Noel Thorpe Resigns

Naw… The Als rewarding Kavis took nothing away from Thorpe. The guy was happy cashing in his substantial raise over the last season. Maas and Thorpe go way back, this is a power play.

Thorpe was sitting in front of Muamba two months ago giving him the sales pitch. Thorpe is a traitor. He will likely surface in Edmonton and Mr. Wetenhall will get his $5000.00 cheque (1/9 of it being his own money) in a get well card and the team will deal with the fallout.

After Chris Jones left Calgary, the Stamps still went to the Grey Cup the next year. Maybe that will happen to the Als??? Well, maybe not...

I do hope that someone and or an Organization will pay; Noel Thorpe cannot get out of his contract and go elsewhere just like that. Noel Thorpe did not act as a professional/

While he's leaving, the shy is not falling down; many did criticize him for his handling of John Bowman,his preference of Marc-Olivier Brouillette over Mike Edem,his defensive schemes,etc; I don't worry at all; if he's not/was not happy here he might as well go elsewhere. He probably realize that he had not too much chance of being the Head Coach.

Richard

He made mistakes as a DC, yes, but the timing of his departure is awful for us. Mistakes or not, he was the one element of stability in our coaching structure and now he's gone. Leaving us scrambling to find a replacement late in the hiring season.

I can see him leaving for a HC job or not extending when his contract is up. But like you say to abandon your team via Email and leave the team scrambling in public is absolutely unnacceptable.

There is one thing however I would like to know. Did he hire Greg Quick or did Popp impose him on Thorpe…

Thorpe deserves everything he gets now. As I said in another thread, I hope Popp lets him rot for the next two years while we move forward with a new DC. This is a guy who bailed on us once, jumped ship to Edmonton in 2007 for the same position (ST coach), and then was out of the league coaching CIS when we came calling. We gave him a chance to be a DC at the pro level, we made it possible for him to gain a reputation as a top defensive mind in this league, we made him assistant HC and gave him a contract extension last year, and how does he repay us? By resigning his position, via email, late in the hiring season, when the goal this year was continuity/stability and Edmonton had never even asked our permission to speak to him.

I understand that he has a difficult situation personally, but having a special-needs child is no excuse for acting like a jackhole in your professional life.

Didier saying Thorpe was going to take Anwar Stewart to be his d-line coach in Edm.

Can`t really blame Anwar as that would have been a promotion.

If we can get a couple first rounders out of Edmonton then at least something is better than nothing but not until our staff is signed and compensation agreed.

Had Thorpe behaved like a MAN he would have knows if he could offer jobs or not. Fruck him!
And John Bowman would have followed too… see how these dominos work…

IMO the compensation wouldn’t be worth losing Thorpe, probably Stewart, and maybe Bowman.

I would let Thorpe rot and hire someone else pronto. If he doesn’t like it, he can go find Maciocia and ask if there’s a CIS position for him…

Commissioner Orridge gets a thumbs up for stepping into this CFL coaching circus and taking a firm stand.

Sure, it's arguable that he should have acted earlier - but he finally acted forcefully with his moratorium memo. It's in the best interests of the entire league. That's what he's paid to do.

Props for the Commish. :thup:

As for Thorpe and the Eskimos: You play with fire, you get your fingers burned.

This is what Herb wrote when Quick first hired in March 2014:

Greg Quick, who was with Toronto in 2010 and ’11, will coach the linebackers, replacing Mark Nelson, who left to become Ottawa’s defensive co-ordinator. But Quick was hired by GM Jim Popp, along with defensive co-ordinator Noel Thorpe — Popp probably believing he would return as Montreal’s head coach after replacing Hawkins.

See that’s a problem…

That was the first time around. No evidence to suggest Popp was the one who reached out to Quick this time. I mean, it's possible, certainly, but not conclusive...

True and Thorpe can say “I don’t want him”… Just that its never a good idea to impose guys but even that’s debatable. Most HC pick the entire staff.

Imagine if Edmonton,given the decision by the Commissioner, was to decide to look elsewhere for a Defensive Coordinator; Noel Thorpe would be unemployed. He may have to wait a long time before a decision is made/reached. The Als are now in the driver's seat. I am of the impression that they will request a large amount of money or draft choices.

Richard

I hope so and Edmonton pretty much has to look elsewhere, otherwise it will simply prove that they were behind the whole thing. I’d prefer a pair of first rounder but the owner may prefer money…

With a special needs son and the inherent costs it won`t be easy for Thorpe to be unemployed.

But accepting compensation is prostituting yourself and conceding that a CFL contract is meaningless. At some point a stand has to be taken.

Now if they want to offer Mike Reilly......

À ce moment-ci, les Alouettes auraient surtout besoin d’un excellent coordonnateur de la défensive et/ou d’un bon entraîneur des demis défensifs et/ou d’un vrai coordonnateur des unités spéciales. À la limite, je crois que Reed pourrait fait un bon boulot comme coordonnateur à la défensive, mais je ne le vois pas s’acquitter de tous ces rôles à la fois.

C’est vraiment une poutine de merde et les enjeux sont grands. Si on permet le pillage des entraîneurs, ça voudra dire que les équipes en reconstruction ne pourront jamais rivaliser avec les équipes mieux établies. Ceci affecterait la parité que la LCF avait fini par relativement atteindre récemment. Une perte de parité serait très dommageable pour l’ensemble de la LCF.

This is a statement from Thorpe to Edmonton TSN reporter Ryan Rishaug:

"Last night, I had a conversation and opened dialogue with Montreal Alouettes President, Mark Weightman, about my situation with the team and future standing. After our conversation, it was confirmed in my mind that, in the best interest of both parties, our professional relationship could not continue forward. I confirmed this in writing to Mr. Weightman late in the evening. My employment ended yesterday prior to the CFL moratorium imposed on coaching movement."

He declined further comment.

From the tone of his statement, lawyers will certainly become involved in this. And the question becomes why would he go to Weightman rather than Popp?