Obie says 50-50 that Casey will be back

On the Hogan show Obie says he will re-open discussions with Casey about his contract and it is 50-50 whether he is in camp with the Cats this year.
I read it as it is 50-50 Casey will renegotiate his deal......if not.......Bye-Bye

Did not sound good for a Jessie return.
Obie said they are pretty set with American RBs, and they really are.

I just heard that. Obie didn’t seem too eager to speak to Casey so I think it is going to be a pretty cut and dry issue once they get back from the Senior Bowl.

Either you take a pay cut or you are out. And no starting job handed to you either. Obie didn’t even mention Porter’s name either but I am sure that is who his main competition is.

• paul

ps. I am having a simple little contest on my blog if anyone is interested.

Who Likes Free Stuff? Predict The Score Of Super Bowl XLIII And Win!

What's Casey going to cut his contract to? 300,000? Which is the same price that every other starting QB in this league makes?

I think Obie wants him on the cheap. Why not put a base of 150,000 with performance bonuses?

If Casey gets cut, the Argos will pick him up and overpay him, then release Joseph.

I think the main reason Obie wants Printers to take that pay cut is that Obie would like to trade Printers, and Printers is simply not tradable at his current salary.

I think with Rob Murphy stating publically that he will test free agency, Obie wants to get rid of Printers' salary so he can throw the bank at Murphy.

If we cut CP, we save 500,000! We could sign Murphy and still have 300,000 left!

I think Casey is closer to $400,000.
Then you need to pay his replacement(Timmy Changish type) lets say $75,000
So that would leave you closer to $325,000. Still is a lot of FA bucks!

Casey makes no where near that amount.

His contract was HEAVILY front loaded when he signed.

How much does Casey make? Does anybody actually know....not assumptions, however, actually know?

Only Obie, and he isn't telling.

Here is what actually was said on Hogie's Fan radio show this A.M.

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20090121_104615_43860

The last thing Obie said in answer to Hogie's question
about whether Casey Printers will be at Training Camp was

...'there is a 50/50 chance that Casey will be at Training Camp'

He also said he talked about a paycut with Casey at the end of the season
and he plans to talk to Casey again after he gets back from the Senior Bowl

Re: Lumsden

Obie needs to see how Jesse is going to heal
which won't likely be known until free agency.

He said it is hard to work the import/non-import ratio
when there is a big drop off in ability to his non-import back up.

He liked that fact that Jesse being a Canadian starter
allowed him to start an American at safety last year.

Hogie mentioned Jamall Lee and Obie seemed to think that
getting a back like that would make it easier to commit to Jesse.

Obie thinks that if he can't be counted on to play a full schedule,
Jesse will need to alter his thinking about what his role is.

P.S.

Casey is set to make approximately $425,000 this year.

That was quite a telling statement by Obie to come out and say that about Printers. I would think the thing to watch for is Porter resigning for three years or so, then Obie will be in the drivers seat with Printers.
I still think Printers was/is damaged goods the way he was throwing the ball at times. Similar to Jason Maas. You could see Jason had a bad shoulder by his delivery, of course the Ticat management line at the time was to deny deny, but it was eventually revealed that Maas did have shoulder problems.
I sometimes think QB’s get some nerve damage in their shoulder when driven shoulder first into the turf by those 260 lb DE’s.
The muscles heal but the nerve damage seems to take longer and affects the accuracy of their passes. That’s my take on it anyhow. Of course I can hear people now “there’s a lot of QB’s out there who must have nerve damage if it affects accuracy” :slight_smile:.
But I’m thinking of QB’s who once were fairly accurate passers, like Maas and Printers.

I have a gut feeling CP will take a substantial pay cut and stay in Hamilton, really, he needs to show something again for another team to be truly interested in him I think. We'll see.

[quote="ronfromtigertown"]Here is what actually was said on Hogie's Fan radio show this A.M.

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20090121_104615_43860

Re: Lumsden

Obie needs to see how Jesse is going to heal
which won't likely be known until free agency.

He said it is hard to work the import/non-import ratio
when there is a big drop off in ability to his non-import back up.

He liked that fact that Jesse being a Canadian starter
allowed him to start an American at safety last year.

Hogie mentioned Jamall Lee and Obie seemed to think that
getting a back like that would make it easier to commit to Jesse.[quote="ronfromtigertown"]

Obie also mentioned that he liked his stable of Import RBs.
It seems impossible to sign Jessie back, draft Lee, and still have Caulley, Keith, and Tre Smith in the fold.
Too much money tied up.
I personally would try to trade KK (and his BIG contract), sign Lumsden and draft Lee.

Wake up fans. Do you really think Obie would give his REAL starting QB only a 50-50 chance at being at camp? If he had any faith in Printers as his #1 this year, he would not have given such dismal odds. Damn, it's no better than a coin toss. One way or another, sooner or later, Printers is gone.

Same with JL.

An Argo-Cat fan

I'm inclined to agree with you, barney. I would like to see them both in Hamilton, but it doesn't look likely.

CP is darned expensive for what he delivers, and JL doesn't seem to be someone you can count on consistently. Though JL's a "ratio-buster" when he's playing, when he isn't, it messes things up quite a bit because as Obie says, it's a big drop-off to the next Canadian RB. So it tends to mean putting in an import to replace JL, and shifting the lineup elsewhere to make up for it.

Obie's doing his job... good to see.

RUMOUR has it that the Argos want Jesse
If Jesse leaves he will come back and burn the Tiger-Cats.
SIGN Jesse before the Deadline!

O'Shea may have burned us when he went to the Argos. But hasn't he tended to miss fewer games due to injuries?

Besides, the Argos are so bad now even a healthy jesse couldn't save them. :expressionless:

IMO i think jesse goes to edmonton. dont forget that the argos acquired Tyler Ebell from edmonton last season, and if they wanna re-sign dorsey, they need to insure him that he is gunna get some carries, signing Jesse Lumsden won't help that.

i think jesse goes to edmonton.

and i would like to see Printers go, all that cap room it would clear up, and i dont think he is well liked in the locker room either.

Porter is the guy :thup:

If Printers is not back, I wonder who besides Porter will be QB for us? We aren't nearly as deep at QB as we are at running back, and could be badly exposed if our starter goes down. Not to say there aren't some undiscovered gems out there, but we'll need to discover them and bring them in.

Well Mike Kelly in Winnipeg just acquired Stefan LeFors from his old team in Edmonton, and came out today and announced that he wants to trade Kevin Glenn:

http://www.cjob.com/Landing/Sports.aspx

Printers to Winnipeg for Glenn, perhaps?