OFF SEASON TV #'s: HOCKEY WAY DOWN

To all those who thought the CFL TV numbers were a sign of the times, well we haven't seen anything like the meteroic drop in hockey numbers this year for virtually all of the Canadian teams, save and except the Oilers and Habs(RDS)

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061212.TRUTH12/TPStory/Columnists]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... Columnists[/url]

For those who have not seen the latest weekend top 10 variety here it is. If there is interest, please let me know and I will post on a weekly basis.

1. NHL, Hockey Night in Canada Saturday, Leafs-Wings CBC @ 1.173M ,down 16% from last year
  2. NHL, Hockey Night in Canada Saturday late game, Canucks-Flames CBC @ 751,000, down 30%
  3. NHL, Rangers-Senators Saturday CBC @476,000
  4. NFL, Sunday "early games" Global @ 373,000 as we have previously documented this is a bogus number involving more then one game, not a true reflection
  5. NFL, Sunday Saints-Cowboys Global @ 216,000
  6. Figure Skating, Sunday Skate America CBC @201,000, not a sport and you know the TV numbers are pretty desperate when this is included
  7. Hockey, Friday Flyers-Devils TSN @ 176,000 a bad number and further blows the TSN already lower ratings
  8. NBA, Sunday Blazers-Raprtors TSN @ 136,000 low numbers but considering the Raptors are previously in the lower two digits, this is an improvement

Thanks Argotom ... the Rangers-Sens game actually looks pretty good, considering how few people got that game instead of having the Leafs crammed down their throat ...

I'm interested to see how TV numbers do without the CFL around to watch. An early-to-mid season CFL game tends to get, what, 300,000ish TV viewers? Compared to an early-to-mid season NHL game - involving the Leafs and Wings no less - I think that's pretty respectable.

Also interesting to see the NFL games haven't picked up huge amounts of steam.

Granted, I'm mostly going on memory for how these compare to summer TV ratings.

As far as I can remember, Argos games DEFINITELY get more than 136,000 people watching them ...

Lots of reasons for sure. I like hockey but there is one thing about stopages in play like in football that actually, in my opinion, translate better to television as it gives you a break and try and figure what the teams are going to do next just like in football, strategic. In hockey now with less whistles I think with two line passess allowed the play goes on and on and your head just goes back and forth sort of thing but there isn't this analysis. Yes, more penalties now but the more I watch hockey the more I prefer football for the strategies and the stopages add to this. I don't know, just one theory here about hockey numbers dropping with the new rules.

Thanks ArgoTom, I find the numbers interesting and worth the peak once a week.

Please keep posting these TV #'s argotom, they're interesting. Thanks alot.

One little detail overlooked there about the NFL #'s . You mention those as being the #'s on Global , but the NFL is watched by many Canadians on American networks also not just Global. So how would the NFL #"s be if you combined all the stations broadcasting NFL to Canadians?

Good point, one I've wondered about myself ... unless the TV numbers from the American stations are so low that they don't make it in, or maybe (since Global tends to carry the same game as CBS, I think) they're lumped in.

Earl, I hear ya about the new NHL having not quite enough stoppages. Seems like an odd thing to gripe about, but I really notice it. It's not really that bad ... but a lot of the time, I start to think, "man, it's been a long time since a whistle, and nothing's really happening". Maybe the players get lulled into it, too. The otehr thing is, a lot of the time there seems like there should be a whistle - eg, icing waved off - so there isn't much going on, but there's also no whistles (granted, an example like that isn't specific to the new NHL - unless more icing calls are being dismissed as failed 2-line passes).

The best guess is the TV numbers for those boarder Canadian watchers is minimal at best.
The way I understand is the Neilsen ratings involve 1000 people Canada wide and each has a receiver like dish which registers channel watching and consequently the program in question. The statistics for those are then factored and based on percentages which when calculated are correct I believe 99 times out of 100 etc.
The American channels are so low they do not register on the scale. Consequently, the Neilsen people do not release same.

I believe Global's ratings numbers for NFL Sunday include all Canadians watching the game on the American channel also. Global's broadcast is substituted on the American channel by the cable company. Global would be foolish not to include those watching their program on the American channel in their ratings. It is standard practice in the broadcasting industry to combine these ratings as they are a true reflection of the audience watching their program.

When Global announced their ratings for the Super Bowl at 3 million, they are including all those watching the Super Bowl on the American cable channel. Even if it is small, it is always included, as they can then charge more for their advertisements.

Plus, the Canadian channels simulcast the American feed so that it is all one.