Off-Season Moves So Far

1. Letting Gagne Marcueux go and potentially giving highly rated Rottier , Carlson, and Morrencie - A GRADE
  2. Trading Presche for basically nothing - D GRADE ( I really think we could have gotten more for him or should not have given up on him so easily ) --if that kick returner we picked up turns out to be good then i’s a C GRADE

Overall , I do like that OBIE is not afraid to make moves as it keeps people performing.

1. Trading thompson for Mann . Unless Mann becomes an elite goto reciever then I don’t like this deal because thompson is one of the best DB’s in the league and was our best . — C GRADE

2. Letting Goodspeed go and then signing Jiminez . - B GRADE ( Goodspeed is a warrior but owed alot of meoney and he is getting older —Jiminez is younger and likley cheaper and OBIE knows him well

3. DB free agent signing POOLE AND SHIVERS - A GRADE ( These guys are both high draft picks that hit hard and are not being paid much yet )

4. Letting go Setta - B GRADE
    a fan fav but an import —tough to do but we will have an extera import elsewhere now either 4 americans on the dline or an extra import at reciever…

5. D-Angelos SIGNING ---- A GRADE --still young and very proven and a candian helping with the ratio ----local boy too

I’d like to see them grab one good rush end if they can and maybe a few more import recievers and db’s for a look see .

uhhh Mann is an elite go to reciever.

1. Letting Gagne Marcueux go and potentially giving highly rated Rottier , Carlson, and Morrencie - A+ GRADE

2. Trading Prechae - C+ GRADE --if that kick returner we picked up turns out to be good then it's a B GRADE

3. Trading thompson for Mann . Unless Mann becomes an elite goto reciever then I don't like this deal because thompson is one of the best DB's in the league and was our best . --- A- GRADE

4. Letting Goodspeed go and then signing Jiminez . - B GRADE ---

5. DB free agent signing POOLE AND SHIVERS - A GRADE

6. Letting go Setta - B- GRADE

7. D-Angelos SIGNING ---- A+ GRADE --

that's IMO anyways

Completly agree with your comments.

I would only add that trading P.R was an F for all the same reasons, and trading CT would have been a D- except for the two signing of which bumps it up to a C.

Overall, I would rate a C-....however, willing to give it a B if we can win 2 more games this year over last.

I'd rate the PreRod trade an A plus. He wasn't going to be more than a 3rd man here. He has never beaten anyone with speed or crisp patterns. He battles for balls but thats it. We get a non-import in return that is going to make our lineup and is an upgrade on Cory Grant as a backup to Stalla and Bauman. Non imports that can play are gold. The fact we get a shot at a legit star kick returner is a bonus. If we get that guy its a hugely onesided deal. IMO PreRod won't ever be what people thought he was during his incredibly streaky rookie season. He just not that good, even worse since he got hurt

Here how I would grade each move

1 Letting Gagne Marcueux go and potentially giving highly rated Rottier , Carlson, and Morrencie - B GRADE
2. I think we okay in the Presche- B GRADE We have too Tall WR Coming in and we need a Kick Retuner.
Plus a Draft pick next year.

1. Trading thompson for Mann . Unless Mann I give this Deal B Agree Thompson at this point is the better player
    But if Mann can be faster Version of Presche We win this deal.

2. Letting Goodspeed go and then signing Jiminez . - A GRADE
    Goodspeed had lost Step and he was Owned in the playoff Game.

3. DB free agent signing POOLE AND SHIVERS C- GRADE
    We don't how this guys will play in our system.

4. Letting go Setta - A GRADE Better is better .

5. D-Angelos SIGNING ---- A GRADE - Best Field Goal Kicker in the League.

Over All I give him a B+ So far.

By what standard? He's never broken 1000 yards in a season, his max number of TDs in one season is 6, and he's only been in the CFL for three years.

Mann may well have the potential to be an elite go-to receiver, but his body of work doesn't prove it yet. And as we all know, you can't write cheques off potential.

I give you a "D" for your grading.

