Odd Alouette move...

...the Alouettes are pulling a weird one today...sorry I can't post a link to this as I heard it on the radio during the drive in this morning, maybe later a story will surface that can legitimize what I heard...

...normally before a game the visiting and home teams will make themselves available to the press, and this is usually done at the 'walk-through' portion of their pre-game practice....so while the coaching staff are making sure everyone is remembering their line-up assignments there is generally time for reporters to grab a player here-and-there to capture a sound-byte or two...

...but the Als, for reasons unknown and at the chagrin of the media, have decided to not make themselves available to the press during their walk-throughs, they will be closed to the public, and instead will only arrange press access at their hotel by pre-booking through their PR guy...

...so in this gate-driven league, where exposure sells tickets and access to players is almost a given, this seems an odd bit of strategy....

I wonder if they don't want to rehash last year's GC game.. the questions about that would be almost a given, and maybe Trestman wants them to focus on this season... just a thought.

I guess there isn't a league policy (rule not the right word) in the CFL like the NHL insitituted after the lockout where players have to be accessible, in the NHL's case, in the dressing room. I don't know?

...I don't think there is a policy either Earl...I remember last year Hufnagel pulled the same thing, closing a practice to the public, and faced critisism as a result and I believe a slap on the wrist administered by Cohon...so the Als avert the league lecture by saying their players are 'available', albeit in a locale removed from the stadium...

...to add to the media inconvenience the Als have stated that the time slot for the press to access their players is exactly at the same time the Stampeders are making a visit to the Children's Hospital...so in these days of diminished staff the media will have to choose between one event or the other...

I think the league might have to step in and be more proactive with some policy to not allow coaches to do this sort of thing. I can sympathize with coaches to some extent but at the end of the day, we are talking entertainment and the CFL needs to be very receptive to getting the players media access as much as possible. It's a tough entertainment dollar out there right now.

Can't disagree with that.

It would seem that the Kelly regime in Winnipeg and the Popp regime in Montreal are this season's worst offenders in terms of getting into an adversarial relationship with the local press that covers them.

Counterproductive, in my opinion.

It's of course counterproductive in terms of media coverage and public proximity, but it's a great team decision, if we consider the tendancy of journalism to systematically exagerate the general coverage of events.

Look, if a coach or player can't handle the media, then they're in the wrong business IMHO. The media will exagerate issues all they want. No disrespect to Michael Jackson, RIP Michael, but the coverage on TV from what I've seen is paramount to aliens taking over the earth or something. Seriously. But the media can concentrate on stories, issues as they deem fit. We have to get used to that.

:thup: with that.

But where do we draw the line between intense media coverage and over media coverage?

What's OK and what's not?

Als have lied to Montreal beat guys about rookie camp last year and this year denied them access. The Als are the least friendly team to the media by far, except of course when Larry Smith is trying to get public support or public money. It is starting to catch up to them...

I wouldn't read too much into it just yet. They didn't say they wouldn't be available to fans...just the press at a certain time. To me it seems like a smart move. Practice is practice walk through or otherwise. Maybe the press disrupted the practices too much.

Maybe hes getting even with Hoofanagel when he closes practice to the media.