O'Leary: A perfect Canada Day for the CFL

It hit me shortly after Tre Ford was named the Edmonton Elks’ starter on Thursday afternoon, a few hours before Nathan Rourke would take the field for the BC Lions.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/01/oleary-a-perfect-canada-day-for-the-cfl/
2 Likes

Is it still a 'perfect' Canada Day if Ford loses, or just close to perfect? :thinking: And good weather always helps. :+1:

1 Like

It appears we're entering a golden age for Canadian QBs. I've always thought one of the three QB spots on each team should be a Canadian... that third string position has usually been primarily a development position anyway... so why not.

You are proclaiming this "golden age" already now? I think we should just watch them for awhile before making any proclamations, but hey I get it for sake of clicks or media copy as usual like whenever somebody proclaims a "golden age" and certain other cliche`s.

Ah well media copy and all that, but what happens tonight if it's not an outright flop can lead us to more. It's not all on tonight as apparently is being played up I see.

If Ford plays well it can still be a perfect Canada Day for the CFL even if the Elks lose. As long as we all get to see something great. :partying_face: :boom:

1 Like

Oh Canada. Alright! Enjoy the fireworks kiddies

2 Likes

Yes I am... I'm unaware there's ever been a time in the modern era of Canadian football where you have 3 rostered Canadian QBs in the league... let alone 2 starters on consecutive days.

1 Like

A 24-hour period is hardly an age, but sure, you do you.

Its about an age of opportunity that hasn't existed in the CFL for the past two generations and it doesn't matter whether an individual succeeds or fails but has the chance to compete. Many years ago Jamie Bone, the 1978 Hec Crighton award winner, went to the extreme of trying to sue the CFL just to get a chance to try out to play QB. Now all these years later we are finally seeing there is opportunity for Canadian QBs to play at the professional level.

1 Like

As of now both Canadian starting QB's in the CFL have perfect winning records. Soon pigs will be seen roosting in nearby trees.

These are unusual times. :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

Gerry Datiillio.

2 Likes