O'Leary: TDA was a football game wrapped in a party

WOLFVILLE — With a dramatic loss still curdling in his mouth, Derrick Moncrief stopped and took one last moment to take in his surroundings.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/16/oleary-tda-was-a-football-game-wrapped-in-a-party/

Exciting game to watch. Way to go Argos and Bethel-Thompson hard fought battle for the Victory. Duke Williams was an animal before the start. Throwing a helmet at Richardson. (I think it was) Got to Wonder if the League will give him a supplemental punishment for his antics. Sure wasn't a good example for the league trying to get the 10th Team up and running. Riders sure have a lot of troublemakers.

2 Likes

I thought the stadium had been adjusted to seat 10,000. Why then did the stands look only about 65-70% full in the arial shots ? Can somebody please enlighten me ?
Many thanks

1 Like

I am very glad and grateful my hometown Argos :anchor: prevailed in the exciting Touchdown Atlantic game versus the Riders. MBT had a stellar game for the Argos. Their defense was solid and stole the game with a brilliant pick six by Wynton Mc Manis who raced 48 yards untouched for the game winning touchdown with 2:06 left in the game :exclamation:

My game ball goes to the entire team :rofl:

2 Likes

I didn't like the gamesmanship crap from Saskatchewan - it's like they just don't get it....

Props to Toronto for the win. It was a great show and a great showplace for Atlantic Football. Sure looks good on Acadia as hosts as well.

Really nice to see the promotion got the University by the league as well.

Now we need to make it a more permanent thing and get a team out there......

1 Like

It's pretty obvious by now that the Riders are the league's dirtiest team, by a long shot. Something ugly is brewing in Regina and someone is going to have to address it, instead of just brushing it off like Dickenson does.

1 Like

Seems a shame to have have these disciplinary issues mar an event like this. Both Williams & Richardson should be fined.

2 Likes

Thank the TSN/CFL gods for putting Matt Dunigan back onto the panel. At least there we can fast forward through it and not have to listen to his phony Kentucky Hillbilly/Carolina or Georgia back road slang jargon. The guy thinks he is Steve Harvey. Perhaps the slang jargon actually does him a favour 'cause without it, his commentary is quite boring whereas with the slang jargon he is only annoying. Ship him back to the states where he came from. Surely there is qualified Canadian commentatrors we could listen to that know the game without the phony diguise.

1 Like

I'm just guessing here. I think it has to do with the fact that:

1. Some companies bought some of the tickets for either their employees or customers, and they didn't show up.
  2. Some people bought more tickets than they needed and attempted to scalp them outside the stadium on game day, and on game day they asked much more money than the people were willing to pay. I noticed that there were plenty of fans outside the stadium, most likely they were there trying to buy tickets from scalpers and thought better of it when they heard the going price. Ten years ago, I attended an International event. I had two tickets, one for me and one for my son, and unfortunately my son wasn't able to attend because he had the flu. When I got to the event, there was an enormous crowd outside the venue willing to pay thousands for a ticket. I had one ticket to sell and sold it to a family who was trying to buy a ticket for their young son. I told them I had a ticket and they offered me an enormous amount of money for it, and I only asked the price that was on the ticket.
2 Likes

That and the seats were uncomfortable bleachers with no back support. Im sure some decided just to go find somewhere to stand

1 Like

Bless you :+1::+1:

1 Like

So fans had to pay big prices for "bleacher"seats ? That wasn't mentioned in all the hype. Here's the truth:
Halifax City Council, after seeing the effects Covid had on the CFL took back their commitment of
$20,000,000 to cover the cost of the
proposed stadium and the two councillors pushing the project. It was only a 20,000 seat facility which makes it being profitable very skinny for a CFL team. As far as alternative use ie: concerts etc, the city would get the revenue not a privately owned team. Perhaps , just perhaps if the Schooners were community owned a team might fly. As far as an upgrade to St Marys U stadium, the seats there caps out
at 6900 and i'm betting a reno to get it up to 20,000 just won't cut it.
Here in the west Wpg, Sask and Edm are community owned and they have adequate or new stadiums of 25,000 Seats. Calgary really needs a new stadium but the city has rejected a new arena to replace the Saddle Dome so a new stadium isn't on the radar. stamps have private ownership and wether that will continue with the current stadium remains to be seen. BC has an enthusiastic new owner and after three years of having a rock bottom team, now have hope.. hopefully. Now that Rourke is sidelined.. will the gild come off the lilly ? The lower mainland had it's demographics re: ethnic mix change dramatically in the past 30 years with most new Canadians growing up with Soccer. Many have also become hockey fans and games are broadcast in Punjabi. The Seahawks have a strong BC following with over 5000 BC'ers having season tickets plus many bus trips for one off games. I live in the Okanagan and Lions are rarely paid attention too. And, on provincial sport casts the Lions are away down the list as regard coverage. Time and the owners patience will be the criteria as to whether the Lions survive

Yes, you're probably right, I didn't think of that.

I've sat in the SMU stadium some years ago. The location is great for the game if you live in the city, however in that part of Halifax there's no parking and no food vendors or restaurants. Halifax will never have a CFL team. I was really hopeful when the Schooners were first announced and was crushed when I heard all the negativity from everyone about it. When they were brought up again recently and this new $20,000,000 stadium was announced, I just laughed, there was NO way that stadium was going to be built. You have to understand the people of Halifax to know what I mean, they want everything and don't want to pay for it. You should have heard the whining when they wanted to add a light rail train for public transportation "It'll block my car!"

1 Like

Thank heavens someone else agrees with me and has some financial acumen.
My son in law is in business and yet doesn't understand that as you say, Halifax won't spend
$ 20,000,000 on a
"small stadium"
He even tried to tell me that last Saturday's game was being played in Halifax ???
I told him Axemen Stadium was over an hour from Halifax in a town of 4,600 people and his comment was " Maybe they
will put a CFL team there. Others tout Moncton . Population under 80,000 .. really ?
Thank god these people aren't looking after my finances !
When commish Randy petitioned the Can Govt for that $30,000,000 loan I called my MP and stated that in now way should Can taxpayers prop up CFL teams, especially those teams that had private owners. Then the players said they deserved to be paid.. and 50% are US citizens .. not on my watch ..
If Covid worsens or some other malady struck our loan would evaporate as teams declared bankruptcy. That loan then becomes a gift .. nice ...
So the Feds support Canadian Universities. Then put some seed money into their sports programs and make our college football and let those teams use the current stadiums and be the only game in town. Imagine if a CIAU
could sell even 15,000 seats what it could contribute to their overall coffers.

"Small crowd by cfl standards". No smaller than BMO field crowd.