Officiating

Funny thing, I don't recall Edmonton getting a penalty in the first half. How is this possible when both teams are usually guilty of some infraction on every play? Why is it that only the Ticats get called, especially when the play is really beneficial to the Eskimos to keep their drive going?
Okay. I saw the Cats sprinting offside on a couple of plays, but how does the defence get called so much without the Eskimos getting called for procedure? Trying not to be 'sour grapes' here but I was ticked in the first half when the Cats had every opportunity to win, until the infractions started again.
Perhaps the CFL should make the officials salary in line with a full time position so there can not be any chance of collusion.

So we lost because of the refs? Get your head out of your arse. The TiCats sucked today.

The Defence lost this game plain and simple Brother! You can always fault the Refs on something, but they have to step it up!

Perhaps a game shouldn't depend on officiating, perhaps a 6-6 "eastern contender" SHOULD NOT SUCK AGAINST A 3-9 TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well that final spot was one of the worst I have seen all season.... that spot makes a big difference of whether they go or punt...

I never said the Ticats lost because of the refs today you Goof, what I said was that all of the help from the officials went to the Eskimos. So get your head out of your arse and actually read what is written.

And the offence disappeared for almost the whole second half.

It will never happen in a million years -- even the rich NFL does not have FT officials -- so it's moot, but I would love someone to explain to me how paying the officials a full-time salary would make the calls better. Football is basically an impossible sport to officiate -- 24 players running around on a huge field at full speed. "Practising" for seven hours a day (as if there was a way they could practise -- would not make it any easier or better.

After the worst performance of the year you whine about the refs? How were the water boys?

We lost because this team lacks the desire to play hard nosed aggressive football. From game to game their desire to play fluctuates. I can understand why Greg Marshall never gets a head coach job because quite frankly his defense sucks. They play too far off the ball, they give up too many easy scores, and the let other teams drive the length of the field.

I'm not going to blame the refs for this one, a couple of tough calls went against us, and we sure got more than our share of calls.

I did think I would point out one missed call. When they showed the replay of the missed two point convert I noticed that the DB covering Bruce was all over him and was obviously pulling his jersey. If called, this would have given the TiCats another chance to get 2 points, and could have made a difference.

Dissappointed with the overall performance today. The defense was just way too soft again today.

PJ

Anyone who even mentions officiating after the lame a.. game the Cats played is a loser. Who the heck cares about officiating right now. The team can't do anything about it, both teams play with the same officials and our defensive team stunk

I agree. I'm as ready to accept the loss as the next guy on our secondary. But....I had this strong sense that calls that should have been 50/50 were stongly going against us. Thankfully, I can't say that has happened much this year, but I felt it today. It was just enough to put us over the edge and cement the loss. That MacIntyre roughing the passer really hurt too.

I agree. I would be as ready to accept the loss as the next guy on our secondary. But....I had this strong sense that calls that should have been 50/50 were stongly going against us. Thankfully, I can't say that has happened much this year, but I felt it today. It was just enough to put us over the edge/tip the skale and cement the loss. That MacIntyre roughing the passer really hurt too.

Penalties were rather one-sided against the TiCats in the first half.

No excuse for losing but on the Esks 2nd TD drive, they should have been called twice for pick plays to receiver Stamps.

On 2 big plays, Stamps' 40+ yard gain and his followup TD pass, Tisdale was covering him across the field and both times he was screened out of the coverage by another Esks receiver.

Coincidence or unintended? Not likely and not called.

Well put...if they are going to give up such easy scores then blitz every down...you may get lucky...and if they are going to score anyway get it overwith quickly...get the offence the ball...they are improving!

I don’t think the original poster is saying we lost because of the officiating because we all know that isn’t true, but I do understand the sentiment. I know it gots both ways, but when things are going as badly as they did it’s those little things like a bad call that can push you over the edge.

You are talking about CFL officiating here. In a Winnipeg-Toronto game earlier this year, the officials missed the call on a convert for gawd's sake. The ball went between the uprights and above the crossbar but they claimed it missed. As I recall, an official was standing beside each upright and another official was standing behind the kicker. None of them made the right call.
But IMO the main problem is inconsistency. Some infractions are called in some games and they're not called in other games, even by the same officiating crew. So coaches, players and fans are confused about what is acceptable and what is not acceptable on a game-to-game basis.
In general, the quality of CFL officiating has taken a step backwards under the direction of Tom Higgins IMO.

The refs were non factors in the outcome of this game and that's the best you can hope for because there will always be a missed call here and there in every game. The Cats lost on merit (or lack of it) and Ray was pretty much vintage Ray and when he's "on", he's damn good.

An Argo-Cat fan