Nye: Key matchups in the Western Semi-Final

The Roughriders and Stampeders in the Western Semi-Final is not a battle of strangers. They’ve played three times already in the back half of the season and every game went down to the wire.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2021/11/25/nye-key-matchups-western-semi-final/

The only way the Stamps lose is if they beat themselves

Or Little Bo Peep loses his sheep.

2 Likes

Where's G&W been? :thinking:

Come on man, this is where you shine!

1 Like

One good hit and your QB will be seeing sheep! Why is Collaros trying to look like Rambo??

Eww, to much information

3 Likes

I don't see the Riders winning their first home playoff game in New Mosaic this weekend, but then again if they stop the Stamp run game they have a great chance. BM just doesn't have the game he used too, and D Dick will be too stubborn to hand it over to Maier.

Very good analysis. IMO only thing missing is the matchup between the Stamps #2 passing game & the Rider backfield, 2nd worst in passing yds & big plays passing allowed in the CFL. BLM threw progressively for more yds in the games, passing for over 600 yds in the last 2, 7 of which went for 29 yds or more. The Stamp receiving corps & running game, largely due to their OL, is far superior to the Riders. Outside of Williams, the others had okay numbers the last 6 games. Has Williams emerged or do his 208 yds of his 269 total vs the Elks overstate the case a bit? Duke Williams vs everyone indeed. The Stamp DB's with Roberson back aren't the Elks.

Williams will be the Stamps focus on "D", but it won't matter if BM puts up numbers like he did in his last start. 7 /11 for 39 yards and didn't cross the "C". Stamps need to run the ball as BM just doesn't have it anymore. Likely still the shoulder affecting some of this, but the mind isn't in the same spot as it was years back. Also, his last playoff appearance was a dud.... Seems like he's had issues all season trying to recover from that performance.

Cause he's been picking apart DB's like Rambo does sheriffs, Vietnamese, and Russians. :cowboy_hat_face:

Well, Collaros was 7/10. Outside of 1 completion of 39 yds he had 34 total yds. If Collaros puts up numbers like that, it won't matter in the Western Final, Mack. Neither QB played in the 2nd half. Mitchell threw for more yds each time he met the Riders - 600+ yds the final 2 matches. And the Stamps finished 6-1. I don't think the numbers for Collaros or Mitchell in that game are any reflection of how they'll play. T Hodge, a Bomber guy, pointed out on TSN radio today that the Bombers, with most of their starters on the field, gave up 10 points in the final minutes to lose last week. Is that an indication of their play to come in the Final? I don't think so. By the time Zach plays a game next, he'll have had 25 minutes of actual game time in 4 weeks where the opposing QB will have been playing meaningful minutes for the past 4 weeks, Mack. I'd be more concerned about that myself.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Well, Collaros was 7/10. Outside of 1 completion of 39 yds he had 34 total yds. If Collaros puts up numbers like that, it won't matter in the Western Final, Mack. Neither QB played in the 2nd half. Mitchell threw for more yds each time he met the Riders - 600+ yds the final 2 matches. And the Stamps finished 6-1. I don't think the numbers for Collaros or Mitchell in that game are any reflection of how they'll play. T Hodge, a Bomber guy, pointed out on TSN radio today that the Bombers, with most of their starters on the field, gave up 10 points in the final minutes to lose last week. Is that an indication of their play to come in the Final? I don't think so. By the time Zach plays a game next, he'll have had 25 minutes of actual game time in 4 weeks where the opposing QB will have been playing meaningful minutes for the past 4 weeks, Mack. I'd be more concerned about that myself.

What did I do last night? I’m seeing double.

Not sure why you want to jump the gun and talk Stamp/Bomber stats, as I believe there is still a game to play in Sask. But since you mentioned the Bombers and BM stats in past games against the Riders, in his past 2 starts against the Bombers BM is 19/39, 155yd, 1 TD, 3 picks. I said in other posts this Sunday's game is just the battle of which team loses by 30+ next week.

1 Like

Sure, give us 30 points, Mack. You'll have a roomful of takers. The mighty Bombers managed to beat only 1 team by 30+ & there's a reason they're not around.

But they did beat several by 20+.

The 30 points are sitting in Winnipeg waiting for your team to arrive this weekend. I'll give them to you if they show up.