O'Leary: Arbuckle an intriguing QB on the move

For a myriad of reasons it feels like a lifetime ago that we saw the billboard.

The Ottawa REDBLACKS had just traded for and signed Nick Arbuckle, the promising backup out of Calgary that filled in very well for an injured Bo Levi Mitchell in the 2019 season. Arbuckle was the most in-demand player of the pending free agent class of 2020 and the REDBLACKS, in the same way they’d deftly added Henry Burris to their roster for the 2014 season, got the jump on everyone, trading for his rights then signing him to a two-year deal.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2021/10/26/oleary-arbuckle-intriguing-qb-move/

Anyone know why Arbuckle was released from Ottawa contract. Really does not make sense why Ottawa would release him (a young up and coming CFL star) in favour of an older veteran that has seen better days with his career behind him. Puzzled!

Nichols was likely cheaper and Lapo had worked with him before.

Not sure why Ottawa let him go? There GM seemed very frustrated and my guess is it was not his call to move him. I suspect owner presume and finances were the major factor. They are paying for it now.

I will add that Paul Lapoloice will be fired before the end of next year. He is a great OC but struggles as a HC. His record on both counts speaks for itself.