No Atlantic Schooners at grey cup

this is very disappointing. i always looked forward to seeing the schooner fans.

[url=http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/sports/story.html?id=6e648e69-b23d-49b5-99f5-9a0702414fb4]http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/n ... 0702414fb4[/url]

[b]Atlantic fans boycott Grey Cup game over 'snub'
Canwest News Service; Sports Ticker
Published: 10 hours ago

A Grey Cup tradition for 24 years will be absent from this year's Canadian Football League championship game at the Olympic Stadium on Nov. 23. The Atlantic Schooners Football Association said it has brought its Down East Kitchen Party to two dozen consecutive Grey Cup celebrations, and was sold out every year since Ottawa in 2001. But spokesperson John Ryerson says the fan group is boycotting this year's event because they were snubbed by the Montreal organizing committee. He said his group, which also raises funds for charity at each Grey Cup it attends, has spent nine months trying to get some form of assistance with the logistics of getting to Montreal, but has been rebuffed. "Our support team, which consists of volunteers from all across Canada, have collectively decided not to attend the Grey Cup in Montreal this year," Ryerson said.[/b]

Way to litte info to pass judgement here

judgment? what? i think it is more of a bummer that they are not gonna be there than anything. it's one of those weird traditions that you get in the cfl.

here is some more info:

http://www.individual.com/story.php?story=91746561

[b]History:

We have attended 24 consecutive Grey Cup Celebrations

This Year was to be our 25th consecutive attendance at Grey Cup Celebrations

• We held the Down East Kitchen Party 1 in Ottawa in 2004 Sold Out

• We held the Down East Kitchen Party 2 in BC in 2005 Sold Out

• We held the Down East Kitchen Party 3 in Winnipeg in 2006 Sold Out

• We held the Down East Kitchen Party 4 in Toronto in 2007 Sold Out

• Down East Kitchen Party 5 in Montreal in 2008 "Shut Out"

The Atlantic Schooners have rallied both support and interest in the CFL throughout Atlantic Canada for many years.

The Atlantic Schooners have raised many thousands of dollars for charity in each of the cities in which the Grey Cup was held.

The Atlantic Schooners have been solid ambassadors from the grassroots in promoting the league while at the same time keeping the dream of future expansion alive in Atlantic Canada.

I personally have donated over $50,000 of my own money to the cause over the past four years.

We have a very large and loyal Grey Cup following from coast to coast.

This brings me to the reason for writing this letter to you. I have spent 9 months trying to get some form of assistance with the logistics of coming to Montreal and have been unable to get anywhere and I mean anywhere. Countless emails and phone calls went unanswered. Any name I did get, after we ask for assistance seems to have fallen into a black hole never to be heard from again. This has happened on several occasions. I sit back and ask the question "why" or better yet "how" could this happen. It's not like we were asking for money or anything for free, we just needed help understanding the program and the lay of the land so to speak.

How can the overwhelming support from the past four Grey Cups have been so warm and friendly and the level of support in Montreal nonexistent. Grey Cup Montreal may as well asked the Atlantic Schooners not to bother coming to Montreal, it would have been easier for us to take. I remember last year at our venue in the Toronto Convention Centre the night the current Commissioner came by and had beer and a lobster sandwich and said "good job" this is what makes our Grey Cup, Canadian and special. The year before that, we honored the outgoing commissioner at our Winnipeg Venue and presented him with a special gift from Atlantic Canadians for his efforts in keeping the dream alive. He said it was the nicest gift he had received since being commissioner and stayed over an hour in our venue with his whole family and made the Atlantic Canadians feel like they were a part of our great game.

Our support team which consists of volunteers from all across Canada have collectively decided not to attended the Grey Cup in Montreal this Year. We will make the reasons why we not be attending available to the general public and our supporters in an open letter which will posted on our website November 1st. Our website has received over 23,456 hits since August asking if the Atlantic Schooners would be at Grey Cup Montreal.

On a positive note, we are gearing up and have received the type of support we have received in past Grey Cup cities from our friends in Calgary. So the Atlantic Schooners will be celebrating The Down East Kitchen Party and our 25th year in Calgary November 2009. I think your committee missed an opportunity to strengthen the fan based throughout the country.

Atlantic Canadian CFL fans wish you the best with your event this November in Montreal.

