NFL rules

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell understands that, and he told Rich Eisen of the NFL Network that extra points may be removed from the game, in an effort to keep things lively.

Via NFL.com:

“The extra point is almost automatic. I believe we had five missed extra points this year out of 1,200 some odd (attempts). So it’s a very small fraction of the play, and you want to add excitement.?

Goodell explained to Eisen that one proposal he’s heard of is to automatically award seven points for a touchdown, and then allow teams to go for an eighth point with a passing or running play as usual. If the team fails to convert when going for eight, however, they would lose a point, earning six total points for the touchdown. Whether that system is put into place remains to be seen, but Goodell says the league’s competition committee is continually assessing possible changes.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/roger-goodell-nfl-extra-point/?sf21872002=1

And the kick game could become even more obsolete. First they change the kickoff rules to get more touchbacks and fewer returns, now possibly no more PATs. Doesn’t make much sense though. Why count a TD as 7 points only to lose an extra point or gain an extra point on an extra convert play. Why not leave it at 6 and make every team go for a 2 pt convert.

I'm good with both leagues taking the pat away. It's a waste of time. If you go for 2, just like now, you only get 6. Nothing really changes, they just get rid of something that is a for gone conclusion and will speed the game up. The NFL does need to address the ridiculous amount of Touch backs on kick-offs. Maybe move the kicker back 10 more yards?

I’m confused as usual.
did they not just recently move the kicker ahead 10 yards in order to decrease the number of returns? (supposedly for safety concerns)

Yes they moved the kicker 10 yards ahead to make touchbacks more likely. Kasps is suggesting they undo that because there are way too many touchbacks. Frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised if the NFL league head office felt like there still were too many kickoff returns. Utterly stupid IMO. Corradelle Patterson, Percy Harvin, there are a few guys in the NFL that can be electric returning kicks and taking away those plays is ridiculous.