off-side on a kick -off

for those who are as sharp as tacks around here , is the kicker who lines up off-side on a on-side kick not off-side?
I have seen this several times where he is at least a foot or more over with his left foot but this week a saw a kicker standing off-side to try to pooch it over to the sidelines.

thanks

I always wondered about that, but the rules only say that a player must be behind the ball at the moment it is kicked to be considered onside. It doesn't mention anything about beforehand. And I have always understood, although it doesn't seem to be specifically stated in the rules, that the kicker is always onside.

I think maybe the kicker is considered onside. There's this from the rule book:

[b]Article 6 – Onside & Offside[/b]

An onside player is a member of the kicker’s team who is behind the ball at the instant it is kicked towards the opponent’s Dead Line.

An offside player is a member of the kicker’s team who is not onside.

An offside player becomes an onside player when the ball, after being kicked towards the opponent’s Dead Line, touches or is touched by an opponent, the kicker or another onside player.

They all hang back a few yards on kickoffs so they can never line up offsides. If anyone goes offside it would be because the crossed the line the ball is on before the kicker did.

So to clarify you can't line up offside because they are a few yards back when they lineup and the kicker can't be offsides because he has to be the one that gets to it first and has to kick it before he can cross the line it's on anyway.

It all explains itself really.

Why do they say “the kicker will now try an on-side kick”

…that suggests to me that an “off-side” kick is also an option (do they practice “off-side kicks?”)

:? :wink:

Wow.. just WOW!@#

You don't know either? :wink:

LOL. Good one!

You actually asked if they practiced offside kicks. No such thing. A player can be offside. A kick can't. It's very simple.

An onside kick simply means they clearly show they are kicking it short (min. of 10 yards) as opposed to downfield.

Maybe if you concentrated more on the game itself sometimes rather than all the fluff around the game you might know a thing or two.

http://images.tvrage.com/cguide/118/6870.jpg

NEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR

Glad to see at least one person "gets " the joke :lol:

(but it is fun to watch the usual suspects dive all over it to somehow attempt to control, ridicule and humiliate someone...I don't even respond because it's a kick to witness) :lol: :lol:

There are also people that turn their ignorance into a veil of jokes.

Hand-wringing and stress is not a good thing. You need to relax and worry about something important and something that actually matters.

PS....Ignorance is a gift from above because when there is nothing to laugh about, you can always laugh at yourself :lol: :wink:

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The point of the original post was that on onside kicks, the kicker often lines up slightly in front of the ball, and then comes back to the ball to kick it. But as the rules don't specifically state, the kicker is always onside as he is behind the ball at the time of the kick, even if he starts his run up from an offside position, and every part of his body except his kicking foot is still in front of the ball.

but he is not on-side if at the point of contact his left leg and his body is beyond the 35 yard line.

But by definition (it seems), the kicker is always onside, even though it never explicitly states this in the rules. This can be inferred from the third paragraph of the “Onside / Offside” rule quoted earlier, where it states that a player becomes onside once the ball “touches or is touched by … the kicker or another onside player.” This seems to imply that the kicker is always onside.

Another question for the officials to answer, I guess. And maybe add a bit of clarification to the rule book?

Back in the old days the kickers were straight on kickers and nowadays the kickers are soccer style. So thus it’s true that the kickers left/right foot is slightly and/or a foot which appears to be off side; in essense: The kicker is always on side.