No yards punt rules

During the game , we punted deep in the argo end . The ball took a argo bounce and forced our defenders to retreat trying to allow distance for the 5 yard rule. What ended up happening was the ball traveled back towards hamilton 5 yards and then we received a 5 yard no yards penalty.

My question , should/could we have downed the ball and receive a 5 yard penalty and avoided the argo bounce?

Thanks

It would have been a 15 yard penalty if a Ticat player had touched the ball before an Argo player. Much better to surround the returner and wait for him to touch the ball and then tackle him, taking the 5 yard penalty.

Got ya. Did realize it was 15 if it was touched, unless it is the kicker.

Thanks

The punter and anyone lined up behind the punter can grab the ball in that scenario, correct? (without penalty, nor having the punt returner touch the ball)

Correct

similar to an onside kick I would imagine

thanks G

yes, because for any players behind the punter, that's exactly what it is.

There's another question for our beloved coaching staff. Last week when Medlock was struggling punting the ball into a very strong wind. Why didn't the coaching staff have a speedy player like Thigpen line up onside and have him run after the ball on every punt against the wind?

Undue risk of injury in a meaningless game. Also, it probably didn’t occur to them.

Saving that for the Winnipeg game? It sometimes gets pretty windy there too, so you never know.

And I would have gone with Kelley on that play. Fairly fast and very tall. And he's already like a heat-seeking missile on ST, so he's got a nose for the ball. And low impact to the team if injured than one of the starting receivers or backs.

If it had been a meaningful game, I would have gone high on kickoffs as well. Lots of hangtime on a medium length kickoff would give the coverage team time to get underneath it.

No Game is meaningless to me, but you are probably right in the fact that it didn't occur to them.

Too many no yards penalties, I think they should have a "fair catch" rule and if the ball is bouncing around the kick team can down the ball. Would really cut down on the boring penalties. If the player decides to catch the ball and doesn't give the signal for fair catch then the other team can try to tackle him without the no yards.

watch the nfl. and there is the added bonus of no Canadians for you as well

speaking of rules, what is the standard penalty for a pass interference on a two point convert?

You beat me to it.

Habcat wrote:

"There's another question for our beloved coaching staff. Last week when Medlock was struggling punting the ball into a very strong wind. Why didn't the coaching staff have a speedy player like Thigpen line up onside and have him run after the ball on every punt against the wind?"

A very good question, habcat, that crossed my mind. I dismissed it at the time, but it's comforting to find that someone else had that same thought. Even though it might only work for the first and maybe a second time later, it would have at least negated a no yards penalty. At most, we would have gained some valued field position in the game and give some other teams something to think about.

Too bad that we will unlikely get an answer.

The same as it would be on any play from the 5 yard line.
Foul in the end zone = ball on the 1.
Foul outside the end zone = ball at the spot of the foul, or half the distance to the goal line, whichever is further.

thanks JFL.

Reason I ask, is that years ago the rule stated that any Pass Interference on a two point conversion would be an automatic 2 points for the victimized team.

Not sure when this rule was changed..

Actually I just checked the rule book and I was wrong.
The ball is placed on the 1 regardless of where the interference took place:

i By Team B on a convert attempt – attempt repeated by Team A at Team B’s
one-yard line.[/i]

As for the automatic 2 points rule you mentioned..... never heard of if.

Actually I just checked the rule book and I was wrong. The ball is placed on the 1 regardless of where the interference took place:

(iii) By Team B on a convert attempt – attempt repeated by Team A at Team B’s
one-yard line.

As for the automatic 2 points rule you mentioned..... never heard of if.

To my recollection as a young teen, the automatic two points for PI on conversions was used at least up until the late 70's or early 80's.

It certainly kept DB's on their best behaviour. :stuck_out_tongue: