REG. SEASON GAME*[/td]
[td]GUARANTEE DATE – 6 YR. VETERAN[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]AFTER PLAYER’S 10TH REG. SEASON GAME*[/td]
[td]GUARANTEE DATE – 5 YR. VETERAN[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]AFTER PLAYER’S 11TH REG. SEASON GAME*[/td]
[td]GUARANTEE DATE – 4 YR. VETERAN[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]AFTER PLAYER’S 14TH REG. SEASON GAME*[/td]
[td]GUARANTEE DATE – MEDICAL BENEFITS PROVIDED FOR VETERAN OF ONE PLUS YEARS PROVIDED[/td]
[/tr]

1. Swindle has been on the 6 game injury list from after the 3rd game this season.

Fulton, from what I recall has been on the 1 game rotating injury list for the last 4 or 5 games.

I think Fulton will find work quickly. Experienced CFL tackles are a valuable piece.

Agree , not a surprise at all really . Especially Swindle whose nickname could'a been "Swingin' Door" .
Just another example of the piss poor job that Eric Tailspin has done in recruiting so called players for this team .

As for Fulton ? I love the guy but in all honesty his knees appeared shot this season and his mobility was next to none on most nights . It would've been nice if we could've acquired the Fulton that had played for the Riders 4 to 5 yrs ago . Instead it seems we got the scratch and dent version of him whose best days were clearly behind him . It's a shame when you think about it .

Always a big crowd for the Labour Day game. I think we can find work for him here outside the stadium. Could probably use Swindle out there too.

This season is a write-off. The team is looking to upgrade talent on the offensive line. In that respect, the rest of the season is an extended training camp.

They're working towards 2018 now - they're not concerned about preparing a team for the playoffs. They're just trying to find a way to win a game.

Great experience, yes! Dominant? At times, very much so. But injuries have taken their toll on this Big X-Man - particularly knee injuries which hamper necessary mobility. Hard to cover this up against mobile d-linemen and swift linebackers!

Xavier Fulton signed by MTL