Offense?

So today didnt go to bad, wasnt an exciting game, but ill take the win.

I do have a issue with the offense. I find it frustrating how teams can beat down the Roughriders 40-3 and all we can manage is a 17-1 win with only ONE offensive touchdown. Messam was the only standout on offense that we had today, and without him, im sure it wouldnt have been a easy victory or even a win. We seemed to do a little better job with balancing the Passing and Running game. However, Ray looked like a highschool QB and the offensive line... well, they've been garbage most of the year. My point is that the offense seems to be regressing from the beginning of that 5-0 start. Thats whats bothering me, Ray looks like a guy pulled out from retirement, the oline is average on their best days and usually only on run blocking, their pass blocking has crumbled to nothing, and somebody find a new OT. Tyler (#54) had around 3-4 procedure calls. I find it hard to buy that even though unexperianced and somewhat young, that a professional OL has to take the amount of penalties that they do, especially against a sub par pass rushing team. The Eskimos offense as a whole needs to step it up already or we will lose the first game of the post season.

As for the Defense, if they didnt play like they did today, im sure we would have lost, I think i counted 3 INTS? Maybe 4? DBs were quite impressive today, there were some hard hits and our Pass Rush looked amazing tonight even when only rushing 3 men! Hopefully they keep playing like tonight, for the rest of the season cause we sure need them too!
A+ for the Defense

Easy to agree offense needs improvement especially since Saskatchewan defense is among worst in league. In recent weeks, Saskatchewan inert offense is sure making defenses look good. If Edmonton play BC or Calgary now, Edmonton would likely lose.

[url=http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/football/edmonton-eskimos/Eskimos+backup+centre+Koch+suffers+lower+body+injury/5529431/story.html]http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/f ... story.html[/url]

It doesn't get any easier now; backup centre Koch went down with a serious knee injury and as far as I saw him being helped off the field, he couldn't put any weight on it. Good to see that long snapper Hinse played well and likely will take the Eskimos the rest of the way. The toughest part of the schedule is now upon us and I'm confident that Crandell will find ways to take the load off our D; on the other hand our Defense is hungry and showing signs of toughness. Winnipeg will be the test and to mention the game at B.C. at the end of October will decide if we get a home playoff game or not.

this has been a successful season so far, we made the playoffs. most were picking us to finish last in the west. The future looks very bright

[url=http://www.esks.com/article/eskimos-acquire-running-back-from-riders]http://www.esks.com/article/eskimos-acq ... rom-riders[/url]

RB Hugh Charles heads to Edmonton in a trade with the Roughriders. This season is a success from last year.
A great backfield to compete in TC next Year; Bertrand will be 34, although contributes with gas still in the tank.

This season has only been successful because of the 5-0 start. When a team starts 5-0, there should be no excuse for ending up 8-6 and in 2nd place in a division. I do understand that injuries have taken place, like all 4 of our starting receivers. Big deal, that was only for a week or two before we got 3 of them back. At this point of the season, a supposed superstar like Ricky Ray shouldnt be declining and looking washed up. And even with certain oline problems, a GOOD professional team should be able to overcome all the adversity we've seen this year. In my view, we've failed to do that during the back half of the 5-0 start, winning only 3 games since. One of which was against a garbage team (Sask). I am happy we made the playoffs, but this team WILL lose in the first round against BC or Calgary. And to me, that is NOT a successful season. Thats finishing 4th or 5th in a 8 team league.

