No Yards

Once again, the "vaunted" CFL Officials embarrassed themselves on International television by totally botching a No Yards non-call that led to a lost fumble by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats tonight. This picture, http://tinyurl.com/ordoh8w, shows Brandon Banks attempting to field a punt with 10:32 (or so) remaining in the 2nd Quarter while an Alouette player is WELL within the 5-yard restraining area. That should be an immediate 15-yard "No Yards" penalty from the point of the foul, but apparently the "vaunted" CFL Official cannot count to 5.

I challenge Bob Young to bring this to the attention of the League. I challenge him to do whatever is necessary to make "No Yards" a reviewable call. I even have a solution that can easily be implemented to aid in this.

For years, we have seen a virtual "first-down" line on our TV screens. It should be just as easy to "draw" a 5-yard circle around a punt returner to be used AS AN AID in determining a challenged "No Yards" call.

I am tired of the extremely sub-standard officiating in the CFL. I am tired of watching a bunch of amateur guys in stripes throwing flags, and, all of a sudden, a football game breaks out for a few plays. Frankly, the "vaunted" Chief of Officiating for the CFL, Glen Johnson, either has to crack down on his underlings, or be fired at the end of the season. Under his tenure, what was already questionable, has turned into a disaster. At least Tom Higgins had the stones to DISCIPLINE Officials when they messed up. Wait a minute, he may be looking for a job now, right?

Don't blame Banks for misjudging the ball. Blame the officials for a non call :thup:

:lol: It's always someone else's fault, right?

A little sour grapes...but the ref put his hand on the flag like he was about to throw it and the ball popped out and he didn't throw the flag. Definitely easy no yards considering all the hankies thrown tonight.

In fairness to the Als player who was 3 yards away ... he did put his arms up in the universal "I've done nothing wrong" gesture.

Austin has been pushing the league to do exactly that for 3 years.

:lol:

It is hilarious to see that, mainly because 9/10 times all it does is draw the official's attention to the infraction which will then be called. :lol:

and this block from behind on Rutley's TD run in the 1st qtr

Those 2 plays should definitely be looked at by the league. Nice screen shots!

Isn't blocking in the back only prohibited on kicking plays and turnovers?

You forgot to post the picture of Collaros taking his helmet off on the field. Just sayin :wink:

Als fans can post as many smirky comments in this thread as they want, but that doesn’t change the fact that if this call was made correctly (which it wasn’t), Montreal loses the game.

The point is, Has Collaros been called for removing his helmet
Or had Hamilton been called for roughness on the same play
No field goal

Or had the ref thrown a flag when Bede was nailed ( watch

The point is, Had Collaros been called for removing his helmet
Or had Hamilton been called for roughness on the same play
No field goal

Or had the ref thrown a flag when Bede was nailed ( watch the replay if you can....he was not even looking at the kick)
Montreal would have maintained possession

Or on the Mtl fumble had the play been blown dead when the momentum was stopped
No fumble

Or on one Roughing the passer flag had the ref not been sleeping, noticed that the hit was to Collaros' hips and not his knees
Ham would have punted (I think they went on to score, not sure)

So had all these plays been called correctly (which they weren’t)
Who knows who would have won the game?
the replay if you can....he was not even looking at the kick)
Montreal would have maintained posession

Or on the Mtl fumble had the play been blown dead when the momentum was stopped
No fumble

Or on one Roughing the passer flag had the ref not been sleeping noticed that the hit was to Collaros' hips and not his knees
Ham would have punted (I think they went on to score, not sure)

So had all these plays been called correctly(which they weren't)
Who knows who would have won the game

Especially in the CFL, sometimes the officials scew up calls and/or non-calls. There are what-ifs on every single play. Great teams are able to rise above getting hosed on a few calls. The Ticats won't be a great team until our HC comes to terms with the fact that having a credible running game is a prerequisite for greatness. A big part of the reason Montreal was able to get pressure is because they didn't have to respect the run. A big part of why Montreal was able to win without their starting QB is because they got good production out of their RB.

Sure, injuries were a factor, but when the other team lost their starting QB, it would be a bit rich to play the injury card.

I do tire of all these criticisms of individual calls by the officials. If one thing had been called differently, then so might other things. Some would be favourable to one team, some to the other.

I think the real point in all this is that we didn't play well enough to win the game. Had we played better, scored more points and allowed fewer, we might have won. But we didn't, so we lost. Deservedly. Let's hope the Argos lose to Edmonton, and we play well and win on Labour Day.

BAD Officiating for sure but who cares its CFL officials what more you need to say, all I can say come playoff time Montreal will be outside looking in.

I can't say this with certainty, but my take on that play was that Bede took a dive without being touched. It's hard to tell from the replay. But if it's true, I despise the idea that some players want to take the absolute worst aspect of soccer and import it into football. This is a man's game.

If a player wants to drop to the field without being touched, I suggest that an appropriate remedy would be to force him to stand still while we pick any player from our team to take a running free shot at him. You know, just to right the karmic balance in the universe.

They didn't play well enough to win, but and that's a big but, they've lost many games in the past where they were the better team, it would have been nice to win when they weren't. The Ticats have lost 3 games this year by a combined total of 8 points, that's crazy, they should be 8-1 or even 9-0.

This is what it comes down to for me;

The O just scored to tie the game at 23. The D had been keeping the Als at bay for the last couple series and at that point had them pinned on their 15 I think it was with 7:28 left in the game.

The D couldn't shut them down and let them march 50 yards and take so much time off the clock.

This thread is getting off topic, the NO YARDS missed call was an integral mistake that cost this game. Yes there were a lot of mistakes by the ticats on offense and defense, but even with these mistakes they would have won if not for that missed call.