Offensive Line - Let's discuss where the problem lies

Started off bouncing back opinions I have been reading on these posts about our O-line - that they do not have the skills, ability or personnel to adequately protect the QB, or have given up because Austin "has lost the room". Turns out it backfired on me and I come off looking like the jerk. Fair enough. For what it's worth, I believe they are both capable and wanting to perform at their optimum level each and every play.

But, two points to consider. One, in the Ottawa game, in just over 45 minutes, Zach produced six (6!) first downs, 102 yards, and one TD. Plus he was instrumental in a fumble that cost a TD. In just under 15 minutes, with the same offence (including the O-line) and against the same defence, and without first team reps, Jeremiah produced six first downs, 68 yards and one TD. If Banks had hung onto that pass in the 3rd quarter, Jeremiah would have outproduced Zach in both yards and points, while playing only 15 minutes to 45. That is signifigant of some problem with Zach's output.

Secondly, I keep reading Austin "has lost the room" which I don't really understand, but interpret to mean that his players no longer are playing as well as they should or could be? Is it not just as possible that Zach has "lost the offence" and that they are responding to his loss of confidence? If a player's performance suffers from loss of confidence in the coach, why would it not suffer from loss of confidence in the QB?

My favourite NFL team has been the Steelers, since I was a kid . They were bad for a long time but they were black and gold . When Mike Webster , Dermontti Dawson, and Maurkice Pouncey were playing centre the Steelers became contenders and champions . The run game became a Steeler tradition which allowed the passing game to develop and thrive .

The TiCats don't have a run game, either because they choose not to or they lack the dominant centre to lead the hogs to the promised land . Perhaps we could experiment with Revenberg at centre and play Filer at guard . What would it hurt ? If you can't/won't run , you won't win . I think history proves that with few exceptions .

Pat Lynch (the old guy who remembers Gene Ceppetelli of the 67 Cup Champions)

I agree Pat. You have to run the rock to set up the pass. The current situation is on Austin. He is not the mastermind he thinks he is by far.

Yes Guy on the Masoli comments! I have been preaching that since Austin tried to make Jeff Mathews the starter when Zach went down. All Masoli does is bail out Austin when he exhausts every other option. If Speedy B catches that pass it would have been really interesting who plays out the rest of the year. If Austin keeps rolling Zach back out there, it will cost him his job and June Jones will be HC interim till the end of the year. No one can take that anymore including the players!

"Yes Guy on the Masoli comments! I have been preaching that since Austin tried to make Jeff Mathews the starter when Zach went down. All Masoli does is bail out Austin when he exhausts every other option. If Speedy B catches that pass it would have been really interesting who plays out the rest of the year. If Austin keeps rolling Zach back out there, it will cost him his job and June Jones will be HC interim till the end of the year. No one can take that anymore including the players!"

Austin made Mathews the backup over Masoli because Jeremiah had very inaccurate passes and his only skill at that time was his running.

"Masoli’s first CFL start was a 10-7 loss to Calgary in 2014 where he completed 9-of-20 passes for 107 yards and an interception. The previous game, a 28-24 loss to Edmonton, Masoli replaced an injured Collaros and was 5-of-15 passing for 118 yards with a TD and interception and also lost two of three fumbles."

And

"He played in both preseason games leading into the 2013 CFL season, completing 6 of 13 attempts for 88 yards with no touchdowns or interceptions.

In the 2013 regular season, he played in one game, completing one pass in two attempts for 12 yards and one touchdown. Masoli also rushed for 61 yards in 10 carries."

This is part of the reason why Jeremiah Masoli may have been on the sidelines for so long, behind Jeff Mathews.

NOW, I believe Masoli is ready for more responsibilities. But, back then, with those stats??

How can Kent Austin lose his job if June Jones takes over the head coaching duties, since Austin brought Jones in and is responsible for hiring a head coach to begin with??

Yes Killer but we forget that back then, Masoli was very prone to the fumbles! Thus the Matthews option........ back then!

There is not just 1 thing wrong, there are a whole lot of things wrong with both team & organization as a whole. Plain and simple it can be pointed out to the following:

• KA has brought a fair amount of this on himself with the way he's shown players to the door.
  • Offensive line is truly offensive and has been inconstant since Danny Mac era. (Well before KA)
  • Offensive play calling too predicable for the last 5-6 years (....at least, maybe more)
    (part of the issue is a one RB backfield, completely any easy read for any defense and no creativity.)
  • Offense delivers very little scoring output consistently
  • Defensively the secondary continues to struggle, D line has inconsistent pressure and more importantly are on the field to darn much & get tired due to little offensive production.

