Notice to CFL, please do not follow NFL's ideas

If they just left matters unchanged we would be fine.

If they want to change matters meaningfully, they could move up the kickoff and make it a touchback at the 30-yard line instead of the 20-yard line.

That would no question do far more than moving things to merely the 25-yard line as far as awarding kickoff accuracy to a higher degree.

However as this rule change is being pushed under the guise of improving player safety, doing just that would encourage even more returnable kicks as is clearly not the true goal of the NFL in proposing this change. :thdn:

Being a rugby player mostly in my past with my body undecided on my future, yes if you want to go really old school sure the NFL would adopt the kickoffs from say midfield like you say. I have mastered the art of drop kicking the kickoff really high for a free-for-all on any kickoff with both a rugby ball and an NFL football mind you, and so long as the ball goes 10 yards in American football (10 metres in rugby now), then every kickoff would be fair game for both teams! :smiley: I'd be all for that change with a pro contract for the likes of me mind you, but of course I am just dreaming crazy again. :stuck_out_tongue:

For information for you fellow CFL fans, I am not sure when in the history of the Canadian game that drop kicks on kickoffs were outlawed apparently, but American football is a throwback to the rugby union rules in that any kickoff can be fair caught.

That is exactly why in contrast to the Canadian rules, you will see any onside kick attempt in American football hit the ground first AND go 10 yards before it can be recovered so as to eliminate the possibility of a fair catch being called by the receiving team.

Yes Canada, as Earl cited with the explanation below, thankfully you brought us the gridiron game or we'd be playing something akin to soccer/football, but somehow some of the old rugby rules stick in our pro game more than in yours! :stuck_out_tongue:

well, I just saw a video on an American website..

and they are indeed wanting to increase the number of touchbacks.. :roll:

they are not moving the touchback line to the 25 either, keeping it at the 20 and they're not banning the two man wedge either.

talk about stupid.

[quote="cflisthebest"talk about stupid.
[/quote]
The No Fun League strikes again. Now they are asking their fans to watch every kickoff go for a touchback. The price of parking your car at an NFL stadium $30. A hot dog and beer? $10 Your nosebleed seat in the upper deck? $100. Having to watch kickoffs in the NFL? A facepalm as you realized you coulda saved a lot of money and watched it on TV and used kickoff times for a kitchen or bathroom break.

:thup:

Jerry Jones approves so long as there will be 22 games.

Check your rules before posting Paolo: "Drop kick, Kicking a ball after bouncing it on the ground. Although rarely used today, it has the same status in scoring as a place kick. This play is part of the game's rugby heritage, and was largely made obsolete when the ball with pointed ends was adopted. Unlike the American game, Canadian rules allow a drop kick to be attempted at any time by any player, but the move is very rare."

Perhaps re-read my post Geo. Slowly too.

Other commenters differ on the matter Geo for CFL football for sake of the drop kick on KICKOFFS as I was addressing specifically.

Not only is such a kick extremely rare all the same, it is not allowed in the CFL on kickoffs as I read the rules and have read here from others. Technically though not used, a drop kick on the kickoff is allowed in the NFL and in all of American football. That's why I made the point.

Otherwise and not mentioned, as you brought up, from scrimmage a drop kick serves the same function as a potential scoring play just as a place kick in both leagues.

However, in the NFL a drop kick from scrimmage is deemed a field goal attempt. A miss means possession goes to the other team at the spot of the kick just as with a place kick.

In the CFL a drop kick anywhere but on a kickoff is treated like any other kick down field if it misses, and also in the CFL it can be attempted past the line of scrimmage as it cannot in the NFL any more (and has not been attempted anyway since perhaps at least the 1930s in that regard).

It'll be a good long awhile before we see any sort of kick in either league all the same.

I really DON'T like condescending people! So since I HAVE read section 36 Rule #5-Kicking: Of the CFL rule book, please tell me where it states that a drop kick on a kick off is illegal?

BTW: Drop kicks as a kick off in the nfl are ONLY allowed after a safety. So they are never used to start a game...or the second half...of after a TD. So maybe YOU need to read more slowly smart a$$

From the NFL rule book: "On a safety kick, the team scored upon puts ball in play by a punt, dropkick, or placekick without tee. No score can be made on a free kick following a safety, even if a series of penalties places team in position. (A field goal can be scored only on a play from scrimmage or a free kick after a fair catch.)
A kickoff may not score a field goal."

That's a SAFETY! Not a kickoff after a major. And the same rule applies in Canada!

you can't score a field goal on a kick off ever.. doesn't matter what the situation is.

Hey do you have a copy of the NFL rulebook or is that from the Cole's Notes from NFL.com?

I've been scouring the Internet for a copy of the NFL rulebook.

I have a PDF copy of a 2006 NFL Rule Book on my PC that I’ll just have to dig out on this matter of drop kicks on kickoffs, as I am on a Mac now.

And I know also that there has been no such rule change with regard to drop kicks on kickoffs, so that rule book ought to answer the question.

In the 2010 CFL Rule Book it clearly states Under Rule 5, Section 1, Article 3 and Section 2, Article 1 (pp. 37-38) that a kickoff must be a place kick for which also the use of a regulation tee is allowed.

The bottom line is you can’t have a drop kick for kickoff in the CFL, and I’ll clarify the issue further for the NFL later.

This was never argued by anyone CFL, but hey all the back and forth is confusing.

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/article/esks-sign-dynamic-return-man-james]http://www.cfl.ca/article/esks-sign-dyn ... -man-james[/url]

Not only that, but I think now the CFL teams will have their pick of an even better pool of kick return talent!

And now it appears too that Chad Owens indeed made the best decision. :slight_smile:

Go to the nfl's site.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/digestofrules

Above is the Digest of Rules on the NFL site, and if you read closely as have I for years, it is NOT the official Rule Book.

That's why when I downloaded the PDF for the NFL Official Rule Book of 2006 it was a keeper, for otherwise unlike for the CFL, for the NFL you have to buy the massive rule book.

For a definitive explanation on the matter for sake of what types of kicks are allowed on kickoffs, we must again go to the actual rule book.

For example as explained below note that technically by rule that a kicking team can recover an onside kick without the ball touching the ground first, but do not forget, as most fans do not know, that the receiving team can just call a fair catch on the kickoff of whatever distance in order to negate any such kickoff, onside or otherwise, that does not touch the ground.

That's exactly why the onside kicks you see in American football differ than from Canadian football.

I'll get to the actual rule book otherwise next weekend if not this weekend, but if someone else has a copy of the actual NFL Rule Book they would beat me too it.

Although you would think that the passing game is preeminent in the CFL, teams with a strong ground game open up options for the receiving core. Toronto's Cory Boyd averaged 6 yards/carry last season! With a rushing average like that, the Argos were able to play ball-control football (yes, boring) and hang in for a number of close contests last year. :cowboy:

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/definitions

See under "Free Kick," for which the definition is corroborated also in the actual rule book of which I still owe Joe a copy of my PDF copy from 2006.

Though a drop kick does not take place on kickoffs and has not perhaps for at least 80 years and unlike the CFL in a drop kick on a kickoff is not allowed, a drop kick indeed is allowed on any free kick including a kickoff in American football.

In the NFL or any other level of American football, a drop kick conceivably could be important for sake of an onside kick as well, for the drop kick a la present-day rugby kickoffs indeed would be an option so as to prevent the other team from calling a fair catch.

Screw this idea! :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: