Ochocinco?

Hfx:Thanks for the update on Phillips. I disliked him no doubt because of the baggage he brought with and, there were definite problems with his behavior in his year with the Als. I believe bringing these NFL vets who have demonstrated character issues is not good practice as, their behavior will create difficulties in the team. In addition, these overage players be they a Phillips, Chad O or a Pac Man Jones never seem to make the grade and, I have been surprised that Popp goes after these guys. In recent years Popp has brought in several overage NFL types without demonstrating success. I would rather our scouting focus be on younger players who have the potential to grow into new sets of skill. I believe our scouting should focus on these younger players or, those playing in Arena Football type of settings.

He was a serious maniac. He’s been deemed a dangerous offender by the California Justice System (3 strike law), he’s serving a sentence of 31 years without parole.

Je crois que le coup de mettre Johnson sur la liste de négos est un coup de publicité pour les Alouettes, comme on a vu récemment ceux de Ahman Green, Santiago, Jerry Porter, et même Tim Tebow qu'on ne verra jamais dans la LCF.

I don’t think so. According to papers Jim was irritated the news had been leaked. As for Green had he not hurt himself he would have made the team.

This kind of explains things:

[url=http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2014/03/21/jim-popp-na-pas-parle-a-chad-johnson]http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2014/0 ... ad-johnson[/url]

Popp était irrité, ou faisait la vierge offensée… :wink:

Disons que cette nouvelle sert quand même drôlement bien l’attention autour de l’équipe.

Pour ce qui est de Green, il est difficile de présumer qu’il aurait fait l’équipe alors que Whitaker s’est présenté en très grande forme, en pleine connaissance du livre de jeux et du système offensif. C’est possible, mais la vérité est qu’il s’est blessé et qu’on ne le saura jamais.

Selon cet article, on doit s’attendre à plusieurs coupures avant le camp d’entraînement parce que les Alouettes défoncent présentement le plafond salarial.

How can the team be busting a non existent salary cap ???

Popp might be working with last years cap or perhaps adding a nominal increase. Buono has been quoted as saying he is working with last years.

What I dont understand sometimes is why the cap situation and player cuts have to be settled in the off-season. Why not wait until after training camp? Isnt that what it`s for? You have potential injuries, newcomers that might out perform a veteran, etc. that can clarify decisions that have to be made.

I do think that it is/has been, for the Als and other teams, good excuses to cut players or ask players-such as Jamel Richardson and Brandon London- to accept a salary reduction or adjustments to salaries if players injured for 9 games; yes, I know that the salaries on 9 game injured list don't count against the cap,but it remains costs to the teams.

Richard

Might roster/reporting bonuses that have some (small) factor is off-season releases, and perhaps the training camp limit on players that could be factor if a team feels they have strong newcomers that are expected to replace a vet.

I think your right but it remains that he’s working with fiction. Can you imagine the blood letting that will happen if the CFLPA agrees to Cohon’s ridiculous proposal ! The union will find hundreds of their members HUNDREDS across the league being cut or facing drastic pay cuts or else situation after weeks of training camp or on the eve of the season.

Journal saying hes tweeted hell be at mini-camp:

L’ancien receveur étoile des Bengals de Cincinnati Chad Johnson pourrait bien prendre part au mini-camp d’entraînement des Alouettes, qui se tiendra en Floride du 15 au 17 janvier.

Vendredi, «Ochocinco» a indiqué sur Twitter qu’il participera à l’exercice printanier des Moineaux.

«Mardi, à Vero Beach, je serai à leur mini-camp/entraînement sur le terrain», a-t-il répondu à un abonné qui lui demandait s’il allait rejoindre l’équipe.

Sans contrat dans la NFL, Johnson se retrouve sur la liste de négociations des Alouettes. Le directeur-général de la formation Jim Popp avait cependant indiqué dans le passé qu’il ne faisait pas partie de ses plans immédiats.

Le receveur de passes de 36 ans a disputé 11 saisons dans la NFL, dont 10 avec les Bengals. Il est inactif depuis la saison 2011, alors qu’il avait réussi 15 attrapés pour des gains de 276 verges avec les Patriots de la Nouvelle-Angleterre.

Johnson totalise 766 attrapés pour des gains de 11059 verges avec 67 touchés en carrière dans la NFL.

Interesting. The Als asked Chris Carter to meet with him. I think he's a real longshot. At 36, he's been "retired" for two years. Dealing with the fast clock, big field and 18 game season !!!

Even the greatest CFL receivers who played their whole career up here slow down big time at 35. Flutie, Cahoon, Sapunjis,Steagall,Geroy...

Popp has shown that ex-NFLers have to play their way onto the field. Robert Edwards and Lawrence Philips delivered and were useful while others went to TC, fizzled and were gone. Pretty much a no-lose proposition.

Neither Edwards nor Philips were 36 years old when they went to TC with the Als.

Is this the best Popp can do?! A 36 year old retired ex NFL’er who has not played in two seasons?!
I would have much rather he had spent some time at one of the combines up north recruiting young talent than hoping Ochocinco finding the fountain of youth for a season :wink:

For every Robert Edwards, there's a Quincy Carter, O.J. Santiago, Jerry Porter, or Dominic Rhodes.

Robert Edwards, if I recall correctly, fumbled in a Grey Cup game which was a factor in a Grey Cup loss. Edwards was talented but, also psychopathic and now resides in a US gale. He's had a history of generating tension in most teams he played with. I don't like these older but flawed ex NFL types.

Spoke with Jerry Porter a few yrs ago. He said that a 5 nfl route is like a 30 yard cfl route. He wont pass his physical!

I did not predict success, just noted that such signings (let alone a mere tryout like this is) are not handed jobs, so it is a no/low risk roll of the dice.

Now that his all-encompassing, exclusive pursuit of Ochocinco is complete I am certain he will now turn his attention to other players. :roll: