OFSAA Bills Toronto Series Football Bowl

Given the Bills Toronto Series became the title sponsor of this game and hosted the event at Rogers Center, were the games played on the American field set up for the Bills - Dolphins game this weekend?

It would be a shame if the Ontario high school championships were played out on an American field after having played the whole season with the Canadian rules (plus a down).

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are the Ontario High School Championships also being played
at the Rogers Centre Field? i.e. they may have to play on a Yankee sized field?

Annually, the Ontario High School Football Championships are played at the Rogers Centre. This year, it featured 5 Ontario championship games: The Western Bowl (for SW Ontario), Northern Bowl (Northern Ontario), National Capital Bowl (Eastern Ontario), Golden Horseshoe Bowl (including the Hamilton area), and the Metro Bowl (for GTA schools).

From the best of my knowledge, since the field lines were drawn for the Bills game on Sunday, they held all 5 High School games (this past Wednesday) on the same field. It seems rather insipid since they’d have 3-1/2 days to convert the field to NFL standards from the Canadian one; especially since there was a 24-hour turn around in August between the Bills pre-season game vs. Pittsburgh and a “Blue Team” game against Montréal.

Thanks for the explanation, Mongo. I agree that it would be shameful if the high school kids had to play championship games on an American field.

Hopefully, this problem will be remedied immediately following the Bills game.

Oh yea, that American field is so bad, I'm sure that blocking, tackling, running, kicking, passing etc. doesn't ever happen on that sort of pint sized piece of football real estate, well, if we can even call it that, eh? :wink:

I'm not sure that is the issue. These kids are the future of football in Canada; as players and future ticket buying fans. And here we are promoting the American game to them and not the Canadian one. Great way to build your future fan base.

Why the sarcastic tone, Earl?

Did you even read what mongo said?

the field lines were drawn for the Bills game on Sunday, they held all 5 High School games (this past Wednesday) on the same field.
That's [b]seven days[/b] in advance of the Bills game.
It seems rather insipid since they'd have 3-1/2 days to convert the field to NFL standards from the Canadian one;

especially since there was a 24-hour turn around in August
between the Bills pre-season game vs. Pittsburgh

and a "Blue Team" game against Montréal.

The field crew re-drew the lines for the CFL game in One Day.

The point mongo made was that the field crew could have waited
until after the OFFSA high school championship games were finished

and still had three full days to draw the USA lines on the field.

I know the fundamentals are the same Earl. At the high school level its probably not so important given its played with 4 downs anyhow. I do still think football in Canada should be uniformly played from the ground up. I also think its unfair to have these kids play their entire season on one type of field and then play the championship on another. What happened to the rouge?

Hurrah for the NFL playing regular season games in Canada, but I'm no fan of having them change the game in Canada at the grassroots level.

Can anyone confirm that the games were played with the same set-up as that used for the NFL contest?

Points well taken guys. But I don't think there is a lot we can do about it, the powers that be in Toronto, other than Mssrs Cynamon and Sokolowski, are going to push the American rules as much as they can, that's what the Linds and Tanenbaums want and they have money and power, well Tanenbaum has the money not sure about Lind. They want an American set-up, they'll get it. :expressionless:

The Metro Bowl is not 4 downs.

David Groosman |Toronto Star explains the set-up below.

CLICK HERE

The field at the Rogers Centre will be CFL width.

Three down football.

The length of the field is NFL size, 100 yards, or
10 yards shorter than the CFL regulation length,

and field goals will be pushed back -

all to accommodate the Buffalo Bills and
Miami Dolphins game this Sunday.

I went to the games and yes, they were three-down games. I know it varies from region to region but I know in Kingston they play four downs in junior and three downs in senior. I've never been to a junior game in this area so I don't know if that changes.

The Rogers Centre field was indeed CFL width but was 100 yards with 10-yard end zones and the goalposts at the back. It was really strange seeing a field of that size in that building.

The bottom line is that the "Bills in Toronto series" paid for the use of the facility. I don't want to use the term beggars can't be choosers, but it sure was nice to have someone pay for the building so the kids could play indoors. I wish they could have played three-down ball on a Canadian-sized field but it's cost prohibitive.

If more people came to the games it would be different...but it's a tough enough sell getting people to come out to the CFL games on a regular basis....don't get me started on the lack of support for CIS and high-school games in this country.

Yeah really, the high school support in Canada is so bad it is to the point of humourous. I played in highschool and our games started around 2:30PM and the crowds would be alright until the buses came at 3:15PM, and then it was see you later everyone!

On the flip side of the coin, I was in Canton, Ohio recently and took in a neutral site high school game on a very cold Saturday night at Massillon Paul Brown Tiger Stadium, and there were about 7,000 - 9,000 people at the game sitting in -15C weather. And one of the teams and their fans were from 2 hours away!

So yeah, I think it is fair to say Americans love football the same, if not more, than Canadians love hockey.

• paul