Obie Looking For Help !!!!!

All I'm saying is that maybe Obie isn't convinced this is Taaffe's fault and is doing what he can to help him succeed.

I'm not going to say that I feel the coaching staff has done anything more than an average job, and agree that more than anything, the playing calling and preparation have been suspect at times, BUT ... I would prefer to have Obie focus on finding more talent than have to take over the coaching job. This team is still short on Import talent, and it particularly starts to show when the team gets injured, as we do not have much depth. IMO this is a bigger concern than the coaching.

PJ

Scotty dogg wrote,

Or maybe Obie and the front office realize that this is more than just Charlie’s fault and they now realize that they didn’t put adequate talent around the team for him to succeed.

I do believe our coaching is poor. Take a look at the Saskatchewan Roughriders. I think on paper we match up with that team. At QB we are stronger, but you wouldn`t know it, looking at our records.

I think Saskatchewan is a prime example of a well coached team. Wherein, Hamilton we have some talented players, but we lack in focused game plans and preparation.

Another thing to consider on the topic of whether Obie brought good enough talent into camp:

Obie inherited the negotiation list that Desjardins put together, and it will take time for him to make it his own.

There will be many players Obie has had his eye on for a while that he no longer has access to with the Ticats because he was high enough on them to add them to BC's negotiation list.

So while there were still many players available over the off-season, the ones Obie may have recently been coveting the most are exactly the ones he no longer had the CFL rights to.

We don’t match up well with Sask on paper.

QB - Maybe us
RB - Even
WR - Sask
OL - Sask
DL - Sask
LB - Us
DB - Even leaning on Sask
K - Even

Sask has players who have played together and know each other. The have experienced receivers we don’t. Our coaching staff is doing the best they can with the inexperienced talent they have. As much as most dont want to. You have to stay the course this season and see how it all comes together. That’s how you build a team.

Yes,

Scottydogg. I know how a team is built. Your comparison with Saskatchewan is with a healthy team. Right now, Saskatchewan is depleted. They have a 3rd string quarterback. Advantage us. When healthy our 3 rbs are better than Sask. Currently, they are without Fantusz, Dominguez, Im not sure if Dressler is back. Ill give you the Oline and Dline. DB sask. Kicker, Hamilton. I believe Setta is one of the best in the game.

So by going with the current lineup. I would say we match up well. Which leads me to one conclusion. Our coaching isn`t good.

Saskatchewan has an injury riddled team, yet they seem to be perservering and winning.

Im not saying anything about changing our players. Ive said all along, we have to keep them and develop them.

Yes, we do have inexperience but you can only use that as excuse for so long. With the talent we have on this team. We shouldn`t be 1-5.

If you look at the games this year. Our game preparation, plans and adjustment our lousy. So, I say get rid of this coaching staff ( except for D-mac) and bring in some people with some drive and determination.

Heck. We virtually swapped rosters with them and they’re still smokin’ us in the standings. We should ahve just swapped coaches with them and saved alot of trouble…

Heck. We virtually swapped rosters with them and they're still smokin' us in the standings. We should ahve just swapped coaches with them and saved alot of trouble...
That might be the understatement of the year! :)

actually when you think about it we sort of do match up well.

QB-Probably us (though that arguement could go either way)
RB-Us (because we have better depth)
WR-Us (the riders have no flick,fantuz or dominguez)
OL-Sask.
DL-Sask.
LB-Us.
DB-Sask.
K-Even

So when you take away the kicker and QB (because those positions are basically tied)

we have the advantage at RB,WR and LB (so 3 positions)

The riders have the Adv. at OL,DL and DB (3 postions)

so yea i’d say we match up pretty evenly.

8) Judging by what Scott Mitchell said on the Fan yesterday scotty_dogg, I think you are right.
Mitchell would not answer the question regarding if management is happy with our personel on the field.  He said that Obie would be the guy to better answer that question.  Then he said that Obie is down scouting NFL camps for players !!  So that answers that question right there !!!

He also stated that Charlie is a good coach and experienced football man.  Reading between the lines, it appears that management now feels that they didn't supply Charlie with enough good quality players to turn this programme around!!

At this point I think that they are going to try and give Charlie 4 or 5 top quality players in the areas that need them, and see how Charlie fares then !!

