No yards punt rules

A few clarifications on the history of rules:

The line of scrimmage for a convert
Prior to 1956 - 5 yard line (TDs worth 5 points)
1956-1974 - 10 yard line (TDs increased to 6 points in 1956)
1975 to present - 5 yard line (2-point convert introduced to CFL in 1975)

Penalties on converts
Up until 1969 - if the kicking team committed an infraction on a convert attempt it forfeited the convert.
1975-1977 - defensive pass interference on a 2-point attempt resulted in automatic score of two points.

End zones changed from 25 yards to 20 yards starting in 1986. BC Place was built to accomodate the 25 yard end zone but someone forgot that a buffer was needed between the field and the wall. As a result, BC Place only had 20 yard end zones starting from opening day in 1983.

Grey Cup Bowl Games
1950 - Mud Bowl
1962 - Fog Bowl
1965 - Wind Bowl

Jim Van Pelt only played in one Grey Cup game and that was in 1958 (he scored 22 points in that one).

1975-1977 - defensive pass interference on a 2-point attempt resulted in automatic score of two points.
This rule I seem to recall as a youngster....certainly keeps the D honest..surprised it only last 3 seasons
End zones changed from 25 yards to 20 yards starting in 1986. BC Place was built to accomodate the 25 yard end zone but someone forgot that a buffer was needed between the field and the wall. As a result, BC Place only had 20 yard end zones starting from opening day in 1983.
so all stadiums subsequently retracted their endzones because of BC Place? Would it not have been easier just to maintain the 25 yd endzones for all stadiums except BC Place instead of altering 8 stadiums?

This is one change I do not particularly care for whatsoever. :thdn:

Thanks. Now that you mention that converts were taken from the ten before they were moved to the five, of course they were. No idea which dead braincells my previous post came from. :oops:

It would be interesting though to see what strategic decisions would have to be made in the event of a bounce. Would the return team player risk the fumble or allow the ball to continue to bounce at the cost of field position?

All good questions Catsfan.. I don't have definite answers but those points you made are probably good reasons why the 5 yard no yards is here and here to stay.

As a follow on to Catsfan's questions:

I suppose that it could be mandated as such that the return team is entitled to play a bouncing kicked ball without interference. That is to say, offside kick team players can down the bouncing ball so long as any contact with return team players does not impede their play to the ball. However, should the offside kick team player touch the ball before coming into contact with a return team player who was also trying to play the ball, no penalty should be assessed so long as the ball was touched first.