NFL try out window

Any CFL player — not just pending free agents — is eligible to use the NFL window, which opened Dec. 13, 2021 and closes on Feb. 8, 2022.

The only exception to this rule is players who receive off-season bonuses after Dec. 12, 2021, which deems them ineligible for the NFL window. Depending on the nature of their contracts, however, some players can get around this rule by deferring bonus payments until after the Feb. 8, 2022 deadline.

I had to refresh my memory on the NFL window. The only one I could find was from two years ago. I had thought the window was shorter, but we should be getting close, probably next week. So who is getting try outs from the Argos. Kelly has apparently has some work outs coming up. I can see Leake getting a look as a kick returner. OL Allen at Guard. Young receiver like Coxie. Stiggers for sure unless he has to go through the draft. Hendrix maybe at DE, he is undersized for DT down there. Pickett at strong side saftey could maybe get a look. AJ Ouelette maybe. It would be tough losing some of these players but one has to make their money when they can. Careers are short. Then we will have Corey Mace trying to lure away some players as well. We might be looking at a quite different team next year. Dinwiddie has also let it be known he is open to moving on to the NCAA or NFL.

1 Like

NFL teams are always conducting tryouts hoping to find a diamond in the rough that they can develop. These players would probably need time on the practice roster then serve as a backup while they ‘mature’ into starters. Considering that, why would they sign a 28 to 30 year old CFL star when they have so many young NCAA graduates to chose from. Of the group of Argos mentioned, on Stiggers (22) and Leake (25) will be under 28 yrs of age when the season starts in June 2024. I think the biggest threat is losing defenders who might follow Corey Mase to Regina.

2 Likes

I hope Chad Kelly doesn’t go anywhere. The Argos were starting to gain a little traction in the city. Even my friends who don’t watch CFL, are asking me questions about them.

2 Likes

Yes I’m aware of that. Use to be the NFL PR’s were smaller and they didn’t keep any players on there more than 3 years. Covid and the focus on Concussions has teams doubling their PR’s and having to add almost that many on their injured reserve. It seems some players are making a career of just staying on the PR’s now. So the NFL are not as rigid in selecting their PR’s on age as they use to be. IMO. But you are correct about age as well though, it is a young man’s game. Expect Stiggers to have several teams interested.

2 Likes

The word is that he is going to work out for several teams. So if a team gives him a back up position he could be gone. Especially if it was Buffalo.
Another player who is signed but could still sign with a NFL team would be Peter Nicastro. Only 25 years old and is a very good player. The Argos have re-signed Giffen who IMO is ready to start, so they have depth there at Guard.

Here’s some interesting numbers for players in the NFL that will make you wonder about player moves.

Here’s the best I can figure out now and my opinion.

All NFL players do quite well financially when playing or even as one of the inactive on a roster on game day.

Of course NONE of that large sum of money is guaranteed beyond what is at hand via signing bonus, up front sums or part of any advance sums, and/or endorsements under contract.

Setting aside now the quarterbacks, such as discussed in the Nathan Rourke thread, and kickers, punters, and long snappers, let’s note the following.

Usually when a player comes from the CFL or other pro football experience, it’s to play a position to start or otherwise play often NOW.

Many of the players drafted late or free agents from the NCAA or otherwise play chiefly on special teams in their first three years in the league.

As an experienced positional player who can play NOW, such a player is usually paid more than those younger players, who are still training and vying to crack a starting spot or to be in the mix more for various offensive or defensive plays.

For year three and beyond when you examine those numbers, it would be easy to see why most players who do not make the cut to play a position from scrimmage often in the NFL are replaced by younger and far less experienced players.

2 Likes