Off-season football talk

That's what I think. It's a glaring loophole that teams will choose to exploit, or not, based on their own financial constraints and their own view of sportsmanship. Those who exploit the loophole will have a competitive advantage over those who do not.

2 Likes

2 years
If Teams are referring to "New salary cap requirements"
This would hint at collusion wouldn't it??

It need only refer to what Edmonton is doing with the cap ... unless all teams do exactly the same thing I doubt it qualifies as collusion ... think they are all going to reduce payroll because of economic realities.

1 Like

It appears John Hodge feels the same as I do

1 Like

It cant be collusion if its not secret. If they are open about it , its not collusion.

Teams have always been allowed to spend to the cap floor. I don't see the big deal and 3Down is making a big deal out of nothing ( shocking). All these contracts being announced will mean nothing when the season gets delayed 4 to 8 weeks anyways. There's no way these owners will allow play without fans, so players will not be paid for a full 18 games in 2021.

1 Like

That's the point of the restructuring. They're giving the QBs up front money that is essentially guaranteed to take less "salary".

So you're suggesting the owners and players had a meeting where both sides were present?
Cause it leaking to the media doesn't mean it's not secret.

Since the EE football team accidentally "spilled the beans" when they said “in order (to) meet new salary cap requirements” and then walked it back 3 1/2 hours later with a "revised" press release "The press release sent earlier today included a factual error, please see the amended release below with corrected information." eliminating the phrase “in order (to) meet new salary cap requirements” to me means this "spending to the floor" is/was supposed to be kept secret. It is the only logical conclusion a reasonable person could make.

@GiasoneItaliano I agree somewhat with what you say, however there is another option you did not (I think) consider. Just like the NFL this year, the CFL could perhaps play (the first half of the schedule?) with limited (a few thousand) fans in the stands. They could hold a raffle for STH. Those that want to take part would have a chance to be one of 3 thousand or so winners who actually attend games. The fans would have the option of either agreeing with this option, or receive their tickets' cost back for games they don't attend. (BTW I imagine all blue team STHs would likely be able to attend as I don't think they have a lot of STHs).

Well one of the CFL agents Darren Gill has suspicions

1 Like

Always thought this could get ugly. Here we go.

1 Like

With all provinces being criticized for opening too soon, I don’t think there will be any fans in CFL stadiums until vaccines are given to a vast majority and then it will take proving your vaccinated for entry. If we are extremely lucky then maybe by Labour Day some fans allowed. The CFL can sign all the players they want to try to keep it in the news but it’s all marketing and wishful thinking at the moment. I give them credit for at least trying.

2 Likes

There is no way the CFL will play with very limited or no fans. The current ownership groups will reduce the number of games until at least 50% capacity is allowed and will only pay the players for games played. My proof is the fact that they refused to play in 2020 once the government would not give them an interest free loan . Unless TSN pitches in to pay the difference in revenue ( in other words give the league more money) the season will not start until much later in the summer. My guess would be Labour Day weekend. I hope I am wrong.

2 Likes

The Canadian NHL teams have all been green-lighted to play in their home arenas, so I submit it is a possibility. (Not sure of the fans in the stands, though).

Don't know if this report caught the attention of TiCat Forum regulars.
A link, in case not:

2 Likes

The RedBlacks have extended WR Jalen Saunders, who they first signed for 2020.
He was great, here, in '17 and on track to post even greater stats in '18 before his knee injury. I look forward to seeing him play, again, only wishing he'd had more time as a TiCat.

2 Likes

I do not look forward playing against Jalen.

He's an excellent receiver and will keep our D on their toes!

1 Like

One way to stop Jalen would be to put the RB QBs on their backs . That is a much tougher throw . :upside_down_face:

Pat Lynch ( Congrats to Coach Belichick )

3 Likes

Monday morning ( sort of) rant...
After the slew of restructurings and resignings across the league, my gut says there must be an agreement from the owners to play a season , even if there are limited to no fans in the stands. Why else would all these non-quarterbacks agree to these new contracts with many of them receiving no upfront money? What incentive could players, especially American Players, have to sign these deals, especially with the XFL starting up in 2022 and the NFL most likely continuing to have expanded Practice Rosters due to Covid for at least one more season. Plus I just re-read the commissioner's Mid December statement where he said "Wouldn't it be great if all Canadians could be vaccinated by the time we have our Grey Cup". He didn't say "by June" . His actual timeline is pretty realistic so he knows there is no way everyone will be vaccinated before October, but they still are making plans for the season. Plus spending to the cap floor and 20% cuts overall, means they are trying to reduce financial loses. The best way to reduce the most loses would be to cancel the season, and they seem to be working very hard not to do that. I still think being the only pro football on TV from June to September will help sell the league moving forward and will help shed this "failed or dead" league perception. I also think TSN is getting a huge bargain at 50 million and should be paying at least 25% more for those TV rights.
One of the things that makes me feel I could be wrong is that if what I say is true, then why wouldn't the league announce "We're playing 18 games no matter what!!!" and go on a huge media blitz repeating this. Actually I'm not a sure about my original opinion anymore.
Am I being logical or just dreaming?

3 Likes

Your "rant" didn't appear very critical of anything the league is doing. As for making such an unequivocal statement, my guess would be that they want to maintain flexibility. That is, they may collectively opt for something less, like a 12-game or 9-game season, to minimize the number of games played to empty seats.

My gut says that the owners would take the hit of playing some number of games with no fans, even knowing that they will lose money, because those losses would be less than the long-term damage that would result from missing two full seasons.

3 Likes