As for the future with Kavis Reed and Eric Tillmen. The future looks very bright, and hopefully within 2-3 years we will have a dominant Offensive Line and perhaps a new young athletic starting QB with a great Defense. :slight_smile:

[quote="Eskimosrock"]This season has only been successful because of the 5-0 start. When a team starts 5-0, there should be no excuse for ending up 8-6 and in 2nd place in a division. I do understand that injuries have taken place, like all 4 of our starting receivers. Big deal, that was only for a week or two before we got 3 of them back. At this point of the season, a supposed superstar like Ricky Ray shouldnt be declining and looking washed up. And even with certain oline problems, a GOOD professional team should be able to overcome all the adversity we've seen this year. In my view, we've failed to do that during the back half of the 5-0 start, winning only 3 games since. One of which was against a garbage team (Sask). I am happy we made the playoffs, but this team WILL lose in the first round against BC or Calgary. And to me, that is NOT a successful season. Thats finishing 4th or 5th in a 8 team league.

As for the future with Kavis Reed and Eric Tillmen. The future looks very bright, and hopefully within 2-3 years we will have a dominant Offensive Line and perhaps a new young athletic starting QB with a great Defense. :slight_smile:[

Let's see we have a new GM, Head coach , OC and other personel, The team is loaded with new players both on O and D. I would consider this season a success we are 2nd in a tough western conference the future is very bright but we are still a year or two from being a very dominate team in this league.

Is it really that hard to notice that RAY cannot throw a pass 20 yards anymore? his arm is shot, he cannot throw with any ZIp-

Rush 3 drop 9 and RAY cannot beat you, his arm is way too weak, wonder why all your receivers are getting broken ribs retiring, and concussions, well the RAY passes are floaters–

AT this point RAY is collecting a cheque and those who know, know that he is FINISHED–

Yards After Reception :cowboy: is “MONEY” too… RAY spelled backwards.

Dont worry, its been noticed. His decision making is also becoming more questionable as time goes on.
The only thing he really has that i think he is the best in the league at is his Deep Throw Accuracy, he does have good touch, but he lacks the power to get it there efficiently on the sideline passes and tight longer intermediate routes around 20 yards.

Although as a team this week against the Bombers, they played 100% better against a good team, unlike when they played against SASK last week. :thup:

That's ok . Were just resting KJ till the playoffs :wink:

I think the problem is after the 5-0 start, people's expectations were raised. Suddenly people forgot that this was the first year of a rebuild. Coming into this season I expected us to win 8 games. We've won 10. I consider that a success.

Regarding Ricky Ray, I'm not sure what to think of him. He seems to have his good days and his bad days...

It's not just Ray...Calvillo also; Quicker rush ends resulting in plays where the receivers are experienceing different passing lanes compared to/from a couple of years ago. Perhaps it's time to take the snap from behind centre; try the wishbone backfield and/or bootleg. Although in essense; that would be a different offense (schemes) designed for the future QB of the Esks.

Yes I agree, Ray and Calvillo have had success taking shotgun snaps but that ERA is over now. Teams have way too much game film on RAY and Calvillo that you know every one of their tendecies. Its clear that the CFL has adjusted to RAY-- RAY was successfull when teams would send a lot of pressure vs him, he would identify the man to man matchup and throw a nice deep ball for a TD--

Now the league understands that if you rush 3 and drop 9 guys in the secondary that RAY cannot throw the ball into tight windows and lanes-- He just is not good at that--

Ray is definitely a QB that needs receivers who can get open a lot-- Receivers make RAY look good, not the other way around--

HERVEY, Terry Vaughn, Mookie Mitchell all made RAY look better than he was----

Imagine if STAMPS was playing with a real QB how good he is? I bet you STAMPS would be unguardable with a good strong armed QB --

Edmonton has to play NICHOLS, he looked good and is the best QB on the roster easily--

Next season I would like to see Nichols and it perhaps may be a 2 QB system as I can't see Ray going anywhere just yet.
What is a real QB? -; I know what you are getting at Guru and for me a QB with a strong arm == DARIAN DURRANT.

Darian Durant isnt the smartest QB though. We just need a SMART QB with above average arm strength with good accuracy. But the smarts need to come first before the strength or accuracy... Sports like Football is 30% physical and 70% mental.

Well, the Esks have kept Nichols on reserve for a reason...next season I hope he's #2 behind Ray.