NHL NOT coming to Hamilton!!!

TSN reports tonight at the draft that the deal is dead with Jim. So the Preds will not be moved to Hamilton.

duh...anyone who believed this was going to happen is a dreamer.

just like anyone who believes an NFL team is comming to toronto.

Big surprise.

Not so fast. Likely just a much needed shot across the bow to warn Balsillie to stop treating the NHL like his personal plaything if he wants to ever got invited in. He may be Jim Almighty to those that dropped the cash for season tickets for a team he doesn't own, but the rest of these guys are no slouches, either.

The stories about this letter are an exaggeration. See a more balanced interpretation from Alan Maki at the Globe & Mail:

Richard Rodier, Mr. Balsillie's lawyer, said Mr. Leipold's letter to the NHL changed little if anything.

"We have a non-binding letter of intent and we still have a non-binding letter of intent," Mr. Rodier said. "I am not fussed by it."

[url=http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070623.wspt-preds-sale_new-22/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home#]http://www.globesports.com/servlet/stor ... ckey/home#[/url]

From today's Spec.

[i] "We did send the NHL a letter today requesting that it not do any further due diligence on Jim Balsillie's offer for the Nashville Predators until we reach a binding agreement,'' Leipold said in a prepared statement.

"If Jim is interested in reaching a binding agreement, we are prepared to move forward[/i].''

Predators pressure Balsillie for deal - Finalize terms or sale of team is off says Nashville owner

Bettman should be cutting Balsillie's lawn.

I don't understand how Bettman is still Comish, he's running the NHL into the ground. Balsillie is good news for the NHL, teams will thrive in Canada. However Bettman is too busy expanding into hockey hot-beds such as Nashville, Phoenix, Florida, and Texas. There will be two teams in Mexico before one more comes to Cananda so long as Bettman is Comish.

Bettman should be ON Balsillie's lawn! LMAO

Oski Wee Literally,

What a joke. Balsillie way overpaid for the Preds too, how could they refuse him? Oh right, because the NHL is run by morons.

Until Bettman's gone, the NHL will NEVER come to Hamilton. :thdn: :thdn:

It's all a part of the negotiation process. You have to read between the lines a little. If Balsillie doesn't buy the Preds for the reported $220-240 million will anyone else pay that much for them? Not a chance. When Forbes magazine did an estimate on the worth of the Preds they pegged them around the $130-140 million. So the current owner I'm sure wants to sell to Balsillie. Who wouldn't sell to someone willing to pay way more than market value? Especially when he's losing money hand over fist running the Preds.

This stuff is just about putting some pressure on Balsillie. And the NHL probably hopes it can put some limitations on him just like they tried to do with the Pittsburgh deal.

"We did send the NHL a letter today requesting that it not do any further due diligence on Jim Balsillie's offer for the Nashville Predators until we reach a binding agreement,'' Leipold said in a prepared statement.

"If Jim is interested in reaching a binding agreement, we are prepared to move forward.''

This quote tells me a lot. There's no way Leipold is going to walk away from a guy willing to pay that kind of money for a money losing Nashville team.

Plus, have you noticed how Nashville is unloading players lately? They traded their best defenceman, Timonen and Scott Hartnell, to Philly; and at the draft they traded away Vokoun. It looks like they are dumping players to me so that they won't hit that attendance mark next year.