***OFFICIAL: Paopao a TI-CAT

[url=http://www.ticats.ca/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=5926&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0]http://www.ticats.ca/modules.php?op=mod ... =0&thold=0[/url]

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are excited to announce that the team has added Joe Paopao and Kani Kauahi to their coaching staff and has extended the contracts of Head Coach Greg Marshall and Defensive Co-ordinator Kavis Reed.

Paopao joins the Ticats as Assistant Head Coach and Offensive Co-ordinator while Kauahi becomes the Offensive Line Coach.

“Getting all the important pieces in place was something we wanted to do right away,� said General Manager Rob Katz. “We wanted to give our coaching staff an entire off-season to work together toward next year. Our organization is extremely excited to add Joe and Kani to our team.�

Paopao spent the past four seasons as Head Coach of the Ottawa Renegades where he also served one season as the club’s Director of Football Operations (2004) and one season as the club’s General Manager (2005). Prior to joining the Renegades, Paopao held coaching positions with the B.C. Lions, Edmonton Eskimos, Winnipeg Blue Bombers and the XFL’s San Francisco Demons.

The longtime Oceanside, California resident enjoyed an 11-year CFL career as quarterback before joining the coaching ranks. During his playing career, Paopao completed 1,721 of 3,008 pass attempts for 22,474 yards and 117 touchdowns with five teams.

“From a personal standpoint, I have a great deal of respect for these two coaches. It’s great to have both Joe and Kani join our staff,� said Marshall. “Joe brings a tremendous amount of CFL experience and has the admiration of everyone around the league. Kani is a veteran coach whose passion and insight will benefit our entire team, especially our offensive line.�

Kauahi joins the Ticats after a four-year stint with Paopao in Ottawa where he served as the Renegades’ Assistant Head Coach, Offensive Co-ordinator and Offensive Line Coach last season. The Hawaiian has previously held coaching positions with the B.C. Lions and the XFL’s San Francisco Demons. Kauahi spent 10 seasons in the NFL as an offensive lineman and long snapper with four teams.

Marshall just completed his second year at the helm of the Ticats. In 2004, Marshall was named the CFL’s Coach of the Year after leading Hamilton to their first playoff berth in three seasons. In 2004, Marshall became the first person to ever jump directly to the CFL from CIS football, where he compiled a 42-12-2 record as head coach of the McMaster University football team in seven seasons (1997-2003) while earning four Yates Cup victories, two OUA Coach of the Year awards and one CIS Coach of the Year award. Marshall also spent 13 seasons with the University of Western Ontario in various capacities after a notable playing career in which he earned the Hec Crighton Trophy with Western in 1980 before playing three seasons with the Edmonton Eskimos.

“We started something two years ago that I fully intend to see through until the finish. I’m proud to be the head coach of the Tiger-Cats and I am pleased with the strides we have already made this year to improve ourselves,“ Marshall noted. “The next couple of years are going to be very exciting and I am genuinely thrilled to be a part of that.�

Reed joined the Tiger-Cats as defensive co-ordinator in January of 2004 following two seasons with the Ottawa Renegades where he filled the role of Defensive Backs Coach. Reed spent the 2001 season with the Toronto Argonauts as their Defensive Backs Coach.

“Kavis is certainly one of the league’s brightest young coaches,� said Marshall. “He’s a talented defensive teacher. We’re glad he is returning in 2006.�

Reed joined the coaching ranks after an impressive career as a defensive back with the Edmonton Eskimos. During his four-year playing tenure, Reed recorded 205 defensive tackles and 20 interceptions in 67 games, earning recognition as a CFL All-Star and a West Division All-Star in 1997.

“Continuity and cohesiveness are the strengths of all great defensive units,� said Reed. “We have started building a special group in Hamilton and we are only going to get better. I am very excited to be back in the mix and associated with what I believe to be a very talented defence.�

...my thoughts ...I like Joe....so do all the players in the league...but that dosen't produce a winner....good luck to you Joe in Ham...... :arrow:

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=newser&func=display&nid=6984]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... y&nid=6984[/url]

Former Ottawa Renegades head coach and general manager Joe Paopao and former assistant coach and offensive co-ordinator Kani Kauahi will join the Hamilton Tiger-Cats' coaching staff next season.
The Ticats will announce next week that Paopao and Kauahi have agreed to become offensive co-ordinator and offensive-line coach, respectively, on head coach Greg Marshall's 2006 staff. Both positions became vacant after the past season when the contracts of Jamie Barresi and Mark Murray weren't renewed.

Paopao declined comment yesterday, while Kauahi was unavailable.

"I can't confirm anything," Paopao said when asked if he and Kauahi, his long-time associate, had signed with Hamilton.

Ticats general manager Rob Katz said the team would "probably" have a decision this coming week. "I don't want to say anything until we're buttoned up," Katz said.

Paopao, long tagged as a "players' coach," was 23-49 at the helm of the Renegades, who entered the CFL in 2002. His 17-year coaching resume also includes stints with the B.C. Lions, Edmonton Eskimos and Winnipeg Blue Bombers, plus one year as offensive co-ordinator with the XFL's San Francisco Demons.

Kauahi served as an assistant at Mesa Community College in Arizona and as a strength and conditioning coach with the NFL's Arizona Cardinals before becoming B.C.'s offensive-line coach in 1998. He was also with the Demons in 2001 before being hired by the Renegades in 2002.

Paopao and Kauahi were turfed by the Renegades in early November, with president Lonie Glieberman and general manager Forrest Gregg installing John Jenkins as the new head coach.

Paopao's contract contained a clause that would have made it guaranteed for next year if the Renegades lost fewer than 10 games in 2005. However, the team finished 7-11.

WHAT!!! WHAT ABOU WINNIPEG???

What about it?

Taman will be the coach!

With Joe out of the race in Winnipeg, I read yesterday how Austin is no longer the front man. It looks like Creehan may get the nod.

Wrong I think that all the guys so far that have been interviewed are doing it out of common courtesy. Most these guys will wait one year once up management has been replaced. Calling Matt Dunigan!

RW, I hear Matt is coming in as back up QB to Smilin Hank.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

.......common courtesy.....redwhite.....sounds like Creehan for one, is pretty serious....not just courteous....I think he's po'd cuz you guys screwed him over for the headman in cowtown...could be you can write him off for next year,,,,as I think we have found our new coach,,, according to the local press he interviewed real well...goBombers... :slight_smile:

I'm glad to see anice guy like Joe land on his feet. A class guy.

.......pretty harsh words there........if he was so screwed over, why did he sign the contract extension then?.......

and if he is so HAPPY in Calgary why has he applied for the head coach job in the Peg.....hmmmm. :roll:

…because he is keeping his options open and seeing if this thing in winnipeg pans out…seriously though papa, you should read less into what you ‘think’ might be the reason and look at the facts more…Creehan was never ‘screwed over’ here, all the cards were evident and on the table…quit making stuff up that isn’t true…

That would not be a problem! Matt is not bad as long as clowns aren't holding the strings to his arms. Matt also learned his lesson about wearing to many hats. Matt will make a good HC someday.

I do not think the guy applied the Bombers approached the guy. And you have to go to see what you can laugh at oops I mean practise your interview skills.

I agree did Buratto no go! Buratto had no intent on the job yet he went for the interview why wouldn't you. Pappa bad perception on your part my friend. Crehan is probably being paid as much here as he would for the Bombers. His best bet would be to wait a year. Wait until the clown Taman is out of there then just maybe look at the situation.

Report: Bombers to name new head coach

Winnipeg Blue Bombers

TSN.ca Staff with Files

12/13/2005 10:02:50 AM

Toronto Argonauts offensive co-ordinator Kent Austin is one of three finalists for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers' head coaching job, according to the Winnipeg Free Press and Toronto Star.

According the the newspapers, the Blue Bombers have narrowed down their search to Austin, former Ottawa Renegades defensive co-ordinator Greg Marshall and Montreal Alouettes offensive co-ordinator Doug Berry.

The three will reportedly undergo a final telephone interview in the next couple of days, with the successful candidate being named by the end of the week.

Blue Bombers general manager Brendan Taman confirmed to the Star that the club is about to make a decision.

''We've done a lot of thinking, put it that way," he told the Star. "We're about to get down to the nuts and bolts of it, the deciding part.''A CFL source told the Free Press that the Bombers also approached Argonauts vice-president of football operations Adam Rita about a possible return to coaching. Reportedly, Rita has indicated he's comfortable in Toronto, although the Bombers will touch base with him one more time before making their decision.

......Creehan isn't even mentioned.....maybe the BBs screwed him.......

I don't think greg marshall was up for HC duties, wasn't he for the DC?