No Pregame Show

You are right about that Earl.
I think alot of Toronto sportscaster, Steven Brutn, Garth Woolsley, Dave Perkins, and all the baseball writers, are probably ticked off the CFL is up there, while baseball is fading fast.

And how embarassing it must be for guys like Brunt and Steve Simmons who were writing how the Buffalo Bills in Toronto were going to kill the CFL? And how Toronot fans would scoop up these NFL tickets at any price.

Yet I read today Rogers was giving anybody who bought blue Jays season tickets a free pair of tickets for the football game.
Plus they're having a draw where another 1500 free tickets are available. From what it sounds like, they probably haven't sold 20,000 tickets to this thing.

I think that TSN does a great job at covering the CFL... However I agree that there should be more of an effort made at doing more pre-game & perhaps some post-game coverage. I would watch all day long if they were talking about the CFL. It's like crack to me!

Earl youre absolutely correct, but I dont know why they complain.

Baseball screwed itself in this country.

Not too long ago there were 2 MLB teams and 4 AAA teams. Now theres only one sad excuse of a baseball team. Its obvious baseball doesnt care about Canada, and good riddance!

You can have your un-capped joke of a league, ran by hypocrites and drug users. That may be unfair, but that`s how I feel about MLB.

You got that right Geroy. I wish all the best for the Jays but my heart isn't with MLB and the Jays for me, while I do watch them, is just something to pass the time by whereas the CFL is deep down in the heart, and who wins the Grey Cup.

Yet I read today Rogers was giving anybody who bought blue Jays season tickets a free pair of tickets for the football game.

Seriously berezin? Wow!

Oh yes, what Rogers is best known for, be it baeball or this money losing NFL situation, how to paper the house.

Maybe this is what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket. Thank you very much Tom Wright. Is this why he's no longer Commissioner?

Can you tell me what the other offers were from other networks ? Not much to choose from, CBC only did games when they wanted and after labour day, is that better ? Rogers showed no interest. But I guess TSN doing every game and making the league more viable than it has been in 35 years, isn’t good enough for the whiners . If you don’t like it , don’t watch !

Bravo to TSN for a great season of coverage.

Pre-game shows who needs them? The pre-game hype can be ovewhelming as it is without the Panel tripping over themselves trying to prove how insightful they are in their analysis of the upcoming game.

There were no other offers, since the Commissioner made the deal with TSN without inviting tenders from the other networks, though both CBC and Global had expressed strong interest. Who knows how much they would have bid? But it’s usually good business practice to have more than one party bidding on your product, and CBC did pony up big money to keep HNIC. CBC has not restricted its coverage to post labour day for years and this was no longer an issue. And the league was doing well financially until 1984 (25, not 35 years ago) when it lost its $11 million/year TV/sponsorship deal with Carling. That’s when the decline began. Get your facts straight before you start slamming other posters.

:thup:

I like NFL pregame shows because they have more than 1 game to talk about. Say they spend 10 minutes per game, they have 2.5 hours of stuff to talk about.

A CFL pregame show would have 10 minutes of useful information and commentary followed by 20 to 50 minutes of filler. That would be weak.

That 10 minutes of information and commentary can be taken care of in the 5 minutes before kickoff and during halftime.

I don’t care how interested CBC was. They lost the right to broadcast ANY game when they decided to show a Nick Nolte movie instead of the end of the Edmonton/Saskatchewan game. And Global… They’re not even a sports network.

The point is that Wright missed out on potential millions extra for his employers by foregoing the traditional bidding process.

What were the details of the offers ? Which network caused the cfl to lose a million dollars ? CBC LMAO

You’re being obtuse, and you’re still missing (or avoiding) the point.

Actually CBC wanted to team up with Global to secure the TV rights from TSN, but were not allowed to submit a bid. Global also put in the highest bid for the previous TV deal (wanting to play all games on Saturday), but the league decided to stick with TSN/CBC.

I guess the CBC didn't know what a gift the CFL was for the previous 50 years, with their ratings in reality 2 or 3 times higher than the antiquated ratings system showed. The CBC could promote it's other programming to a CFL audience of millions, but now they have lost a major inlet into this valuable demographic. The CBC has nothing to replace the CFL. They had hoped the Blue Jays (not), Raptors (not) and finally the TFC (not) could pick up that lost audience...now the CBC is just withering on the vine.

CBC may have sucked, but how you do a backroom deal with TSN without having a clear and open process is beyond me. Obviously the CFL felt money was not the big issue...

A good sign is CBC is still giving the CFL headlines on their website.
An obvious sign to me they want back in.

Yes, no question the CBC wants the CFL back, especially now that the CFL's true ratings value has been revealed.

But the league simply did not want the CBC to broadcast games anymore, no matter how much they were willing to pay. For instance, the CBC's on-screen "first-down marker" rarely worked, or worked poorly...the CBC blacked-out games they shouldn't have...they had labour disputes which caused them to broadcast games with no announcers...they only had one HD truck which was broken down near Kapuskasing...the CBC refused to broadcast CFL games in the summer for many years, but then tried it and within one season they were setting ratings records in August...but by then it was too late. :roll:

Another thing I really like about TSN covering all the games is that I think a result of this is that when I watch Sportscentre, the first highlights shown usually, maybe always not sure, are the CFL games played that day or the night before. What this has done is make me watch Sportscentre just about all the time since I noticed this the last while and I hardly ever watch Sportsnet or The Score as the CFL highlights are usually buried half way during the show.

I think TSN has done a great job with the CFL. They have shown a true commitment to the league by airing all games including some Pre-season. I particularily enjoy the Friday night telecasts, not just because of the game(s), it just happens to be my beer and order in night as well. A truly unbeatable combination.

The CFL may have undervalued the worth of TV rights to TSN, but money isn’t everything with regards to the the additional exposure TSN offers over the CBC days of old. Is TSN making any money off the CFL? I hope they are, and lots of it. When the next round of negotiations comes up, the CFL will benefit considerably.

In the near future when the CFL brass is reviewing bids for TV rights, I hope somebody will bring up the NHL and Versus.