Oldest Team in the CFL

Somebody here might know the answer or perhaps even played on this team.

I shall defer to the Council of Geezers again. @FootbalYouBet

This is quite the sticking point in favour of Hamilton. As there is no agreement on the premises of the question, I can’t see there being a clear answer.

1 Like

Maybe somebody here knows and perhaps also a member of the Council of Geezers, but as a former rugby player I wonder if back in those days they didn’t merely punt the ball away.

No, back in those days you did what is now the onside kick from scrimmage and chased it down to at least go clobber the receiver of the kick or ball-carrier. This was not a job for a mere punter.

It sounds like it was good times to me at the very least.

I see no mention of the Riders who have been around for 110 years being founded in 1910. I think Winnipeg has been around for nearly 100 years as well.

Yeah you are right they are over 100 years. But they too fall into the different name same team debate

They win the oldest community owned team

But eastern teams start pre-1900

1 Like

The Rough Riders were formed in Ottawa in 1876

The Calgary Stampders have only been around 76 years- from the rib of God

Winnipeg officially goes back to 1930. The Blue Bombers were founded in 1930 as the “Winnipeg Football Club” , which is the organization’s legal name. Also known as the “Winnipegs” until 1935 and then became the Blue Bombers after that. So this will be their 91’st season of existence. May have been some various Winnipeg teams before that, but not related to the Blue Bombers.

The BC Lions started in 1954 when the British Empire Games (now known as the Commonwealth Games) were held that same year in Vancouver where they finally had a big enough stadium.

To correct one poster, it IS the Edmonton Elks…not Elk. From the Wiki page: In 1910 the club was officially named the Edmonton Eskimos and briefly called the Edmonton Elks in 1922. The team folded in 1925. Elite-level football returned to Edmonton in 1938 with a team also called the Eskimos, this time in the WIFL.

The Stampeders were officially founded in 1945.

Ottawa Red Blacks only a few years old. If you want to count the Ottawa Rough Riders though, the name “Rough Riders” was acquired in 1898.

Montreal Alouettes were founded in 1946 although became the Concordes for awhile and dropped out of the league for some years too.

4 Likes

They can’t be oldest as they folded
Otherwise we can name off a dozen teams from 1800s era football

I took OP to mean longest continuous (or overlooking when a team missed a season or two for various reasons)

2 Likes

Ticats pretty sure they just weren’t called the Ticats , founded in 1869 as the Hamilton Football Club and were nicknamed the Tigers. Founded at a fruit market/ store at Jackson Square there was a plaque attached to the Jackson Square stairs that lead to the roof in 2019

2 Likes

The merger of the Tigers and Wildcats, continues the history of the Tigers which was formed before the Argonauts. Same as the Elks are continuing the Eskimo history.

A merger is an addition to what was, not a start over.

3 Likes

Very true , a merger is continuing something not starting over

1 Like