NHL 2024 off-season

sabres get a head start by being so predictable :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Frankly, given that Ruff was the first firing of Pegula’s ownership tenure (Regier followed 9 months later) it was surprising to me that ownership approved the hiring.

Really - his firing in Jersey seemed weird to me - if you have no goal tending you fire the GM not the coach…

4 Likes

A history of the draft lottery, including the “Edmonton Oilers” rule stating that no team can pick 1st overall more than twice in 5 years. If you look at the chart in the article, had that rule been in place all along the Oilers would have been disqualified from picking McDavid. Fourth time’s a charm.

1 Like

The San Jose Sharks GM Mike Grier has releaved/fired David Quinn of his head coaching duties.

2 Likes

Cross-linking from the Salt Lake City thread for the sake of expansion prospects and discussion, which are merely at the preliminary level now.

1 Like

And for those thinking that another NHL team can be moved, well, I’m not seeing it at all and I don’t see anything to indicate that Bettman et al would consider any more of that noise like from Arizona recently, which was moved quite reluctantly and only belatedly after years of awful.

Here’s more data, including financial data, on why I feel that way.

Though it’s still a long road for any NHL expansion, it is far more likely that the NHL would simply add two new teams than to move any teams.

2 Likes

The Voice of Hockey Night in Canada when I was growing up as passed away.

Was 90…Too many numerous calls to mention. Lemieux’s Oh Baby call in 1991 gets played the most

3 Likes

This article is likely the all time moment in Canadian Hockey History :ice_hockey:

4 Likes

As the article implies. If was more than just a hockey goal. It was our society and way of life against theirs.

Still a travesty that Hendorson was never inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

5 Likes

We thought ourselves kings of the hockey world at the time. Then came the humbling first 4 games, a major kick in the gonads that brought reality to bear. To claw back, tooth & nail, in their own back yard culminating in Henderson’s epic goal was a display of grit, determination, & intestinal fortitude I’ve never seen since. The weight of a nation on their shoulders, they gave everything they had to pull it out for us. I was standing in the hall outside the only classroom in the school that had a tv, no room inside, I think every other classroom was empty. Unforgettable.

3 Likes

The Russians still claim that they won the series.

2 Likes

They can claim what they want. History, like the expression goes, is written by the winners!

3 Likes

Things are about to change in Canada for NHL hockey TV viewership

2 Likes

And not for the better.

I listened to a long radio show on this the other day chock full of broadcast experts. The conclusion was that this is a dry run for what will occur two years from now when the Rogers contract is up. For the next two years the games affected are of relatively minor consequence and won’t affect many. But after that you will need to subscribe to Amazon or whatever company gets the contract and/or pay for individual games. This will especially egregious and expensive for playoff games.

I don’t like this at all. Right now I pay about $25/mo. for Sportsnet,TSN, HBO, Crave and numerous other channels via much cheaper cable. I could see the cost of just the sports channels being 3-4 times that for much less and I won’t be biting on that.

3 Likes

I believe the NHL will be announcing trophy/award finalists daily over the next short while. First up is the Vezina. This one’s pretty much a lock for Hellesuck, mainly because playoffs don’t count.

1 Like

A coaching casualty. I don’t follow the Kraken close enough to have any insight as to what their reason for their decline was this year, other than Beniers had a horrific sophomore season. The coach is always the easy target, whether deserved or not. I had forgotten that the Kraken had ousted the defending champion Avalanche in 7 in last year’s playoffs and took the Stars to 7 before succumbing. Obviously great reason for optimisim before the season.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Don’t recall ever seeing a fight in the handshake line- this is AHL.

2 Likes

At least they admit there’s one series going exactly the way we expect it to.

2 Likes