Offense 2013

Four-man pass rush is still a problem. We generate no pressure unless we’re overloading the line and sending extra guys. It will catch up with us eventually, because it puts a lot of pressure on our DBs to play perfect man coverage.

And when your D is on the field as long as they have been every single game, you can not expect them to be able to keep the opposition to 6 pts or less given the o can only manage to get you 7 pts.

Richard glad you still believe in this over blown coaching staff. To me, they have still not proven a thing and the offense has not improved in 3 regular season games and 2 pre season games.

I agree about Kuale, I almost forgot he was on the team. But I think Lavarias has been pretty good. He’s gotten 2 sacks so far, and he’s been solid on special teams as well w/ 3 special teams tackles. I think Lavarias is quietly doing his job well, kind of like Alan-Michael Cash was last season.

Has Kuale done something wrong ? I'm not even sure how many snaps he's getting. Its a long season.

He has done nothing,period. 3 tackles after 3 games. Get him out of here!.

Richard

As Richard said, 3 tackles in 3 games. Inexcusable from a veteran who we were counting on to be a playmaker. He’s a starter on offense, even if he’s rotating, so snaps are no excuse. He’s platooned with Lavarias but the latter has outperformed him so far.

He’ll be this year’s Aaron Hunt, I think.

Some food for thought on the Als offense from the Globe. I agree that the Als offense was in decline last year and am not so sure we would not have had problems this year even if Trestman was still here.

It’s not ideal, but the players will tell you there’s only one thing to do.

“Repetition,? Calvillo said, “is really the only solution.?

Offensive assistants Doug Berry and Mike Miller introduced a bevy of new plays when the reins were handed to them, but have since throttled back, Calvillo said.

Even still, there’s a lot to absorb.

“Last year, there weren’t any dotted lines, if the pattern was 10 yards, it was 10 yards. This year, there are options, depending on the defence. But now that we’re getting more reps, we’re getting better at it,? the quarterback said.

There’s a temptation to think Hawkins violated the most sacred principle of all successful organizations – if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it – but that’s not entirely fair.

Last season, under head coach Marc Trestman, the Als slipped to a middle-of-the-pack offence in statistical terms.

Calvillo had his highest interception total in three years, his completion percentage and total yards fell from the previous year (he still topped 5,000 yards) and his passer rating has declined steadily since 2010.

Some of that doubtless has to do with things such as injuries and luck. But it could also be the rest of the CFL has noticed, for example, how Toronto Argonauts defensive co-ordinator Chris Jones has deftly flummoxed the Als with ever-shifting looks.

Full story:

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/alouettes-fumbling-away-their-reputation-as-offence-juggernaut/article13776196/?cmpid=rss1&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/f ... um=twitter[/url]

Yes, the decline began last season. When the All Star Squads were named I recall thinking to my self-" that Flory guy must be getting older" . Calvillo was starting to get really hit and, I wondered why Flory was named all star last season. I believe his reputation as a stalwart O lineman's history ( prior to last season) likely helped get the latest all star vote. I believe that in sports in general, an athlete who rates as all star for several straight years, has a "carry over"edge in all star voting where this pattern adds to a luster. Thus, I was not surprised when as AC was getting hit this early season, got injured after which Matte stepped in and our O line improved.

Should read- AC was getting hit this early season, Flory got injured after which Mate stepped in and our O line improved.

I like how that article glosses over the crippling number of injuries on offense in 2012. Green, Richardson, and Bratton all missed time due to injury. London played half a season before being on the shelf down the stretch. Whitaker blew out his ACL. We had to install a ground-based offense in the middle of the season. Our ST were awful and gave us no field position, ever. Our defense couldn't stop anyone. And yet we were still within a dropped Bratton catch of making it to the Grey Cup final. Very easy to rewrite history in hindsight if you ignore the facts...:wink: