Oliveira, Bombers agree to terms on two-year deal

WINNIPEG — The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have agreed to terms on a two-year contract extension with Canadian running back Brady Oliveira, who was scheduled to become a free agent February 8th.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/02/07/oliveira-bombers-agree-terms-two-year-deal/

Another great signing

1 Like

Locking up more of our Canadian talent. This time for TWO years. Woo hoo.

Will we ever see three year contracts again? Two year contracts wouldn't have jumped off the page a decade ago.

1 Like

Another nail in Harris' coffin? We should know soon.

1 Like

If only Harris hadn't missed half the season with nagging injuries last year. No one in their right mind in this league would throw huge money at a part time player. Having said that, maybe an 'every other game contract' (if it existed) would be the answer.

This may interest you Bomber fans. Elks have pushed offer to Lawler to $300K. What teams won't do when they don't spend a lot of cash on QB's. Have to be surprised that Jones has been focusing on offence with the Masoli & now Lawler chase. As a side note he has also expressed interest in Harris - that would be Andrew Harris. I guess that closes the door on Kenny.

Congrats on Oliveira.

2 Likes

The Elks wanna blow $300 grand of Cap space on Lawler? Excellent. Excellent. My plan is working perfectly. Now if only Harris can suck another quarter mil out of their coffers those Elks will be utterly dead in the water!!! YEHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Now back to my lair at Skull Island Volcano (located just down the road in downtown Winnipeg). :nerd_face:

2 Likes

At $300k they can have him, BC can now spend more on beefing up their line men. Spending that much for him could create dissension in the ranks. With Burnham & Lucky wrapped up there's no need to get in a bidding war for his services.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree BUT the deal with BC includes a signing bonus, the deal with Elks is no signing bonus. Signing bonuses are much more tax friendly. Generally taxed @ 15% but not quite that simple You have to consider the tax implications on both sides of the border, residency etc etc but that's why you have agents. Not much to choose between the two. He's a West Coast guy so he could still land in Vancouver.

1 Like

Glad to have Brady back. Got the backfield locked up for the next 2 years. They will have good years behind our Oline.
Wished we could still get Harris parttime, but someone will for sure offer him a starter gig & $$.

1 Like

So this is your plan Maaax? Excellent. I hear the Elks are having 3 players at a time sharing stalls with all the players they're bringing in. They need Andrew 'coz Adarius & Manny need a stall partner.

2 Likes

Remember the last time we got burned handing out a big signing bonus?

Hint: it involved a FA Rider QB who agreed to terms with us only to kick sand in our face that spring.

2 Likes

I'd like to see him in BC, it would give us 3 of 2021s top 4 receivers! Defenders won't know which way to look. But let's not get into a bidding war. Stick with the original offer & if he accepts, happy days. And oh yeah, good for Oliveira.

2 Likes

I didn't say that my plans made any sense. Sheesh.

That WOULD be crazy. Add to the craziness a top notch offensive line with no money left over for defense and you'll have 'Air Coryell' (northern version).

Football 101: Deep Shots with the Air Coryell Offense | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Things seem to be clearing up Maaax. Zach is unhappy on losing Kenny so Mike & Chris have got a handshake deal to move Kenny back & get Willie PLUS $50K, which he will pass on to Willie. In return Zach takes a hometown bonus to cover part of the Lawler contract.

Yeah about that QB..........the initials DD spring to mind. LOL

1 Like

Kyle Walters expected to speak on the Harris situation in the next day. Have been recent discussions with Harris & reports say some hard feelings. Quelle surprise.

1 Like

That scenario is just crazy enough to be real. Will Kyle Walters be using bitcoin to cover his tracks? That guy should be arrested for just LOOKING so smart. If I had half his brains there'd be heck of a mess to clean up on the operating table.

Ofcourse Harris's name comes up in this thread, and I'm a big supporter....but I just want to steer this back to Oliveira. He's earned this. Teased us a bit last year, but I'd love to see him take this opportunity by the horns and be the next great local RB.

4 Likes