No deep thoughts, just a bit of fun

Does anyone remember the small plastic discs you once got in Post cereals with CFL players pictures on them? My avatar picture is one of them. It’s Bill Munsey’s disc from about 63 or 64. Any other old collectables from when we were kids you can think of?

The last Blue Bombers Grey Cup pennant. :wink:

An old Miami Dolphins helmet. :wink:

the only thing I have is a 25 yr old J5V

I laughed…

Must’ve been a huge box of cereal to have that asa prize in it. :smiley:

I am wondering if it looks like the pennant which I have, that was flown over Civic Stadium (renamed Ivor Wynne Stadium in 1971) by the Hamilton Tiger Cats, in 1964, in recognition of their 1963 Grey Cup victory.

(see my signature photos.)

I’ve got some gumball machine mini-helmets that I am positive came out of cereal boxes in about '69 or '70, one of those two years. I still have them in my collectibles curio. I have three - Roughriders, Rough Riders, and Eskimos. These were likely from Post cereal boxes.

Those plastic caps are commonly known as Nalley’s caps from 1963 and 1964. They didn’t come from Post cereal boxes but from four potato chip companies, Nalley’s, Humpty Dumpty, Krunchee and Hunter’s in 1963 featuring players from 8 CFL teams but not Saskatchewan. In 1964 they were only distributed by Nalley’s and only featured players from the 5 Western teams.

How old ARE you guys? :o

75, problematic ?

The aforementioned aluminum chip coins
Sheriff jello coins
Hockey bottle caps from Coke and maybe Sprite
And didn’t Esso have some kind of Hockey stickers ?

That’s right, I stand corrected, so long ago it seems. What did Post hand out then? I’m 65, someone asked. I once had a Joe Kapp peanut butter drinking glass I got from an apperence he did at a local grocery store in Vancouver…

Post had the football cards which you cut out on the backs of cereal boxes in 1962 and 1963. There are a couple of short print cards around which are really hard to find which were on the backs of Grape Nuts cereal which has to be the most undesirable cereal ever made for a kid in the 60’s.
The Joe Kapp glass you mention was put out by Squirrel peanut butter. Eat the peanut butter and keep the glass. They occasionally show up on Ebay.

My first attempt to post hope it works.It’s different circumstances then mentions in the discussion, but I have a copy of the first year cfl record book. It’s in great shape too

I wish this J5V was only 25 years old :frowning:

55, but lucky for me people think I am in my late 30s / early 40s. :wink:

If you’re young (and I am assuming by that question that you are), you missed out on the golden age of CFL collecting. There were so many really cool things to collect in the 60s and 70s which helped a generation of youngsters really identify with the players. In 1971 for example, there were CFL O-Pee-Chee trading cards and an Eddie Sargent CFL sticker book. Locally, Royal Bank issued weekly 4"x6" B&W BC Lions player portraits, Chevron gas put out 3"x4" colour player cards on glossy paper stock, and there was a Jim Young growth chart (Plenamins vitamins). How could you not be engaged with the local team??

Yes, I own the Joe Kapp Squirrel Peanut Butter glass. In fact, I own a massive collection of Lions memorabilia.

Was it easier to identify with players back in those days than it is today, when people can watch every game on (full colour) HDTV, read every morsel of CFL news online, and see the players’ own thoughts and interact with them personally on sites like Twitter?

Interesting thought ExPat, and from a mass media standpoint, you’re absolutely right. But I would submit that it is harder to stand out today amid the “clutter.” There are just so many more things competing for eyeballs.

So yes, access to CFL content has never been easier or more readily available. But are we making more CFL fans out this access to content, or merely satiating the appetite for it among the CFL’s existing fan base? In those days, there were fewer televised games for sure, but there were also fewer professional teams competing for your attention, no such thing as the internet, no Fortnite and on…and on…and on…

“Collectibles” (what we call them today, back then it was just “stuff”) really drove my interest in the league and attending a game was a real treat.

I had the full set of the Post Cereal CFL cards. As we lived close to Hardiman Cureton’s (sp)other job (owned soft ice cream trucks) he would take my cards each week and get them autographed by his team players and the opposition. I had the whole set until my mother cleaned up just after I moved out. :’( :’( :’(I had not the chance to finalize my move. In those early days players had a job and played football as well. In my first job Willie Bethea worked with survey crews and would leave early for practice each day. Players were out working in the community and fans could have easy access and relate to them.

Did they used to teach that in Mother School? As soon as your kid isn’t looking, you must throw out anything they spent years collecting.