The Hamilton Spectator

click here

I totally agree with Steve.

I am waiting for the ‘fire da bum crowd’
to deny even one thing Steve said here

they have ridiculed myself and others
for making many of the same points.

For instance:

[i]'If the Tiger-Cats were to change coaches now[/i], there would be no chance of making the playoffs.

and [i]the club wouldn’t even

be getting a head start on next year [/i]

because the real candidates for a head coaching job

are already employed elsewhere.'

The italicized words above are absolutely valid and yet

the ‘fire da bum’ crowd have often allowed their emotions
to block their basic logic and deny them forcefully

because they would feel good to see someone punished.

I assume they couldn’t help themselves at the time,
so if they don’t rant about what Steve said now,

maybe I should find it in my heart to forgive them. :expressionless:

Well Ron I disagree. I don't think Taaffe's absence would be sorely missed. In my opinion, Taaffe is not an inspirational coach. He appears to demand nothing from his players on or off the field. His influence on the team is minimal. I think he's lost the player's respect especially after that bonehead move last week on the 3rd and 3-6-inch. The philosophy of the club appears to be play, not to lose, rather than play to win. That's being made quite clearly by the lack of imagination on the offensive play calling. For a coach whose background is supposed to be on the offensive side of the game, he is either allowing Bellefool to make all the decisions or has no clue how to maximize this offence -- how to deal with a blitz,how to maximize players like Lumsden.
I don't think they will make the playoffs anyway so it's likely a moot point. I think replacing him with an inspirational coach (even if he is nothing more than a figurehead for this year, will make a difference and will do no harm to a team that is spiralling down. Can I remind everyone that we kicked Toronto's butts the first two games and lost to them last week with Casey, jesse and Tony Miles. You can say we were in the game all the way, but, based on previous encounters with the Argos this season we should have kicked their butts.

TCFan...I must bow down to your knowledge of the football team. Its obvious you spend a lot of time practicing with them and in the dressing room. Afterall, how can you say half of the things you do without doing that?

And can I remind you that yes we did beat Toronto handily in the first two games, but anything can happen in the CFL. NO game is a foregone conclusion.

One further thing...who would take a job as an inspirational coach for nine games? Not many I'd bet. The fact is, the BEST talent for coaching will not be available until after the season is over.

No need to bow down lol
Admittedly I'm basing my comments on what I see. Taaffe shows no emotions on or off the field and the team seems to reflect this same approach. Ever wonder why Pinball seems to get the most out of his players. His enthusiasm is contagious. :smiley:

That’s really irrellevant. Not everyone shows emotion. Every coach has their own style and personality.

That really is a terrific article, showing once again, Steve Mitlon’s excellence as a writer. Without taking a postion, he presents both sides of the argument, quotes people like Obie and provides much needed balance and context so that the reader can make up his own mind.

Fair enough. However I agree with Cap’n on this. Not everyone shows emotion…or shows it in different ways. Marshall showed emotion, and some say he lost the teams respect for how he did it.

So may I ask what you’ve seen that makes you say the team has lost respect for him (especially after the non gamble)? I havent seen one thing like that. Casey loooking disappointed or shocked isnt enough…of course he’s going to look like that…

Danny Mac. is Hamilton's pinball!
I know he has little experience at
coaching but so did piball.
Get rid of Taaffe put Danny as head,
until the end of the year, then look
for a new head coach and keep Danny
as an assistant.

Does Danny want it? Thats the million dollar question. He stated before he wasnt really interested in coaching. Now that he's doing that...he might not feel ready to be head coach yet.

You can't ignore his thoughts on whether he wants to be.. Its fine and dandy to say 'make Dmac Head Coach, or OC"...but does he want it?

I agree 100 per cent. I was just about to post that DMac would be my choice no pressure to keep the top job next season.
And as far as losing respect or maybe a better word would be “confidence” in the coaching staff. It’s hard to put a finger on that, but I think this team is way underperforming. To bring up Pinball again, he inspires his players to overperform. The exact opposite appears to be happening here. Sorry, I like Taaffe and I think his laid back style is perfect for a winning team to keep them on an even keel, but not for this team which needs inspiration and a fire-in-the-gut approach to winning games, not just being competitive.

Steve Milton's analysis is logical and balanced, as is usual for him. I share his viewpoint.

The fact that Charlie Taaffe has the continuing respect of his players (my evidence for this is not based on any inside knowledge, just on the fact that they still play hard and don't give up, even with a poor record) speaks to me in favour of continuity. Our team is better than last year, and will continue to improve with time together and with a few additions from NFL cuts.

The universe is unfolding as it should.

Oh I think he's sitting back sizing up the situation. Danny is going to say the right things at the right time and until he is asked he's not going to rock the boat. but if he was asked, and under the right circumstances, i think he would jump at the opportunity.
Just my opinion

Here is how you do damage control when you fail your commitments.

You call a "pal" in the press you buy him lunch and you plea for a certain article allowing to express the management's point of view.

Then you come on the forum and "anonymously" play yourself as another joe andshoot down every fans opinion that is negative by claiming the poster knows nothing because he's not "part" of the team.

Forget emotions and all that. The record speaks for itself as well as the very public display that the coach hasn't even bothered himself to invest in knowing the rule book. Something there is no possible excuse for. How anyone can defend this staff his beyond me.

Case in point Last season Edmonton lost Lefsrud and Ray, let go ontford,Mobley,Hervey and most of their secondary. They rebuilt and are back in the game. Hamilton has be beyond Mediocre for close to a decade.

HAS OBIE ASKED HIM YET!!!

Did anyone sort of stop at this paragraph near the end of Milton's fine article:
“But there are many little things which have cost Hamilton games and under the new Tiger-Cat regime where allegedly players play, coaches coach, managers manage and presidents preside, those little things are part of the coaching realm, no matter who actually made the real mistake. Taaffe knows this and wouldn't want it any other way?.
That word 'allegedly' kind of stood out for me.
I'm wondering what's actually going on with the organization and who's interfering with what.
During the last few days JoJo Walker's brother has been making a number of cryptic postings in this forum that he says he can't elaborate on, but to read between the lines. I believe he said, too, that Taafe didn't make the decision to sit JoJo for Labour day, that it was Obie.
I also thought Taafe looked extremely uncomfortable in the pre-game press conference video when the topic of cutting Cavka came up.
Is front office (Mitchell, Obie) interfering with the day-to-day coaching decisions?
I don't know, that paragraph with the word 'allegedly' just struck me as odd.

Ugh....

The answer is not blow up the team, or fire Charlie Taafe. Yes we are not a good football team, but that is going to take time to fix, and we are going to need at least some consistency in the organization to fix it.

We stick with Charlie for at least the rest of the year, and if it were up to me next year too.

Firing coaches every 2 years is just senseless. A good football team takes at least 3 years to build, with the same guy at the helm. Yes the Cats have been waiting about 5-6 years now, but that's with a million coaching, personel and management changes.

Patience is alot to ask for, but firing the coach in my humble opinion is not the answer to a better football team.

I didnt claim the poster knew nothing. BUT, that poster was making comments about things he wouldnt know about if he wasnt part of the team. He tried to pass opinion off as fact and I called him on it. Big Difference.

And let me clear, I am NOT defending the coaching staff. IN fact, I want them gone. But I dont see any point until the end of the season. NOTHING will be accomplished by a change now.

And your Edmonton comment speaks more to the GMs of the respective teams than it does to the coaching. They brought in better replacements than we did.

A QB can make a coach look like a genius or a bum. The way Ricky Ray is playing now makes Macioca look like the second coming of the Don. :lol:

If the right opportunity presented itself to replace Charlie with someone who could fit in and do the job better...IT WILL BE DONE!

Regardless of what anyone says, Bob Young, the guy who put his money on the line...WANTS TO BRING HOME A WINNER!

The same holds true for Scott Mitchell and Bob O'Billovich!

We have "right now" the best group at the "very top" to achieve that goal...the truth of the matter is that there was few to chooze from back in January (coaches)and there is even fewer to choose from now.

O'Bie will be bringing in some NFL cuts and keep looking for the best for this team.

I'm not pleased with some of the coaching decisions...the results speak for themselves ...it's easy for us to say "what if"...but reality dictates that we have to keep coming to the games and supporting the team to build a winner.

I've never lost sight of the fact that we had the chance of "NO TEAM" before we got Bob Young!

:wink:

Steve Milton has his opinion like everyone else, but that does not make him right. Taafes blunders are beyond what you expect from a professional coach and he needs to be replaced. Putting Obie or D Mac and leaving the rest of the staff in place would cause very little disruption to the team and you would hope you gain more leadership during the game. D Mac was a outstanding QB who that knows the game, your not asking him to re invent the wheel just make good decisions during the game. As Mitchell points out we are 0-4 in games we could have won and that's not a great endorsement of Taafes coaching.

Steve Milton has his opinion like everyone else, but that does not make him right. Taafes blunders are beyond what you expect from a professional coach and he needs to be replaced. Putting Obie or D Mac and leaving the rest of the staff in place would cause very little disruption to the team and you would hope you gain more leadership during the game. D Mac was a outstanding QB who that knows the game, your not asking him to re invent the wheel just make good decisions during the game. As Mitchell points out we are 0-4 in games we could have won and that's not a great endorsement of Taafes coaching.