Now Coach?!?

And, so, eventually, the Alouettes' quarterback arose to face the music. He didn't hesitate to paint a vivid and brutally honest portrait. "To throw three picks in a huge game is disgusting and it hurts bad," professional football's career passing leader said. "When it comes to turnovers, it's on me. Frig, this came back to bite us in the butt, and it sucks." On a blustery Saturday afternoon at Canad Inns Stadium, it was the play of Calvillo, quite frankly, that sucked.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/C ... story.html

I have to apologize for throwing AC's words back in his face. Although there is something suspiciously passive/aggressive about such repeated contrition. Maybe it's just a reaction to how every story following one of these Calvillo under-performances starts out with how genuinely sorry AC is and how he puts all the blame on himself.
"Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see"
And even less of what you read.

As to the title:
We can all bring to mind some sports movie or show where a young hopeful sits on the bench, ants in his pants,
"Now coach. Can you put me in now?"
I'm sure Adrian McPherson has been biting that one back for 3 seasons now.

The question needs to be asked
I suppose it's only fitting that I be the one to ask it:
If Calvillo has another 1st half like last week
Should we pull him in favour of Adrian McPherson?
And if so....when?
After the 1st quarter?
The half?
Or after it's too late to reasonably expect any kind of a comeback?

I personally doubt Trestman has the will, the flexibility or the courage to do it.
But would be thrilled if he proved me wrong
Be that as it may...if we want to win 1st in the East we certainly can't afford a repeat performance of last week at the quarterback position.

Calvillo's weakness last week was his vulnerability to pressure
With 6 sacks and 3 interceptions, not to mention terrible red-zone production (1 TD 6 FG)...that can hardly be denied.
McPherson is a prime candidate for turning the opposition's pressure into an offensive weapon

So there you are
Should we pull AC if he falters on Sunday against the Stamps?
Yay or Nay?

I appreciate the hard work but as a fan I don’t feel like getting into this at this point in the season.

Could not agree with you more.

Agreed
It would be much better to decide this essential question
After the season is over
And it's too late

Duh

And may I add that it's that kind of unbelievably retarded attitude
That makes this kind of discussion absolutely impossible
And will eventually doom this team
It's so damned frustrating
I could scream

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

There I feel much better now

Your like a comedian with good material but lousy timing and delivery :lol:

Wow
Tell that to Hufnagel and Drew Tate
"Don't even suggest pulling Burris at this time of the year"

The timing couldn't be more relevant
Coming off a pathetic Calvillo performance
With the whole season hanging in the balance

What a farce
And a bit two faced
Considering that even you lamented the lack of consideration
Given to the idea of bringing in McPherson last game

Different scenario. Burris had five bad games in a row and it appears as Huffnagel's move is definitive. I don't think AC deserves that type of decision and you know its too late now anyway but I am not against Trestman developing and investing practice time in a package for Adrian and I am 100 percent behind him sharing the duties next season and helping Adrian take over the position.

I certainly won't apologize for throwing these words back:

He's playing scared, same all 3 games against Winnipeg. He should have been pulled at the half
AC if your scared to get hurt... Get out with some dignity...
not happy with Calvillo. You can't lead your team when your playing scared. First time I am actually angry after a game. AC should have been pulled at the half. I can take a lot but a Pus... Can't deal with that. And Senior you forgot the 3 interceptions... Als Haloween party coming up, hope Trestman and Calvillo show up as drag queens. Puss.. !
Your dreaming, Popp will be pushin AC's wheelchair onto the field. I don't care what the stats say when your playing scared its time to retire.
I know Montreal fans and they will be lucky to get 35k at the stadium after this. I have a nasty feeling that the team is going to fold after this freakshow.
Calvillo had happy feet the whole game Oline can't block for QB when they have no idea where he's standing. Our QB puss... out and his coach didn't have the gonads to pull him at the half.
Funny thing is he won't use two QB's but he thinks it makes sense to have two OC. Wow...talk about contradiction.
In case you're wondering Ya...I'm accusing you of hypocricy.

No one is suggesting that
If you'd take the trouble of reading the thread before trashing it
You'd realize that it's simply about pulling AC if he has another bad game
Something you spent all last game complaining we didn't do

For the record, I've never suggested that Calvillo is afraid
Nor do I believe it for a second
Merely that AC has trouble, and hasn't the skills to cope with
Massive pressure like he faced last week,

I would have pulled AC at the half no question but I would not have taken his job away from him. I think it was a huge mistake by Trestman but I read his book and he will NEVER do that, he does not believe in it and it is the flip side of a coach who believes in his process and philosophical makeup, we have to take the good with the bad... in this case I don't agree with him, in the CFL having two QB's with diametrical opposite skill sets is a HUGE advantage and he has not grasp that. He still can't grasp the 3 minute clock...

