Not a world I want to live in

Everyday things that will likely disappear in the next 20 years (and you haven't noticed) (msn.com)

I refuse to conform.

1 Like

Pay phones and chalkboards are already gone. I'd be ok with less traffic on the roads and no power outages. I agree that everything else should stay.

1 Like

Clutches in new vehicles are already next to impossible to find as I found out in 2017. I hate driving an automatic. May as well be driverless.

4 Likes

No more chocolate due to changing climates? Finally, something that’ll spur my fellow Americans into action to save our planet.

Personally, I like knowing a secret code (cursive) that my students can’t decipher. Then again, it’s getting harder for me to read it anymore, either.

3 Likes

Even automatic are nearly gone... so many new cars using things like cvt these days....

1 Like

Back in the day when there was long distance phone calls. My girlfriend lived across one of those imaginary lines where it was a long distance call even though it was 14 miles. So me, my younger brother and some friends would pile in an old car, drive to a bar on the edge of her calling zone. We would all call our GFs from the pay phone outside the little bar. It was cheaper and easier to drive the 14 miles one way to use the pay phone than fork over for long distance phone charges.

2 Likes

We used to have to wait until after a certain time (6 pm?) to call my grandparents.

1 Like

When we’d return from a long trip from my grandparents we’d call and hang up after one ring. That was our signal that we’d arrived safely without paying for a long-distance call.

3 Likes

most of the items on the list are already gone.

and nothing on the list would be missed....

I cant be only one who remembers the Labatt Blueline....
Even if you didn't win you could listen to an ad and use your home phone

Currency (the paper and coin variety) will probably be a thing of the past in a decade or two.

Just like lawn darts.

1 Like

Party lines and operator assisted long distance calls. I would trade smartphone tech to go back to that.

1 Like

why? (serious question).

2 Likes

I just hate this smartphone change to society. From its contributions to what I started this thread with to everybody walking around with their noses to the phone, etc

I dont want to be forced to use a smart phone for banking and shopping etc

1 Like

oh, so you don't like the smart phone, not that you actually like the party lines and operator assisted long distance calls.

that makes more sense.

2 Likes

My phone isn't that smart
It's a hand me down from my son, an I-5
I refuse to put apps on it
I just use my phone as a phone
I still have my land line

2 Likes

I don’t like people walking around or driving with their nose in their phone either, but it has become essential to society. I take it you are retired. There is almost no job you can do without technology.

I would barely be able to visit this forum without my phone, which I do 95% of my posting on. I take it you post from a computer. That is hardly vintage land line technology. The unfortunate reality is that if you aren’t retired a smartphone is essential for functioning in today’s society.

3 Likes

hence one of the reasons for my topic title

not technology altogether but most recent technology

Loved the party line and listening into the neighbors conversation. It was an art-form to pick up the phone and not have them hear and audible click while eavesdropping. On the flip side anything you said on the phone you had to assume the neighbors were listening to what you were saying.

1 Like

Speaking of accidental eavesdropping, some of our first cordless phones (land line) had way too much range. Sometimes we'd pick up other cordless phone conversations happening three or four houses down the street.

2 Likes