Off-season football talk

It seems to me the whole team was jacked on some kind of cocoa puffs for the final!

1 Like

I find it amazing how everyone just forgot about his cheating in the season he won the grey cup.

I'm also dismayed that I was not allowed to purchase a spot on the cup base under the name Harris Cheatz.

Could you imagine if someone like Simoni was caught using PED's, and we won the Cup?

Double standards I guess.

1 Like

I recall Simoni being caught cheating, for which he was suspended and then allowed to play the rest of the season and in the Grey Cup. If Hamilton had won, Iā€™m sure his name would be on the Cup now.

which furthers the patheticness of some within CFL fanbase.

steroids being compared to a late hit.

You do you, as wrong as you are.

3 Likes

How is a late hit ā€œcheatingā€? His actions did not potentially improve his performance the rest of the year like the PED Poster Boy.

2 Likes

hence my point about double standards.

we have actual CFL fans, real people, who consider a late hit the same as cheating with steroids.

what a fanbase the CFL has :frowning:

1 Like

His cheating caused a brain injury to an opposing player who had to then leave the game. That cheating gave Simoniā€™s team a much improved chance at performing well.

I consider both forms of cheating to be serious infractions, and Iā€™d support harsher punishments for both. Wouldnā€™t you?

Nobody is talking about punishments. The comment was about ā€œeveryone forgetsā€.

Simoni became public enemy #1 including harassment and threats via social media and Harris was seen as ā€œovercoming adversityā€.

One was a split second decision, the other was a pre-planned attempt to cheat the system and rules for fairness and competition that are in place.

Iā€™d argue only 1 of them seems to have to live with consequences now.

6 Likes

I think both made deliberate choices to break the rules. Simoniā€™s choice caused a brain injury to another player. He was rightfully suspended for that choice.

Harris was also rightfully suspended for his choice.

Harris is the one continually harassed about it in these parts. Iā€™m just pointing out that double standard.

Personally, I wouldnā€™t have complained about either cheater being gone for the year.

Again, please explain how a late hit is cheating. To make it easier for you here is the dictionary definition:

2 Likes

One was a split-second mistake, and the other took steroids knowing FULL WELL that it was cheating. For that reason alone, Harris does not deserve the honour of having his name on the Cup. It should be permanently scratched out.

Did you watch the Grey Cup?

One of the players was villified as a head hunter, the other overcame adversity and redeemed himself.

I puked at least 1000 times listening to it.

You wouldnā€™t know Harris tested positive for PEDs based on the 4 hours of coverage. Does that make any sense?

2 Likes

Pathetic argument :angry::-1::pensive::face_vomiting:

1 Like

No, it doesnā€™t. I am in favour of villifying or forgiving both players for their egregious transgressions; I oppose villifying one while forgiving the other.

When someone cheats, they do not a set of rules which they should be obeying, for example in a game or exam.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/cheat

to behave dishonestly, or to not obey rules, for example in order to win a game or do well in an examination.

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/cheat_1

Simoni clearly cheated by not obeying the rules. He cheated in a wreckless and violent way, and thatā€™s why he was suspended for two games, the same length Andrew Harris got for his cheating.

So by your logic taking PEDs is the same as jumping offside.

Got it.

3 Likes

When was the last time a player earned a 2-game suspension for offside?

Letā€™s not kid ourselves; Simoniā€™s infraction was serious and dangerous. That kind of play has no place in the sport.

1 Like

Not the point. Itā€™s cheating.

ā€œCheatingā€ within the confines of the game is completely different than outside the game.

Thatā€™s the point I think everyone is trying to make. Nobody defends the hit. But people actually try to defend premeditated cheating with continued lying.

Theyā€™re not even close to the same thing.

Just like when the Saints were targeting players BEFORE the game serious suspensions were given. The hits themselves werenā€™t even illegal

2 Likes

I think posters here are downplaying the seriousness of the hit.

As I stated, Iā€™m all for more serious punishments for PED cheats like Harris.

But Iā€™m also for more serious punishments for dangerously violent cheats like Lawrence.

Thereā€™s a reason both were given 2-game suspensions. The league held them to the same standard, and I also hold them to the same standard.

You couldnā€™t be more wrong.

Simonis hit was given the harshest punishment ever for a first time offender. It was an arbitrary decision made by one person and based on other hits and other players it was excessive. While I agree the hit itself deserved a large response, the league just chose to wake up one morning and have a conscience. Based on history that was a 1 game suspension.

Harris suspension was already spelled out in the CBA and there was no room for interpretation. The CFL drug policy states a 2 game suspension for a first time offender.

They were absolutely not held to the same standard unless every late/dirty hit on a QB receives an automatic two game suspension regardless of the individual, QB or the result of the hit (injury).

After that hit every play Simoni made on the field was judged and looked at a different way for the rest of the season. He was 100% held to a different standard after that hit.

To say the league treated both offenses the same is laughable.
If that was the case Harris would have been given 1 year or permanent ban as the harshest penalty for his infraction.

4 Likes