obie as General Manager AND coach?

He was a great coach in Toronto when I was a kid.

Is it possible he could take on both jobs in Hamilton?

I don't think so ..
I think He Just be the GM

I hope He Keeps Charlie as Head Coach

Yah, if Obie coached us, we could hire Marv Levy
as G.M. to keep the age differences in balance. :oops: :smiley:

who cares about age, as long as the team has sound fundamentals in Canadian rules and correct game management-And Obie's allays has dangerous special teams S.T. package including revers plays-

This sounds a lot like last years discussions about Rod Rust…lets hope this story has a happier ending!

Ideally, you would love to find someone who can do both roles. Buono's success has been -- as it is with all successful HC/GM in sports -- is that he is surrounded by talented people who he effectively delegates responsibility to so that neither of his roles is adversely affected. Understand that a GM/coach has to be able to coach first and foremost or the jig is up. :slight_smile:

Much more often than not, a splitting of the roles between two people is the m.o. Given all the dysfunction in the Hamilton football operation at the moment, I want two heads on the same page instead of a swamped one.

I believe Obie could handle both roles with sufficient delegation. However, I'm not sold on the depth chart of the front office, if you know what I mean. There isn't an Obie or Bob Ackles that a Buono can lean on in the Cat context. Simply put, that infrastructure isn't in place as yet.

We need Smith, McCarthy, Rambo et al. unleashed. A GM with the wisdom to get a scouting apparatus in the right direction WITH direction. Take a look at the Cat short list and discuss. LOL

More and more, it appears it's Obie's job to lose. Unless we get curveballed, that's my read. My gut is he would want to hire his guy as head coach and get cracking on fixing the whole football operations side full bore.

Oski Wee Wee,

I do considering the amount of hours a head coach has to put in. Do you really want a head coach who has to be in bed by 8pm? most NFL hc's go to bed at 4am.

Oskie's gut feeling is the same as mine.

Obie wants to hire his own guy as head coach.

Dave Ritchie could be that man.

He has stated publicly that he wants
to retire and go home to Pennsylvania

or take last crack at a Head Coaching job.

If Obie gave him, at 69 years of age
a last crack at being a Head Coach

and got him to accept Charlie Taaffe
as Associate Head Coach and O.C.

I would like that very much.

A new D.C. could be brought in
or Dave could do that himself.

Sorry Ron I don't Want David Richie at as our Head Man.
He Single Handedly Killed Bombers
when he was head coach.
So Remember how bad they Where?
I do .

He is a good DC
If he want to come Hamilton as DC Fine..
But as Head Coach.
No Thank you

Charlie Should get 1 more season.

I don't want Ritchie either, but your arguement makes no sense considering you said you hope Taaffe is back. Remember how bad the Ti-cats were in 2007? I do.

ron wrote: "Dave Ritchie could be that man.
He has stated publicly that he wants
to retire and go home to Pennsylvania
or take last crack at a Head Coaching job.
If Obie gave him, at 69 years of age
a last crack at being a Head Coach
and got him to accept Charlie Taaffe
as Associate Head Coach and O.C.
I would like that very much.
A new D.C. could be brought in
or Dave could do that himself."

Ron: With all due respect...am I missing a joke here? Surely you can't be serious with this. A 69 year old head Coach also handling the defence? His last crack before retirement? What is this...a charity hire? Charlie taking a demotion? I don't think so.
Obie? OK. But the rest of it would leave us as the league's laughing stock (again). We would be better off keeping what we had this past season!
Think higher. Taman. Obie. Greg Marshall (the other) Hall..... for starters. If we don't do everything possible to get the highest quality people to build for the future, Scott Mitchell may as well leave now. This is his only chance.

Regardless of who becomes the HC (and Obie wearing both hats may be problematic), as GM it seems imperative to put his stamp on the team quickly and decisively, and set the tone for the season. Mediocrity simply can't be tolerated anymore.

Bob O' Billovich and Dave Ritchie
are relatively the same age, MrCats62.

if Obie decides to hire Dave,
that's what he is going to.

One reason I suggested sharing
Head Coaching duties was it is
a way to lighten his workload.

P.S.

Steve Burrato, candidate for Head Coach
of the Montreal Alouettes is 64.

I have not forgotten last year
But look at the Staff they had Very Little CFL Experience
I like Ed O'Neil as Person but he made a lot Questionable Moves.

Hell I like all the coaches but the lack of CFL Experience
Was Our are undoing .

With with a Vet team of Coaches Charlie could do well.
I willing to give him that chance.