NHL 2024 off-season

Yeah…

2 Likes

A great signing by the Panthers in my opinion. Lundell was a star as a junior and is still only 22 years old. He is a complete player like Barkov, although with less offence. He was an elite scorer in junior and I wouldn’t be surprised if he scores more over the next few years, even though that isn’t his job. He had a very impressive playoffs largely shutting down the opposition’s top scorers.

The Panthers are bleeding players as a result of winning in any salary cap sport, but they seem to have dodged the worst of it. The list of core players they have signed through at least 29/30 season is impressive and second to none. Leafs management should take note of how to manage a roster and your top six or so players.

3 Likes

Or maybe they should not? I like them even more if struggling to make the playoffs.
:grin:

3 Likes

Trade grades: Sabres sacrifice upside in McLeod-Savoie swap
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2936236

2 Likes
1 Like

And now if you are interested for summertime reading, here are more of the details from the crime scene after those Coyotes were finally buried in the desert in April!

It’s a wonder how it took Gary Bettman so long to just move on from this annual crap show in Arizona.

As more details surface from former employees, Meruelo (above) has sealed a legacy of an almost unfathomable level of dysfunction and mismanagement. The saga has thrust him into the ranks of worst owners in professional sports history. And his son also quietly played his own part, making the organization’s downfall a family affair.

Meruelo, who purchased the team for $300 million in 2019, is a billionaire—but he managed the Coyotes like he was the head of a private equity firm with a distressed asset. Financial obligations were left unaddressed as he tried to renegotiate commitments including paying the team’s travel costs and reimbursing area vendors, a team that already ranked in the bottom-third in player salary commitments sank further, and his gruff nature irked local political leaders and fellow NHL owners alike.

“He wasn’t paying bills,” says one former team employee who spoke to Front Office Sports on condition of anonymity. “He can deny it all he wants, but that stuff is true. His reputation was horrible. No one wanted to work with him. He didn’t treat employees very well and he was just a cheap ass. That was the reality of the situation.”

3 Likes

My take is simple. Most of the forwards in Edmonton have inflated regular season goals totals because with the minutes Draisaitle and McDavid play, sooner or later all those Foegele, McLeod, and line mates spend time playing with the top line guys.
So I would give both those guys a “how good are they really?” rating.

There are a couple guys I wish we would get signed though.
Holloway, who is filling out (6’1", 206 lb) and will be a big bruising guy with some serious wheels and good hands. He needs line mates that can fast break with him.
And Broberg, who didn’t play a lot in the regular season but looked pretty solid going +8 in 12 playoff games.

1 Like

Another player diagnosed with CTE. For some reason Bettman still denies any causal connection even though the NFL has admitted one and science, is well science.

1 Like

Oh well, I can’t be the only cynic for this matter to figure that the NHL is simply forestalling the inevitable massive class action lawsuit, just as did the NFL before ultimately settling in 2014 to pay into the billions to players, physicians, and attorneys.

Go figure by comparison, here’s the statistics page for the NFL lawsuit:
https://www.nflconcussionsettlement.com/

Over $1.3B remains available after over 1700 former NFL players have received awards.

1 Like

Happy forum anniversary day Grover!

2 Likes

An interesting article from Travis Yost who thinks that the Kings might be an offer sheet target.

1 Like

Little Joe
Huge heart! :green_heart:

3 Likes

I’m cross-linking this post here because the owner of also the New York Rangers, James Dolan, apparently has had quite the running and escalating argument with Larry Tanenbaum, even suing him in court, that is spilling over all-around.

It looks to me like war between MLSE and MSG Sports will escalate.

Some recent updates. Bad news for St. Louis as they look nowhere near retruning to the playoffs this coming year.

Also 2018 should have been Conn Smythe trophy winner appears to be leaving the NHL for good. The decision appears to have been mutual so both the Canes and the Caps caught a cap break (say that 5 times fast).

2 Likes

Putting this here.

Announcement on Calgary’s new arena scheduled for later this afternoon. Likely ground breaking

Apparently the name has been leaked.

Very original :rofl:. Guess we’ll find out soon

1 Like

I was hoping it was going to be Roger’s Place Arena. :smile:

3 Likes
1 Like