NI OL Matt Morencie

.......taken off of Hams. pr.......Good move to address o line concerns....Ti-Cats apparently spent all season converting him to centre....Should be a good addition next season and give Obby Khan a run...Morencie was considered a no 1 pick in his draft year, so we know he has talent...It may be a late move on our part but an important one ...Now if we can land another decent o lineman with one of our high draft pics next year...we'll be in good shape :thup: :thup:

Who needs draft picks when you can pluck a guy like him off a PR :wink:

Seriously though, this is a step in the right direction for us, good move Joe Mack.

Good for you, terrible for us.He was going to be a beast replacement when Hage retires in a year or two.Really not impressed with the Cats letting guys slip away lately.

Looks like he had some sort of run in with a reporter at a U of Windsor Lancers game.

WINNIPEG — The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have added some Canadian talent to the offensive line.

In a bit of a surprise, the local CFL club plucked non-import OL Matt Morencie off the Hamilton Tiger-Cats practice roster this afternoon. With the move, the Bombers are required to activate the 22-year-old for the game against the Edmonton Eskimos at Commonwealth Stadium Saturday.

The move is not without cause. Not only does Winnipeg bring in another young player to evaluate, the club is also down a Canadian lineman, as a shoulder injury to Brendon LaBatte will sideline the third-year player for likely the remainder of the season.

Morencie was originally taken by the B.C. Lions in the third round (21st overall) of the 2009 CFL Draft. After finishing up his college career at the University of Windsor (where he won the J.P. Metras Trophy as the most outstanding lineman in the CIS), the Ticats signed Morencie as a free agent.

Morencie is not without his baggage, though.

At a CIS game in Windsor over the weekend, the 6-foot-2, 267-pound Windsor-native was involved in a bizarre post-game incident with Windsor Star columnist Bob Duff. According to reports, Morencie verbally assaulted Duff before taking the reporter’s notepad and tearing pages out of it – all in front of other media members.

Morencie’s father, Mike, is the head coach of the Windsor Lancers football program.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Bombers-add-Canadian-talent-105906868.html

I like this move. Should definitely help our O-line out.. snared a former first rounder for nothing. hope this helps our O-line become deep enough that we can draft Anthony Parker instead of one of the O-linemen. I know the general consensus around here seems to be to go O-line, but I don't think too many of those people have seen Parker play.. this guy is awesome.

I'm not a draft process expert, but this doesn't add up to me? Was he a first rounder, or a third?

Third round.

http://www.cfl.ca/canadian_draft/list?year=2010

......Morencie was being highly touted to go in the first round...as it turned out he was drafted in the third...Certain aspects concerning his weight caused the drop off...He lost 30 pounds but quickly put it all back on which positively affected his game....TiCats were grooming him as a centre and from what i gather from a few of their fans ,see this as a loss...He has to be added to the roster for the Edm. game this sat. as part of the rule for taking him off of a pr...I'm looking forward to see what he brings :thup:

Correction..HUGE loss.He was supposed to be Hage's successor, now what?

yeah, my bad. got confused. still a very talented player, though

Thanks for the clear explanation. I don't follow things that closely which is why I was confused on the "1st round references" compared to the "3rd round pick".

Has to be on the 46-man gameday roster but not on the 42-man playing roster. I don't expect you'll see him this weekend, in fact there was a suggestion he won't even be at the game even though he has to be on the roster and will get a full cheque.

.......you're right rob.....he wasn't going to make it to Wpg. in time for the early flight to Edm......He WILL get paid and probably be playing in the last tilt against Cal..... :wink: