Offensive Co-ordinator

Ok so now we are 0-5 and the revolving door for players being cut has been on going. My thought for the day would be when do we look at the O.C. and the game plan and how that is not using the strengths of these players? When in the red zone I havn't seen the creativity that is so often required to score the td. Also my concern with the Q.B. and how Maas locks in on one player without checking off. I am no D.B. but all they have to do is watch his eyes and it tells you his target is. Easy to defend.
Again my thoughts.

Go Cats Go

A wise thoughts they are. The OC is getting much better but being new to 3 down football he has a long way to go. This is far from an ideal situation to be learning the idiosyncrosies of CFL football

Actually, I think the offensive game plan has been pretty solid the last few games. Correct me if I am wrong but haven't they out-gained their opponents in the last two games? They have been giving the ball to Jesse a lot, which he has deserved, and if Jason Maas would have completed 2 or 3 more passes we would have a win and we wouldn't be dissecting every single perceived problem the Ticats have.

• paul

You are right. The offense plan has been fine the problem has been Maas's inability to finish off drives. In between the 30's he has been doing well but the big choke shows up everytime he hits the opponents 30 yard line. I have seen and grant you I am look from the outside many missed open players, but that is what he gets paid for. I have also notice he can not read defenses very well at all. I don't know if he is a starting QB from what I have seen the last couple of games. He has good production and plays from the offense but he chokes when he gets close. I don't think anyone can complain about the offense the last two games. Now penalties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget the penalties and dropped balls that also killed more than a few red zone oppurtunities. Yes, Maas is having trouble finishing, but it's not just him.

i really don't see a lot of open receivers downfield.
i think we have the inability to go deep it's ok moving the ball upfield because we can nickel and dime it and think maas does a good job and taking what the defence gives him but we you're down to the 20 yd line teams won't blitz as much and there is not as much room/options left for the that style of offence.that is up to the coaching staff to fix.
once again, the coaching staff are calling every play not maas. so you can't totally lay all the blame on maas

Bauman is open on a “stop and go” and Curry is open on a clever misdirection over the middle. Both plays had touchdown written all over them except that the first pass was short and the second was into the turf.Maas threw both balls poorly! Your starting veteran quarterback is supposed to “make plays”. You can make all the excuses you want for Maas but under pressure he just doesn’t make plays!
Pat Lynch (the old guy in section 7)

i agree those were two crucial mistakes.as i've said on numerous other posts recently a lot of my hope with maas and the offence rides on friday.
why is because there is no reason why this team shouldn't continue to improve and in that case there are no more excuses why we can't win against the peg this weekend.
if the last step is the red zone inability then i hope that's fixed this game.if not then yes a change may be needed. i just want to be clear that yes maas has to own up to his part but if chang can't punch it in either are we gonna finally say it's play calling why we can't score or blame it on chang's inexperience.
i personally am going to put my ass on the line here and say maas produces 3 td's friday.

That puzzled me to no end after i watched bauman, a raw rookie, get open and make catches palky after play.

How come he can do it and the others not? What am I missing?

Curry and Walker seem to be slowly emerging, but it's slow. Gardner and Ralph are looking soft to me in terms of running patterns and attacking the ball.

Maybe Brock should be on the outside and Bauman on the inside.

The way the offense has been moving the ball 3 tds would not surprise me at all and I don't think it's an unreasonale prediction at all.

like maas or not i think he will take this red zone criticism as a challenge and do what he can to score.oh yeah and its a team sport too and maybe it wouldn't hurt if we execute as a whole too.

For reasons unbeknownst to the the general public, our man Jason has had a poor time throwing the long ball with any zip and accurately. I do not understand why Corey Holmes is not a regular fixture in the offense. Hopefully, this will all come together this Friday evening. The offensive coordinator has to have soom rinkles in the game plan - a fake or something?

The way the offense has been moving the ball 3 tds
would not surprise me at all and I don't think it's an unreasonale prediction at all.
[/quote]
For Winnipeg, Hamilton, or combined??

What do they have, 3 TDs all year and you want 3 in one week.
Take it to a bookie and get some odds if you feel that they will get 3 tds.
I still say not likely.
They haven't showed me enough yet...

For Winnipeg, Hamilton, or combined??

What do they have, 3 TDs all year and you want 3 in one week.
Take it to a bookie and get some odds if you feel that they will get 3 tds.
I still say not likely.
They haven't showed me enough yet...
[/quote]
i know i know it sounds unrealistic but i stand by it and i'll take my lumps on this forum if i'm wrong.
i really thought we should have scored 2 last week, we'll see i guess on friday how desperate this team is and what kinda character it has.

So many comments in this thread that I must try to get my thoughts in...

"Game plan solid"..? The game plan is solid in that it is geared to what Maas can and cannot do. If we are completing short passes, that's because that is all our QB can throw.

"chokes when he gets close".. I've been waiting for someone to use the word 'choke'. It's been in my mind for a long time, but it's so derogatory with it's implications, that we hesitate to use it. I think the time has come.

"takes what the defense gives him" ..What a lame excuse for not being able to complete the long ones. How much success has been accomplished by 'taking what the defense gives him'? NONE

"no reason why this team shouldn't continue to improve".. All the time the other teams are also improving. Do we think the rest of the league is going to wait up fior us? As a matter of fact, there is a reason why we won't improve. See the above references to our QB situation.

Finally, "3 td's this week"...There is optimism, there is realism, but this proves that there is also pure delusion.

Long road ahead. True fans will still be fans. But, put away the rose-coloured glasses for the time being. They don't fit.

The OC is not new to 3 down football - he was with Winnipeg last year.

I think the focus last week for the Bombers defense was obvious. Stop Jesse from getting to the second level and take away Brock Ralph and Gardner. Both of who are the more explosive of our receivers. By doing that Bauman was able to have a great debut. Curry also chipped in nicely. Maas had a good day between the 30's and seemed more comfortable with all the receivers. Teams now know what Ralph and Gardner can do and now we throw Bauman and Curry into the mix its going to be more difficult for teams to take everyone away and hopefully we get more man to man coverage and we're able to make more "big" plays. I agree 3 TD's is a possibility and if Bauman gets one at home IW is going to explode. Perhaps we've found a new star?

My bad, I thought he was new to the CFL. That must mean he's a bad OC on his own merits

with all the changes and all the talent -Its got to be M___. -- Slow in reading routes and wobbly throws usually behind the receiver., ???

emms1 wrote: "
the coaching staff are calling every play not maas. so you can’t totally lay all the blame on maas."

Emms1…
Yes…but is the play the coaching staff called the one that Maas uses? I can’t believe last years coaching staff and this years have all been calling the same plays. Maas keeps doing the same thing. Short passes when long ones are needed and hand offs and laterals when we need first downs.And when he finally does go long, most of his passes miss the mark and other open receivers. Its as if nothing has changed on the offence since the beginning of last year.