More info Google CFL John Ryerson or Atlantic Schooners

SOURCE: Atlantic Schooners Football Association

Atlantic Schooners Football Association
John Ryerson
Toll Free 1-877-222-0955
Email: www.atlanticschooners.com

Copyright (C) 2008 Marketwire. All rights reserved. [/b]

Pass judgement on who is at fault....
I have read what you posted a few times....he complains but doesnt say what the problem is

well i am not passing judgment...but...something is weird. my guess is because the schooners aren't a team aren't a part of the cfl the grey cup committee doesn't get it. and that they probably are just dismissing it as some 'goofy' fans trying to throw a party. which it kinda is except for the 'goofy' part.

I kinda doubt that because if there attended for 24 years then they would have had to deal with Mtl back in 2001.
I would like to know what it is exactly that they wanted

my guess is a room or tent to hold their event in. but would you not agree that something is wrong when they have not had any problems in all the other cities that been too? plus there probably was a different grey cup committee in mtl in 2001.

I cant agree untill I know what was asked for and what was offered

I highly doubt it's Montreal's fault.

How would you explain Touchdown Manitoba, Spirit of Edmonton, Athletes in Action, Calgary Pancake Breakfast, BC Lions' Den all being there as usual. I mean, their phone calls were returned, they found their spot, they were helped by Montreal... They were able to organize and promote their events...

They seem bitter about something, and it's surely from their hand.

Come on.

ro1313 says

Pass judgement on who is at fault....
I have read what you posted a few times....

he complains but doesnt say what the problem is

John Ryerson of the Atlantic Schooners Football Association wrote this.
This brings me to the reason for writing this letter to you.

I have spent 9 months trying to get some form
of assistance with the logistics of coming to Montreal

and have been unable to get anywhere and I mean anywhere.

Countless emails and phone calls went unanswered.

Any name I did get, after we ask for assistance
seems to have fallen into a black hole never
to be heard from again.

This has happened on several occasions.

I sit back and ask the question "why"
or better yet "how" could this happen.

It's not like we were asking for money or anything for free,
we just needed help understanding the program

and the lay of the land so to speak.

It is perfectly clear to me that despite his efforts, he couldn't even get
the simplest of information from the people he communicated with.

Nobody in charge in Montreal ever got in touch with him.

THIS YEAR'S Montreal Grey Cup committee failed to communicate
with the Atlantic Schooner Association in a professional manner.

If that is unclear to you, ro1313, call or e-mail John Ryerson

his number is 1-877-222-0955

or e-mail him at johnryerson@eastlink.ca

Atlantic Schooners Football Association.

first of all I really dont care but he says he said he wanted the logistics of getting to Montreal?

What is that supposed to me?

What did he want? Directions?

It not up to the Committe to supply road maps.

Must be hard to find the Montreal Alouettes’ phone numbers on the internet…

or google maps

But it's not the Atlantic Schooners' fault...

Whatever happened it is too bad. I know we don't have a stadium here but this was a reminder to the rest of Canada that there is some of us here in Atlantic Canada that love the CFL. I have no idea who is at fault.

I don't understand why they would not return his calls.

I don't understand what he needed so much help with after staging this for over 20 years.

A lot of people here seem to think that John Ryerson went stupid overnight.

Give him a phone call him and find out where he went wrong,

or just shut up and give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

P.S.

How many of you would like to have your competence questioned
in a most public of forums by people who don't have the facts?

i just think it is all weird. why this year? something is odd about this situation. but you gotta be careful talking anything about the alouettes, montreal, quebec, because ro1313 (and don't mean this in a bad way ro1313, serious, i love that there is some alouette fans that are so dedicated) is a very sensitive forum member if you question any thing about his team.

That is ridiculous!
I am supposed to give him the benefit of the doubt?
He has the beef and I am supposed to call him!
If he has a problem it is up to him to spell it out! It is not up to us to dig for info!

Do you have the facts?
Seems to me you are questioning the competence of the Als organization.....without the facts!

That's the problem....He wont spell out the facts!

Yes its weird but what is the problem?
Why doesn't he tell us his beef?

Think about it!

You want me to condemn the Als for their actions.....Fine! I will! EH! What did they do?
Do you know?
I don't!
How do you want me to say that either of them are in the wrong when we dont know what the problem is!

Its like being on a jury and the prosecutor says to you....." He committed a crime, now lock him up"!
Don'T you think that you would like to know what the crime was?

In My books
Until he spells it out....He is only looking for attention