If nothing changes then, I am sure management will then at least know they did everything they could to help Charlie save his own job !!

What if with some new players in the key positions that are needed, this whole team turns around and puts 4 or 5 wins together down the stretch run ???   Anything is possible !!!!!

We sure are not going to win too many games with out new and better players in those key positions anyway, so what is there to lose ????             <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->

Charlie didnt want new players remember? no revolving door and keep the guys you break camp with? continuity.... He must blame himself then cus he gave the talent his own vote of confidence and wanted to stay with it all year.

ROFLMAO

The US college system puts out 1500 to 2500 players a YEAR, what’s next it was Popp and Desjardins in the grassy knowles?

As far as firing Taafe well after preventing him from leaving. You can bet they would be on the hook for the remainder of his contract.

Then he said that Obie is down scouting NFL camps for players !! So that answers that question right there !!!
Doesn't that simply mean Obie is doing his job. Wouldn't you expect every team to be looking to see who's available? Not just the 1 - 5 teams or the 4 - 20 teams.

And I hope he finds some real gems, because it will take extra talent to cover for Mr Taaffe. (in my humble opinion)

Are you suggesting that every one of those players not already under contract to a CFL or NFL club is good enough to make an impact in the CFL?

What percentage of unsigned players would make an impact in the CFL comparable to Cameron Wake? 100%? 50%? 20%? 10%? Less?

Did you ever watch any XFL games? The talent level looked pretty inconsistent from what I saw. There are lots of “pretty good” football players floating around, but “great” football players are much more scarce.

If the neg lists are as worthless as you imply, why do clubs continue to maintain them?

And my post wasn’t intended as an attack on Desjardins. A more lucid criticism of my original post might be to suggest that it was unfair to mention Desjardin in association with the Ticats neg list due to the short time he spent at the reigns of the Ticats. Our scouting pipeline was in rough shape for a long time before Desjardins arrived.

My point was that one reason why Obie didn’t accomplish recruiting miracles this off-season was because, to quote my original post “the ones Obie may have recently been coveting the most” were on BC’s neg list rather than Hamilton’s.

Sure there is turnover year to year as young players get discovered and NFL vets get released, but the neg lists still matter.

Laugh if you must. I think my point is valid.

8) Oh brother, did you not read my last posting on the previous page Beetlejuice ???
 You say now that it's Charlies fault that management did not supply him with good enough players !!  I'm sure he would have been thrilled if he could have stuck with the players that they broke camp with.

So you are saying that the players that have been released already in the last 2-3 weeks were good enough players to win with in this league ???    It was obvious they were not good enough.  

Charlie certainly did not give these guys his own vote of confidence.  

A coach can only work with the players that were given to him.  Remember when these players were released, it was Charlie that said to ask Obie about that when he was questioned by Ken Peters about those same players being cut !!!

Obie is no fool, and he realizes that many of the players that were given to Charlie in training camp  could just not cut it.  

Obie is now trying to rectify that situation !!!

I said that charlie didnt want the revolving door of talent and said so himself. Thats what he said. So if charlie wanted the players to stay the same all year, with no revolving door that must mean he thought they were good enough. Obie doesnt think they are good enough and neither do I. Dont blame me for what a coach says, he said it. so if a coach says the talent is there and the team still loses it can only be coaching. Its clearly talent and coaching but charlie painted himself into a corner when he said that.

He might have implied that he wanted continuity so that players would have time to get better as a unit.

So you are saying that the players that have been released already in the last 2-3 weeks were good enough players to win with in this league ??? It was obvious they were not good enough.
Of course they arent good enough, everyone could see that......ummmmm, except charlie who wanted to play out the year with them in the hope they might learn football, zzzzzz

If Charlie had the impression the players he brought out of camp were good enough to win there is obvious a problem with evaluating player talent.

The O Line - Defensive Ends - linebackers. This team is in big doo doo unless Obie pulls a several rabbits out of his hat.

It’s not like Charlie has time to prepare a speech
every time a microphone is stuck in his face.

IMO, beetlejuice, it is obvious
Charlie meant no more than this.

Is your ‘revolving door’ point
really worth harping on anyways?

P.S.

[to armchair as well]

There is no way on god’s green earth

that anybody can predetermine 100%
who will succeed and who won’t.

Circumstances change…some players
step up, others players disappoint.