Additionally, there are also issue throughout the TiCat Org which also needs a shakeup from the top down and has been needed for years! I can honestly tell you that making the decision before this season to end my (4) season tickets as a ST holder was a wise decision. I was so fed up with the direction of the entire Org. that I decided to "speak with my feet" and haven't regretted it for a moment. Guess my timing was perfect timing as I can't see this team getting much better than a .500 team anytime soon. (Note: Since 2011 they basically are a .500 team.....Not a great report card unless you believe in being an underachiever in a 9 team league.)
Hope I wrong but probably won't be.
:cry:

“KA has brought a fair amount of this on himself with the way he’s shown players to the door.”

So, don’t ever cut a player??

Don’t even release that player should there behaviour be irresponsible and disrespectful of his teammates and the team?? Will Hill??

Not sure what you are saying here…but it doesn’t sound reasonable.

" Offensive line is truly offensive and has been inconstant since Danny Mac era. (Well before KA)"

So why are you pointing the finger at Kent??

“Offensive play calling too predicable for the last 5-6 years (…at least, maybe more)”

But, this same play calling got us to the Grey Cup the first two years and the playoff every season as well…despite a slew of injuries…

Again, Kent Austin has only been here since 2013…how can he be responsible for play calling over 5 to 6 years??

So what I have read so far from Ticat fans is that the Offensive Line is the big problem, Collaros a big problem, CJ Gable too and the receivers. DBs big problem, Kent Austin a big problem so is Tillman.

"So what I have read so far from Ticat fans is that the Offensive Line is the big problem, Collaros a big problem, CJ Gable too and the receivers. DBs big problem, Kent Austin a big problem so is Tillman."

Or, that the problem is much bigger than ONE player, be he the quarterback, the coach.....

Well since we will be getting a very high draft pick this year, here is a list of what OLineman are available in the upcoming draft

http://3downnation.com/2017/08/23/top-10-ncaa-prospects-to-watch-eligible-for-the-2018-cfl-draft/

Now you've done it, Grover....

This will no doubt start an argum....I mean discussion over whether Austin and Tillman are capable or should even be allowed to make that selection....

And if they pick a different player or position from the consensus here...they will likely be criticized for choosing the "wrong" one....

It's the classic no win situation...

That's also a crap shoot, as many of those players may be drafted by the NFL or sign as undrafted free agents, so we may not see them for a year or two (if at all)...

Dear myhometeam, Relax, take a deep breath & whatever you do stop reading into things the way you just did with my post. The comments were "generalized" in nature with a broad sweeping brush.
Slimjim seems to be able to do that.....maybe you could get a few tips from him? LoL.

"Dear myhometeam, Relax, take a deep breath & whatever you do stop reading into things the way you just did with my post. The comments were "generalized" in nature with a broad sweeping brush.
Slimjim seems to be able to do that.....maybe you could get a few tips from him? LoL."

There was no indication in your post that what you said was tongue in cheek.

Perhaps, you need to indicate that, rather than blame those who might misinterpret your remarks.

We can't even get a yard on QB sneak on a second or third down. We employ a Running back because he's a good blocker ??

...and yet again, I didn't say it was "tongue in cheek". Means something completely different.
I said it was a generalized /broad brushed comment.You seem to read more into things than what is said.
To help you, as defined by Webster's:
GENERALIZE: (2a/b) to derive or induce (a general conception or principle) from particulars orto draw a general conclusion from.
TONGUE in CHEEK: with insincerity, irony, or whimsical exaggeration.
Trust that may help you in future.

"...and yet again, I didn't say it was "tongue in cheek". Means something completely different.
I said it was a generalized /broad brushed comment.You seem to read more into things than what is said.
To help you, as defined by Webster's:
GENERALIZE: (2a/b) to derive or induce (a general conception or principle) from particulars orto draw a general conclusion from.
TONGUE in CHEEK: with insincerity, irony, or whimsical exaggeration.
Trust that may help you in future."

now...are those definitions specific...or are they generalized??