Off Season Timewaster #3

You are not restricted, if any of you have other thoughts to post in Timewasters 1 and 2, please do go right ahead.

But here's the third one for this offseason.

Movies.

What are your favourite movies? As in, what movies can you watch over and over and never ever get tired of them, to the point where you could watch it with the mute button on, and provide the dialogue yourself word - for - word ?

Mine are:

1. Casablanca (Bogart and Bacall, need I say more)

2. A Christmas Carol (of course, the Alastair Sim version)

3. Patton (George C. Scott IS Patton; in the Eisenhower miniseries done some time ago, they had Robert Duvall playing Eisenhower, which was pretty good casting, but they had Darren McGavin playing Patton. . . sorry, WRONG)

4. Tora Tora Tora (although somewhat condensed, it's pretty accurate historically, unlike that dreadful, unwatchable, Ben Affleck soap opera)

5. The Count of Monte Cristo (the 1975 version with Richard Chamberlain, Donald Pleasance, Louis Jourdan, Tony Curtis, and Trevor Howard. . . it holds accurate to the classic novel, not like the James Caviezel version, which is dreadful not least because they change the ending, he gets the girl in the end, which ruins the whole meaning of the novel)

1- The Quiet Man — John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara, great supporting cast, great story !

2- Cool Hand Luke— Paul Newman, fantastic supporting cast !

3- Whiskey Galore— Old BnW film about a Scottish island.

4- Braveheart-- Not historically correct, but an entertaining flick anyway.

5- The Great Escape-- I got to meet and talk to Wally Floody, who was portrayed by Charles Bronson as the tunnel king in the movie.

Just a few of my favourites. Another good idea. Jack !!!

Good,the Bad and the Ugly - Clint Eastwood
Wizard of Oz - Judy Garland
One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest - Jack Nicholson
Apocalypse Now - Martin Sheen, Marlon Brando
Papillon - Steve McQueen

Good,the Bad and the Ugly - Clint Eastwood
Die Hard - Bruce Willis
Outlaw Jose Wales - Clint Eastwood
Best of the best - Eric Roberts, James Earl Jones
Pale Rider - Clint Eastwood

Thats it for starters. The last two not so much for the whole movies but for the endings.

I cannot disagree that this is one of the greatest, most charming movies ever. Thanks for reminding me of it Dan :slight_smile:

Good choices Dan. . . but I'd quibble with #1.

Not saying that you shouldn't like that movie, and I'm not saying anything negative about the Duke. . . it's just a personal thing. . . for some reason I cannot put my finger on, I just can't abide Maureen O'Hara. Didn't like the other movies she did with the Duke either. .. there's just something about her that grates on my nerves.

And for those not familiar with this little known gem, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8yzzDyGEoY

My favourite all-time movie is "Airplane". I have seen it many times, and it still makes me laugh. (Dropping off my brother-in-law at the airport this morning, and we heard an announcement in the parkade. Both of us immediately started quoting, " 'The The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a red zone.' ' No, the red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in a white zone' ")

Mine will of course be a bit newer as I am not quite as ancient as the posters before me :wink: , but here are a few of mine in no particular order.

Anchorman
Super Troopers
Usual Suspects
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
Shawshank Redemption
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

1. Shawshank Redemption - people should read the book as well

2. Bull Durham

3. The Alamo - John Wayne version, Billy Bob Thornton was a whimpy Davy Crockett

4. Robin Hood - Errol Flynn

5. Tombstone

I'll agree to a point, Stampsfanatic. .. the Duke's version, even though it is wildly inaccurate historically, is superior to the one with Thornton. To my mind, the best version is one seldom seen, it was a made for TV version in 1987, called "13 Days to Glory", starring Brian Keith as Crockett, James Arness as Bowie, Alec Baldwin as Travis, and Raul Julia as Santa Anna. Julia darn near stole the show with (to my mind) the best characterization of Santa Anna, and I do believe Keith's performance as Crockett was nearest to what the guy was actually like.

I first saw this movie when I was about ten. I loved it, something seemed familiar. Then my Grandfather told me it was filmed on the island my ancestors came from. I had recognized the castle in the bay from pictures he had shown me. Regardless of the locale, this is still an interesting and humorous film based on true events.

[quote=“MadJack”

Mine are:

1. Casablanca (Bogart and Bacall, need I say more)

Well Jack, since you don’t like O’Hara, THEN I’ll tell you I don’t like Ingrid Bergman all that much, and I’m pretty sure she’s the one opposite Bogey in Casablanca. I do like Lauren(sultry)Bacall and it’s easy to mix things up since they made a few movies similar to Casablanca in storyline.

A few modern ones I like.

Dennis the Menace with Walter Matthau. One of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

Second-hand Lions. A lot of people don't get this movie. I think it's hilarious and well written.

You got me Dan, Bogart and Bergman, not Bacall. Don't know what came over me. . .

1. Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (dubbed in English)

2)Dr. Strangelove

This is truly serendipitous !( There's that word again.).. I am about 3/4 through a pretty accurate novel on the Alamo. Why it happened and all the characters involved. I don't think an American filmmaker would ever portray any of those guys accurately. None of them were pillars of society and Santa Anna was probably the most civilized of them all ! Almost every one was heavily into dealing slaves and smuggling. A lot were murderers, thieves and cutthroats. The reason they were in Texas, which was a province of Mexico, was to evade arrest for crimes committed in the US. This shows you how history is written by the winners.

Patton is another good movie, Jack.

Jeremiah Johnson- just a good story.

Usual suspects- Billy soup- a thinking movie.

Captains Courageous. Tracy, Barrymore and Freddie Bartholomew

You Can't Take It With You- Jimmy Stewart, Jean Arthur( got a crush on her), Barrymore again and Edward Arnold

Some Like It Hot- MARILYN

Goodness, so many to choose from but here goes. Some of my all time favourites but none would qualify where I could press the mute button and quote the dialogue off by heart. Let's just say I've watched them repeatedly:

1. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
  2. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
  3. Predator
  4. A Christmas Carol [1951 version]
  5. Contact [Jodie Foster]
  6. Alien

They most certainly were not, Dan, you are correct there.

I'll put that down to hyperbole, Dan. . .because I can't agree there. Bowie, Crockett, Travis, Sam Houston, all were ne'er-do-wells to varying degrees, but they never ever treated prisoners to the massacres that Santa Anna committed, such as he did at Goliad.

An oft-repeated statement, and in many cases it is true. . . but in other cases it is not.

when it comes to John Wayne, my fav is Rio Bravo. Mostly because it had Walter Brennan and Dean Martin.