No Yards

Ok so this has probably been disected 40 000 times on this forum alone. BUT I don't mind the rule itself but if the ball has bounced then what is the point of that? Obviously when the ball has hit the turf the Kick or Punt returner has his attention and would see any body coming, In my mind the No Yards is just as "wuss" as the Fair Catch Rule in the NFL argue all you want but how often do you see guys get completely taken out during a no yards penatly, most of the time a flag flies because a guy is 3 yards away not 5 without even laying a finger on him.

lame

The fair catch? The no yards? Saskfan23?

:D

the thread

Sorry for discussing a rule that I see as a bit of an issue, didn’t know you were the all-star poster…

I bow before you :roll:

i appreciate that

Hothead your turn to bow.

Jman, your turn to bow.

That's why if it hasn't bounced yet, No Yards is a 15 yard penalty and if it has a chance to bounce, it's only a 5 yard penalty. You are being penalized in a sense for letting the ball bounce. It's not just called to protect the defender, but it also exists so that a returner always has at least a 5 yard bubble to try and do something with the return.

You know better than that.

Single best difference from NFL to CFL imo. Nothing frustrates me more in an NFL game than watching a returner wave "Don't hit me, Don't hit me".

May we NEVER institute a fair catch rule....EVER!

"Don't hit me, Don't hit me" = irrelevant
The rule is there to protect the punt returner...if he decides to not use the fair catch = Rock on

:thup: NFL needs to adopt the CFL rule but I know what you're getting at backer.

This is another offseason thread I see making its return appearance during the season like that damn expansion thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, if we would widen our field down here to 60 yards, that would improve our game. If you think that is a whole lot more than the current 53 and 1/3 (160ft), we are talking about adding 10 feet to each side (180ft) and most venues will have the space. "Amateur" ball can remain on the old field, as I could care less.

They tried a 2yd halo rule in the NCAA years ago, but it was abandoned because apparently not enough coaches taught their players the rule and so many penalties followed. :roll: This is sort of like how apparently most high school coaches any more do not teach wrap tackling.

Even so I like the idea of 3 yards on a wider field to get rid of the fair catch altogether, and then have the penalty for NO YARDS be the same as in Canadian rules right now.

This is not going to happen down here though because the NFL has an agenda to reduce the number of returns altogether for chiefly business reasons and not all the other hot air and propaganda about player safety and so forth.

More fair catches means longer and more easily scheduled commercial breaks including the annoying double especially in the first half of the game. :thdn:

Incorrect. Often players are within the 5 yard buble without penalty. Pause an punt and officials rarely flag a player until he is 4 yards or less when in line with the hash marks. Players can be as close as 3 yards when the are laterally from the returner. To the officials credit it can be difficult to judge 5 yards from the ground without refernce. I can't remember a time when no yards was called on a player OUTSIDE the 5 yards.

No yards is a far superior rule to the fair catch. How can you call yourself a punt returner when you're on the sidelines drinking gatorade before the whistle is blown?

I could be mistaken so feel free to correct me, but I believe even without the fair catch there is still a yard and half restraining zone around a punt returner in the NFL. You cannot simply drill the guy the second he catches the ball, or stand right on top of him.

This is mostly not correct in my understanding of past and present rules for NFL football. As explained below, a 2-yard zone was a rule for NCAA ball for a season before it was abandoned.

Yes you can drill the player fielding the ball right after that instant he has possession. You can stand right on top of him most of the time too, but you cannot be doing so in such a way that you interfere with a player fielding the ball. There is no yardage or space designation, but the standing over as opposed to an early hit is an uncommon matter and ends up an obvious call by the referee as explained below.

By NFL rules a player fielding a kick must be given full,un-interfered opportunity to field the punt. There is no designated zone of interference, but the coverage team players cannot touch the player, or interfere with the ability for him to catch the ball, until player either he has fielded the ball or the ball actually touches the ground.

The NFL did make one change last season such that this opportunity to field the ball extends to include any bobbling of the ball by the fielding player until the actual ball his the ground. Before this coming season, if the fielding player bobbled the catch he could be clobbered.

Also another rule change is in place such that the player fielding the ball cannot be struck above the shoulders to be tackled.

Indeed any interference or high hit is a 15-yard penalty.

In my opinion though I can't remember the last time it happened, a blatant clobbering by a coverage player should merit a disqualification as well.