Officiating thread

I refereed for three seasons in Ohio high school football. It was a blast.

Not saying you are wrong, what I am saying is the people who watch football with me at family/friends on TV like to mouth-off and I just grin to myself when referees are being blamed.

The officiating is fine.

2 Likes

Do you really think so? At times I think they’re pretty bad but I also know that it’s got to be pretty tough with 24 bodies flying around and I know I would be worse.

I disagree. I also officiated high school ball, and I understand it’s a tough job.

But the pros are supposed to be pros, and on the same level as the players. Watching the calls this season, and the past two weeks in particular, our officials are simply not at that level. Inconsistency from week to week, crew to crew, and even play to play is a problem. I’m not talking about bang-bang plays here. I’m talking about glaring, obvious, embarrassing mistakes involving rules interpretation and definitions. Real 101 stuff.

I think the skills may be there, but they need training, coaching, --something-- to bring them up to the same level as the players.

Outside of the Harris deal what are some other examples?

Probably one of the toughest sports to officiate. It can be frustrating at times when your team gets screwed by a bad or non call, but I doubt the refs aren’t trying to get it right 100% of the time. I agree with the make up calls statement
from hit em hard though. Video review with a timeout loss on non-overturned calls has slowed the game a bit, but made it way more fair.

Roughing the kicker the week before. Even the panel was shaking their heads.

During the first Cgy Edm LD game, they got the player, team, AND foul all incorrect and had to come back and correct it, then march the ball the other way.

The booth having to radio down to correct a game-changing offside call.

PI called one week against Gainey, a week later an identical play is ruled no foul on the field and on replay.

RTP is called VERY inconsistently, sometimes a finger brushing the helmet gets a call, other times it doesn’t.

These are just off the top of my head.
A foul should be a foul, regardless of team or official. The consistency that should be there is missing. That comes with training, education, film work and time. Just like the players. The refs need the same tools the players do.

I agree they are trying to get it right. I’m saying the league could give them better tools to make them better.

For sure! Probably couldn’t happen till they could afford to do it.

Ok…point taken. Especially the roughing the kicker. Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

I think if they don’t find a way to afford it soon it may be too late.

That would be more heartbreaking than James Bond being being replaced
by a female.

Many things could be helped along by conducting monthly zoom classroom sessions perhaps.

1 Like

Good idea…

They’re already doing that at the high school level guys.

I think the issue is (respectfully) you aren’t qualified to criticize the officiating.

haha…we are not qualified to criticize anything.
Yet…

Thats why I guess your forte is toilet humor.

He gave his opinion…we all learn new things from the forum.

I disagree. As a customer, I am entitled to review the product and decide whether it is satisfactory or if I should spend my money elsewhere.

It is not solely my own opinion that the level of officiating is degrading the product.

A person doesn’t have to be a world class musician to know whether a song is any good or not.

1 Like

Experience is very important when it comes to the quality of an officiating crew and that’s the hardest thing to buy. The greener you are the more mistakes you’re going to make.

A friend of mine used to get into the games for free back in the 70’s & 80’s as a kid because his dad was a CFL ref for a LONG time here in Winnipeg (he remembers having sore hands from playing catch with Ralph Brock on the sidelines). CFL refs didn’t get paid very much in those days but his dad was a big football fan and a big wheel at MTS so the money didn’t matter that much.

That sort of long term commitment to the game ‘for the sheer enjoyment’ might be gone for good. I don’t if that’s for the best or if that’s part of the problem (if there really is a problem that is). Maybe full time CFL refs are the best way to go. Not sure if the league is doing a bang up job in this area or not.

1 Like

for what it is worth, there is a diff between Full time, seasonal, and part time. NFL is not part time. Not sure about CFL.

It used to be part time and I think it still is.