No suspension for MUrphy

From the CFL,

The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced today that it has fined BC Lion Rob Murphy an undisclosed amount for his conduct involving Edmonton Eskimo Jason Goss in last Friday night's game.

A thorough review has found that, while Murphy's conduct was clearly inappropriate, and the subsequent involvement of other players compounded the risk to Goss, Murphy's actions alone did not constitute an unnecessary risk to Goss that was severe enough to merit suspension under the new player safety standard established recently by the league.

Edmonton Eskimo Dario Romero was also fined an undisclosed amount for his conduct during the incident.

Wow the CFL has no testies look at the NHL can't rememer the guys name for the Leafs just came of a suspension for cross checking to the back first game back he does it again wham fined and suspended. Thats justice the CFL has got to stop being little kitties looking for milk step up and make some serious actions.

Vindication is sweet!

How is Murphy vindicated? The league still felt he did enough wrong to fine him. I'd hardly say he was vindicated... :roll:

Crosscheck to the back is dangerous, holding a guy down isnt. I think thats probably the difference between a suspension and a fine. Taking lumber to the back hurts more than a big dude sitting on ya too lol :smiley:

I wouldnt say he was vindicated of any wrong doing, he did commit a fine worthy offense. He was vindicated in regards to the witch hunt mentality that was going on here.

Just means it adds more to list of offenses. Should in theory take less for him to get a suspension now.

That could very well be and would seem reasonably fair. How many fine able infractions does it take to get a suspension? Maybe we will find out down the road. Who knows what the leagues policy is there?

Well, I think that's what some of us were arguing. The guy has had so many dirty plays before, shouldn't he be suspended? Giving him a fine now under the new policy pretty much makes it impossible to suspend him for future offences. The league just set a precedent. Next time this happens and the league finally decides to get off their asses and do something, Murphy can appeal the suspension and say, "All I got last time was a fine, why am I being suspended now?"

Even with the new rules put in place they still need the help of the CFLPA to actually put in a system where multiple game suspensions are possible, and obviously some major adjustments to the arbitration process.

I agree. This max of $1,000 fines and 1 game suspensions is beyond ridiculous.

Yep. Vindicated:

Murphy rules and [b]made me proud[/b]! Hard nosed football [b]within the rules[/b] was all it was.
Definately your statement is 100% correct... well the "made me proud" part at least.... Guilty, as charged..... be proud. Be very proud!!

I'm sure Marty York musta had something to do with it....Gotta be there's no other explanation.

Arius, you didn't hear, man? The league was wrong. They're biased against the Lions, just like this forum.

From Marty York,

Marty York announced today that it has fined BC Lion Rob Murphy an undisclosed amount for his conduct involving Edmonton Eskimo Jason Goss in last Friday night's game.

A thorough review has found that, while Murphy's conduct was clearly inappropriate, and the subsequent involvement of other players compounded the risk to Goss, Murphy's actions alone did not constitute an unnecessary risk to Goss that was severe enough to merit suspension under the Marty York safety standard established recently by Marty York.

Edmonton Eskimo Dario Romero was also fined an undisclosed amount for badmouthing Marty York.

For the record I don't know who Mary York is I'm just having some fun....Sorry Marty whom ever you are :stuck_out_tongue:

On a more serious note, I don't like the call...not at all, there was no need for that. Goss wasn't about to go anywhere period.

The CFL made a bad choice in not suspending Murphy for what he did to Jason Goss.When the two teams meet again in Edmonton this friday.Its a sure thing that the Eskies will be looking to get payback on Murphy and that could lead to some one getting seriously/If it does happene it could have been avoided if the CFL had suspened Murphy in the first place for what happened.

I disagree, the fact that the league did not suspend Murphy does not justify retaliation by the esks.

Agreed. If any of my guys do anything on Friday, I'll be the first one on a plane to Edmonton to ram my foot up someone's behind. Just because they play dirty doesn't mean we have to.

He was vindicated from being an axe murderer in the weak minds of many posters on this board. The league is smarter than you on this one and they stated that Murphy's actions were not severe enough to warrant suspension.

I'm frankly surprised they even fined him. Probably just to maintain political correctness after all the whining from the sweater knitting club.

The league didn't suspend him because that would have meant another appeal and arbitration process, and the league's lack of success with those hearings is why Murphy got off with just a fine. If the league had the power to suspend Murphy, he would have gotten at least one game. A $1,000 fine is a joke. It will take a career ending injury to a star player (Simon, Burris or Ray as examples), for the CFLPA to wake up to this dangerous situation. This has to change, even it means locking out the players to get the change.