Not a world I want to live in

Exactly what I do.

2 Likes

Lewis Black speaking to the Apple Customer Service Rep:

“Do you have an app that turns this piece of shit into a phone?”

:smile:

4 Likes

Lewis Black learned to let bygones be bygones (I’m kidding)
LewisBlack

“My hate of Apple has moved into a hate of Facebook.”

1 Like

I am semi-retired and still use a flip phone. Why? Because I have difficulty texting and can better control what I charge clients for. Texting takes way more time than a phone call, and in my business, if it is not important to speak with me, then don't bother me. I also charge a hefty fee if I have to engage in texting. It is irresponsible in my business. The rest of it that has been mentioned was fairly quaint and, except for party line calls, was harmless. This phone centric society we are drowning in keeps people from personal interaction with other people. I also see people get in car accidents while texting or having their nose in the phone, and love to stop walking and wait for people leaving the elevator to run into me because they do not look where they are going. To suggest that all new technology makes for a better world is naive and short-sighted. So many abuses from social media are no part of civil and criminal trials because they create a record and often ensure conviction. Plus, most of us are simply not very interesting and the events of our lives are unimportant to all but close family members. I see this through work all the time and feel sad for the children that are going to inherit this madness. You can disagree with me but unless you have lived as long as I and experienced what I have, it won't mean much because perspective makes things so much clearer. Happy New Year.

2 Likes

In virtually every family I know, after dinner all family members retreat to their own corner of the house and stare at their phones right until they go to bed. Every single day.

I’ve actually lost track of how many fellow soccer dads and other friends have told me that this is going on in their house. The family members have no desire to do absolutely anything other than to scroll through Facebook, Tik Tok and play Candy Crush.

3 Likes

I am aware of that and when I am in the courthouse, I see EVERYONE, except me, playing with their phone. I always have something I am trying to read, like a book, magazine, or something else in paper form. As it is, with all of this phone stuff, you still have to print out what is on your phone if you intend to introduce it in court. People forget that computers were supposed to give us a paperless society butI have a storage unit with 45 years of files, some holding documents I needed later in my career, with certified signatures. I understand that time marches on, but not everything new is without its flaws, and everything that man creates is quickly abused by somebody. Moderation is the only way to go on this, but people have been withdrawing from interacting with each other going all the way back to the television which made it easier to stay home. Anyway, I appreciate your comments and wish you a very Happy New Year.

So why does sitting there reading a paper book make you better than someone else sitting there reading something on their phone?

2 Likes

I don’t recall Flutie saying he’s better than someone else .

1 Like

Because I read something related to my work during the work day instead of playing with the phone. People are screwing around on their phones, not doing their work or making the most of their time. I always have a file that needs attention, or a transcript that can be read while I wait because I spend a lot of time waiting in courtrooms and courthouse hallways. I also do not walk around the halls with my face in the phone or come out of elevators like that and walk into people. And I cannot text and drive because I do not own a smart phone. I am a serious professional. And now I have to get back to work.

1 Like

The problem is that most of this phone staring is not used for productivity. It’s all mindless time-wasting.

Modern humans have the gift of an electronic device that fits into the palm of their hands. This device contains the sum of all of mankinds knowledge and achievements. Instead of actually using this incredible device to further enhance the mind, most people only use it for useless entertainment purposes. The problem is not with the device but the user. Smartphone addiction is a real problem now in our society.

1 Like

Guess I'd better stop looking at this forum on my phone.

1 Like

“I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get into arguments with strangers.”
-Ian Leslie

2 Likes

While sitting on the toilet…

2 Likes

Anything can be used as a tool, a distraction, an amusement, a crutch, an addiction……..

marshmallow
feather
cloud

[quote="IllinoisGuy, post:32, topication known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get into arguments with strangers.”
-Ian Leslie

[/quote]

Interesting. I guess great minds think alike. :smile:

Actually thank you for bringing up the quote by Ian Leslie. I had never heard of him so I just Googled him and he appears to have authored some books that I would find very interesting. :+1: