I know there is a thread started on Signing Free Agents, but what other work needs to be done in the offseason to get this team on track for another Championship? Now that the season is over, it Sialkot easier to look back at all that transpired and pin point things that went wrong. What are the weaknesses? What does the coaching staff and GM need to address? Chamblin's post game interview sounds like changes are coming....
IMO, here is what I think needs to be done ( and in no particular order)
- Get Durant Healthy. Make sure he has all the rehab needed, and get him back to normal.
- Find some back up QB Talent that they can put some faith in... Not sure about this Keith Price kid, but Sunseri, Doege and Joseph all need to go. Sunseri and Doege have had their opportunity, and have not shown enough to keep the experiment alive. Unfortunately, survival in this business is measured in wins, and these 2 guys have not shown enough to give the coaches confidence that they can win... This is why Joseph was brought in, and why he was given the opportunity to throw FIVE interceptions in the playoff game. Sunseri or Doege were never ever given the opportunity to throw 5... They would have been on the pine long before that.
- Re-sign Dressler, Heenan and Chick... Those are musts. Other free agents??? Who? Taman has to make sure he doesn't break the bank and as always, stay within the CAP.
- Re-evaluate coaching staff... IMO, the team needs a QB coach, a good special teams coach, and a good offensive line coach. As far as Cortez, I am still on the fence. The Riders may lose him anyway... He was a candidate for BC head coaching job before, and I don't think Benevides will survive after the Egg they laid today against Montreal..... Maybe Cortez gets recruited? Who knows... I wouldn't mind seeing Lapolice back within the organization.... He seemed to be a good offensive mind.
- Get some more speed at receiver...
- Continue to shore up Canadian depth. The combination of the expansion draft, free agency, and all the season ending injuries was too much for the Riders to overcome in 2014... This was evident in the poor play of special teams and kick return coverage. No excuse for the coach not to get new guys up to speed, but obviously the special teams did not have the best players....
- They need to figure out the kicking game.... IMO, they need to find a guy who is comfortable kicking in all the duties.
- they need to get a decent Middle Linebacker.
- they need to draft some good Canadian o-lineman... This pool needs to be replenished as Best, and Picard are not getting any younger.
I think that is it for now... It's getting late, and my brain is shutting down. I'm sure there will be a lot of differing views and opinions and will bring up additional points for discussion.