How can you give the Prechae trade a "D" when you have not seen the players acquired?
Prechae was not even a #1 reciever on his Auburn team, and was owed A LOT of money too.
He was behind Rodgeriqus Smith who is trying out for our team as a rookie this year.

You give Obie an "A" for not re-signing a guy....wow that was easy, I could do that.

I agree blackandgold. It's sad but it seems many fans can't see past the tip of their nose. Almost as if they have no real understanding of football.

If you look back at Obies history whether he was a coach GM or personnel guy he has a very good track record of always making teams better, tougher and in turn more competitive. He has been winning for decades at every level yet some short sighted fan thinks they know better.

Whats with the dramatic love for Prechae? The guy looked disinterested last season and even when he was healthy, it was obvious that the receivers we had out there were better. Yes he had a great rookie season, but look at the receivers that we had last year... he quickly went from a #1 to a #3 or 4 receiver over night. Bruce, McDaniel, Stala, James and now Mann would all be ahead of him on the depth chart. It was a good trade for the purpose of getting something for him and not letting him to to Toronto by trading him out west.

The PR trade is still up in the air, it all hinges on this star showing up and if hes any good. Not catching the ball consistently for a kick returner is not a good sign lads. We'll see if this is an other bone head Tom Canada trade.

For all intents and purposes......

PR = Tony Miles.

1. Trading thompson for Mann . Unless Mann becomes an elite goto reciever then I don't like this deal because thompson is one of the best DB's in the league and was our best . --- C GRADE

3.DB free agent signing POOLE AND SHIVERS - A GRADE ( These guys are both high draft picks that hit hard and are not being paid much yet )

You have to look at these trades as one trade..... Poole and Shivers own a cleaning company in southern Ontario together. My guess is that OBIE released very quickly that they would rather stay together than sign with seperate clubs. By taking both of them its a win win for them and the ticats. Now since he already knew he was going to be able to sign both of them he then felt that Thompson could be traded to get a high quality reciever.

On Ticats TV Obie said that they were concerned that Thompson's play tailed off last year.
I tend to think that Obie had the plan in place.
He heard that Poole and Shivers wanted to stay together and in Southern Ontario because of their business.
The Argos are a disaster, so that leaves the Cats.
That would give us too many DBs. Why not trade Thompson for Mann and upgrade with P and S.
Now that he had Mann, Bruce and McDanie, Prechae and his BIG contract is out of slot.
Trade Prechae for the KR this team has needed since Thrill Hill was sent packing and save some bucks along the way.
Obie must have a big smile on his face every morning when he wakes up!
Sweet off season moves. Lets see what Obie has planned for acquiring a punter, we know he has a plan!!!

Prechae was expendable......and frankly wasn't a very good receiver in the sense of being able to break down a zone with precise patterns or beat man to man with blazing speed. He wasnt very good at getting YAC yards and his hands were so-so. What he was good at was going up for those jump balls, but are you going to pay him big bucks for that??? The way I see it, he was toast by the end of training camp, and whatever Obie got for him was more than if he would have flat out released him.

Don't tell SSK. They think they stole the next Allen Pitts.

If we win the Grey Cup this year: A+
If we win the Grey Cup next year: A
If we don’t win the Grey Cup within the next three years: C
If we don’t make any progess at all: F

“If” being the key word. Time will tell. Until then, In Obie I Trust.

The PR trade does not hinge on anything in my opinion since he is not good enough with the receivers we have now to make this team and would have been released outright.

I thinks it's really funny, that so many on here think they know so much, they can GRADE a professional at HIS job....lol

Alright maybe he isn't yet, but you saw what he could do when given the opportunity to start, he was leading the league in recieving yards last season until he got hurt. And i'd think you would agree 73 catches for 971 yards and 6 touchdowns in 15 games is a hell of a season. In my mind he definitely will establish himself as an elite go to reciever this season if given the opportunity to play 15+ games. Besides, some people on here(and riders fans :smiley: ) seem to think Prechae Rodriguez is a bonified all-star.