:als_red: Non-Alouettes CFL Talk

…and its hot death in the NFL to open your yap publicly about coaching…

I hope he saves some money because this looks, sadly, like a career flaming out.

Which is stupid, because coaches make dumb decisions all the time, but such is the propaganda of pro sports. Coach calls out a player, he’s doing what’s best for the team. Player calls out a coach, he’s selfish, a locker-room cancer, and so on.

2 Likes

It’s true but yeah, as a player just shut up. Because what happens when you do? If the coach is wrong then guys quit playing for him…

that was reason two I liked Maas as a coach. He always stood up and said “my fault guys were not prepared”. He never blamed a player for anything in public.

1 Like

Agreed. I’ll say this about Maas: he takes care of his players and doesn’t throw them under the bus in public. Not every head coach does that.

2 Likes

À propos de n’importe quoi qui n’est pas dans le moule paramétré de la NFL, en fait. Parlez-en à Colin Kappernick.

2 Likes

C’est là une preuve de bon leadership de la part d’un entraîneur. Certains ont tourné Kavis Reed en bourrique justement pour n’avoir pas révélé qui était le joueur de trop lors de l’avant-dernier jeu de la Coupe Grey 2009. Pour ma part, je trouvais que ça tenait de la même attitude que celle que Maas a affichée cette année.

2 Likes

A very good Montreal native WR who won’t be playing with the Als in the near future.

Not a knock on Maciocia, other teams can draft Quebec talent also. Emilus was picked 7th by Sask. in the 2022 draft. We picked Richards at 1, Philpot at 9.

1 Like

I always find drafting to be interesting because there’s three reasons to draft a guy.

• Talented and fills an immediate need.
  • Because you can develop him quickly and trade him for a position you really need a guy at.
  • Depth guys.

…and we as fans can usually only guess what the GM sees in them when they draft them.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the ALs would have taken him over Philpot at 9, had he still been available.

1 Like

And this is why hindsight is 20/20. I don’t think any of us thinks taking Philpot at #9 was a bad choice, given how 2023 (and especially the Grey Cup game) played out.

Tyrell Richards is a tough one. I am hoping and praying he can break out in 2024, avoid serious injury, and become a starter.

3 Likes

Yeah no regrets on Philpot whatsoever. Richards, to this point, has been a waste of a NO 1 pick, injuries and all. A NO 1 overall pick should be able to crack your starting lineup from day one. Be interesting to see what the Als plan for him this year is, maybe the 4th LB in the 3-4 formation. Hope this is his breakout year.

Je suis d’accord qu’il est essentiel que Tyrell Richards demeure en santé en 2024 et qu’il joue comme un choix #1 du repêchage de la CFL, avec une position régulière à la défensive.

Dans leur histoire, les Alouettes ont eu l’occasion, outre 2022, de repêcher trois (3) fois au premier rang du repêchage:
1972 # 1 Larry Smith demi offensif Bishop (joueur avec les Alouettes de 1972 à 1980)
1953 # 1 Doug McNichol ailier défensif Western Ontario(joueur avec les Alouettes de 1953 à 1960)
1952 # 1 Harry Lampman receveur de Queen’s a été choisi par les Alouettes mais le repêchage était alors expérimental dans la division Est seulement et il a joué en 1960 pour les Alouettes, après avoir joué de 1952 à 1956 avec Saskatchewan, 1957-1959 avec Hamilton.
Le repêchage incluant les 9 clubs, a débuté en 1959.

À mon avis, Émilus n’a pas tous les outils que Philpot possède. Ce dernier a de meilleurs changements de direction, ce qui lui permet d’être efficace sur le jeu au sol et sur les passes latérales derrière la ligne de mêlée. Il est également un bon retourneur de bottés. Il a une meilleure accélération et crée plus facilement sa séparation qu’Émilus. Je n’enlève rien aux qualités de ce dernier, mais le coffre à outils de Philpot est mieux gréé.

1 Like

Jalen Philpot was selected at No. 5 by the Stamps, ahead of Emilus.

I guess we’ll see how it all plays out over the next few seasons with the Philpots and Emilus.

He was seeing more playing time on defence when Barron Miles was DC. But also, the injuries have been the main barrier. Last year, he was settling into a nice groove on defence when he suffered an injury and basically missed the rest of the season. The issue now is where to play him. Our starting 3 of Stubblefield, Sankey, and Beverette are pretty set, so either he lines up as the jack in 3-4 alignments, as you suggested, or we convert him to defensive end to platoon with Berglund. Either way this is a make-or-break year for him IMO.

4 Likes

IMO - too many people confuse hockey and football. Football draft picks need a year or two to learn the pro game.
Last years two top picks - Bull played a hand full of games and was no real factor. Second pick was Broderique - and while he showed athleticism and ability - was clearly in over his head even in preseason.
Coach Jones stated earlier this year he expects a bunch of guys who are third year to be way better this year. Which is saying when you play in year one and year two, its for experience…

2 Likes

True to some degree, but there are other better examples of players starting right away, e.g. Jordan Williams. My point in Richards, is mostly that to this point, he has been a special teamer, a good one, when healthy, but unless we work him into a starting role this year and D&P is right maybe that includes in a rotation at DE, then I am not sure why we drafted him NO. 1. Everyone after him in the first round of the 2022 draft are either starters already or get significant playing time on O or D.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think having guys like Philpot and Uguak make an immediate impact in year 1 may have skewed our expectations a bit. And the injuries haven’t helped Richards at all. But I do think 2024 needs to be Richards’s year. We didn’t draft him first overall just to play him on special teams.

2 Likes

If we did, we wasted the pick.

1 Like