I think he was affraid. In fact I’m certain of it and that is why he felt so guilty after the game. I understand why he was, post traumatic stress is very real and I think Trestman would have done him a favor pulling him and talking about things this week instead of letting him “workout his fears” on the field at the expense of the team and possibly the season.

He’s faced pressure many times before and we never seen him look like Burris (speaking of Burris).

OK
I accept your apology
You just didn't read the question
Maybe you should change your vote
Since you obviously think AC should be pulled when he's having a really bad game.

I wouldn't suggest AC should get the Hufnagel treatment
He may have had some inconsistent starts
But not enough to merit being pulled permanently
Hell...maybe being benched at halftime would light a fire under the guy

It's party my fault
The poll should have read:

"If Calvillo has another bad 1st half against Calgary...should he get the hook?"

Something like that

Apologies

There's also some validity to blaming the coaching staff
What happened last week wasn't exactly a surprise
By Calvillo's own admission they knew Winnipeg had an amazing pass rush...going in

The game plan simply didn't include any measures to deal with the rush
And while Calvillo's immobility made him a liability last week
Trestmanovitch knew this from the start
And seemingly didn't plan for it.

And if...in assessing your strategy under these conditions
You realize there's no guaranteed way to deal with the rush
Part of your strategy has to include making your backup ready to come in
When he's so obviously needed.

One can point to AC's lack of "escapability" but...
In a game where that is a known factor
Every option has to be on the table
If you want to have the best chance of winning

There's also some validity to blaming the coaching staff
Believe that was point was made out the day of the loss.
And if...in assessing your strategy under these conditions You realize there's no guaranteed way to deal with the rush Part of your strategy has to include making your backup ready to come in When he's so obviously needed.
Or utilizing your RB who happens to be the league leading rusher.

I believe the day of the loss the point about the coaching staff was made vis a vis the play-calling
Not about how well prepared the team was in dealing with the pass rush

Still I have to agree wholeheartedly
Ditto for more running plays

Sorry HFXTC, but senior is ahead 1-0 with this post! :expressionless:

I would have pulled AC at the half no question but I would not have taken his job away from him. I think it was a huge mistake by Trestman but I read his book and he will NEVER do that, he does not believe in it and it is the flip side of a coach who believes in his process and philosophical makeup, we have to take the good with the bad... in this case I don't agree with him, in the CFL having two QB's with diametrical opposite skill sets is a HUGE advantage and he has not grasp that. He still can't grasp the 3 minute clock...
[/quote]
OK
I accept your apology
You just didn't read the question
Maybe you should change your vote
Since you obviously think AC should be pulled when he's having a really bad game.

I wouldn't suggest AC should get the Hufnagel treatment
He may have had some inconsistent starts
But not enough to merit being pulled permanently
Hell...maybe being benched at halftime would light a fire under the guy
[/quote]
Senior, where exactly did he "apologise"?

He's not ahead anything. He's just lucky I don't bother digging up his material on Avon and Owens alone I could make him look like the Buffoon of Doom.

I am consistent that If it was my decision I would have pulled him. I would have a play action package for Adrian HOWEVER I understand Trestman's reasoning and the reasons why he does not go that route and I've expressed them for Senior before (Limited practice time, trust issues...) He's the coach with 25 years of coaching excellence under a handful of hall of fame guys. Jimmy Johnson, Walsh and many others and his arguments are valid. I am consistent saying he played scared but I respect everything he's done for the Als Ind the tremendous joy and pride he's given my family the last decade. Bottom line a coach has to make thousands of decision over a season and they will not always pay off and sometimes there is no right decisions but you have to choose one you can live with.

Right now I'm going back to working my Serratus and deltoids but maybe tomorrow I'll pot up a thread with a few passages from Coach's book that will explain a few things. But I remember a phrase in Marc's book: A coach has to be true to his beliefs or the players will immediately spot this and lose confidance in you as a leader. Marc was true to his beliefs on the weekend and there is no way to know if Adrian would have done any better.

You have to respect back-pedaling at this rate
It could be an Olympic event

Being true to your beliefs is all well and good
But the fastest way to lose the confidence of your players
Is to lose

For the sake of consistency
Maybe you can quote the passage from his book
Where he expresses the desire to spend Halloween in drag with his beloved quarterback
And whether that occurs before or after AC is in a wheelchair
The team folds
Or AC has a nervous breakdown from intense and uncontrollable fear

And he calls me a "Buffoon of Doom"

:wink: