Off-Season Moves So Far

Very funny and true point my friend. :slight_smile:

You get an A+ for that answer zenā€¦lol

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My view on the Thompson trade is this if OBIE saw him on the decline I feel he traded him while he still had a high market value and thats the case as well with P-ROD. I rate that trade as an A

As well I grade the Setta release as an A he was unproductive import who cost a lot. In turn we get better and a NI at that. Overall its been a good offseason in terms of releases and FA's now to wait and see camp and the rookies he has brought in before we determine this season as a success.

PR leading the league in receiving yards last year???
326 yards and 2 TDs through the first 7 games would not have led the league last year.
Arland Bruce had 295 and 3 TDs in his first 3 games with the Cats.

Obie gets an "A" for signing DeAngelis alone. He'll account for 2-3 wins by himself every year. The rest of the moves amount to just shuffling cards in a deck.

An Argo-Cat fan

Alright maybe he isn't yet, but you saw what he could do when given the opportunity to start, he was leading the league in recieving yards last season until he got hurt. And i'd think you would agree 73 catches for 971 yards and 6 touchdowns in 15 games is a hell of a season. In my mind he definitely will establish himself as an elite go to reciever this season if given the opportunity to play 15+ games. Besides, some people on here(and riders fans :D ) seem to think Prechae Rodriguez is a bonified all-star.
[b]PR leading the league in receiving yards last year???? 326 yards and 2 TDs through the first 7 games would not have led the league last year. Arland Bruce had 295 and 3 TDs in his first 3 games with the Cats.[/b]
They were definitely talking about Mann

B&G knows his football folks and his is the best take on these trades and moves iā€™ve seen so far.

I agree with you there as well. Armchair GMā€™s of the world unite you have nothing to lose.

Exactly!!

Thatā€™s really funny but thats what most people do on this site. :lol: fart

In respionse to the comment that "some people think they know so much that they can grade a professional "

This is all in fun and just a a way ti initiate conversation on the moves by OBIE .

I know that OBIE will have forgotten much more than all of us will ever know about CFL football but it is fun to talk amongst ourselves about what we think aboiut each move not to evaluate OBIES's job but more to see what everyone collectively thinks as many times people point out things I was unaware of such as personal issues, injuries , contract problems --$$ , conflicts with other players, coaches , playbook issues , new players beating out vets etc that come into play in trades

this

Itā€™s hilarious that a fan of a team that hasnā€™t even made it to the Grey Cup game in a decade doesnā€™t have any defined middle ground short of ā€œwinning the Grey Cup.ā€

What if Obie takes you guys to, say, the division final this year, and the Grey Cup game in 2011 and 2012? Is that considered ā€˜no progressā€™?

ā€œDefined middle groundā€ is for LOSERS!!!

Who wants to think like that.

Thereā€™s a very simple response to this, but it would likely violate board rules, so I donā€™t think Iā€™ll make it.

Instead, Iā€™ll just say that thereā€™s nothing wrong with setting achievable short-term and long-term goals on the way to the ultimate prize (winning the Grey Cup). Instead of defining success as an all-or-nothing proposition, how about trying to field a top-ranked team every season? If your only measuring stick is winning the Grey Cup, only two years removed from a 3-15 record, youā€™re setting yourself up for disappointment.

Anything less than a grey cup win is FAILURE!! in my honest opinion, losing the eastern final at home in Ivor Wynne is as good as not making it to the playoffs, not businesswise or media opinion wise but from a pure game of football standpoint. I hope to god every player thinks like me and is thoroughly mad at how last year ended and is not just happy that we improved from the year before.

Each year is new all past years should be forgotten, there meaningless to this years outcome. Thereā€™s only 9 teams, the odds are there. you dont have to build your team over the course of a near decade to win a grey cup. I honestly expect a grey cup win each and every year.

Thats the exact attitude that prevents teams from winning when its put into practice. From a GM perspective one must build for today AND plan for the future. If winning today is the only priority teams tend to make deals for players that only give one year of service for those that give many years of service and championships to their new teams. From a player and coaches point of view I agree that anything less than a championship should not be considered a success. From a fans point of view I'll take a couple seasons of close with the expectation that we will stay on course providing entertaining football that will result in a championship in time without having to endure a rebuilding process every 2 or 3 seasons.

Why should the fans expectations be so much less than the management and teams? WE pay to see them!

I dont pay to watch the future. I dont give a crap what the ticats are like in 2011 until 2011, all I know is they have no reason not contending for the grey cup in 2010 and I wonā€™t expect less.We pay/watch to see them win never to see them lose and if you watch/pay to go to all games Iā€™d figure you must expect weā€™d win them all at least for a small amount of time, and if not wellā€¦thatā€™s too bad.

And I'm glad you are not in charge as a result of your short sighted attitude. We as fans should expect the team to be competitive year in and year out. your way of thinking won't achieve that. A balance approach will win just as many Cups as the never ending rebuilding you would advocate. Lose in the playoffs and blow it up just won't guarantee you a winner very often but guarantees you will field some really bad teams over a period of time. A good GM needs to keep a clear head and not panic. Its helpful if the fan base does the same. Of course that does not mean that losing is acceptable, only that you understand and accept that the team can't win every year. The Als are doing it right. They've been good for years and have won a couple of times. That may mean they are losers to you because they came up short so many times but I don't agree

Well if you donā€™t win what are you?

Iā€™m not advocating rebuilding every year (thatā€™s a horrible idea and doesnā€™t do well for winning) Iā€™m advocating the right fans have to expect a grey cup win each year.

I understand the team cant win every year but I see no reason to not expect it, I can live with the disappointment of losing(Iā€™ve been a ticat fan my whole life) itā€™s football thereā€™s worse things that could happen. I just donā€™t see the fun in thinking like a general manager or owner always planning stuff for the future, they can do it and I know they need to but I donā€™t.

I want to win, I just donā€™t see winning the Grey Cup every year as even remotely possible. If you are saying that anything less than a grey Cup is a failure you are setting yourself up for an awful lot of failure. Would I like to win every year, damned straight. Will I try to win every year yes again but with the proviso that it doesnā€™t guarantee complete ineptitude the following 2 or 3 years. With your attitude weā€™ll see plenty of ineptitude. Thats unacceptable