NFL Off Season 2023

it’s worth keeping in mind that Bezos could afford to buy all the NFL teams. at once.

seriously would the existing greedy selfish tribe of owners let him in? not likely.

also rumours are he covets the seahawks ownership more (trust of late Paul Allen).

watch for Larry Ellison - he’s expressed interest in owning a team and is another of the worlds richest asshats.

1 Like

Oh well it appears we are guaranteed yet another major elite asshat in Washington.

And so how is such a virtual fait accompli considered news?
:smiley_cat:

1 Like

haha three games to full on off season and i’m ready to have football withdrawal symptoms already :joy:

1 Like

i may need to find a way to stream some XFL

The thing I was focusing on was the article, which said exactly the opposite of what the headline did. I consider it irresponsible journalism. And I do consider the Post to be a tabloid much closer to the National Enquirer than anything and nowhere near the Washington Post and NY Times, both papers of record. I thought the article was no better than gossip and didn’t contain a shred of evidence to back up the headline. We can agree to disagree.

Cross-posting here for sake of how massive an impact the NFL was for Amazon.

The exact figures are not available and would not be available and would be private analytics within Amazon, but putting the facts otherwise together, it would be difficult if not imaginative to conclude any other driver of that much subscription growth enough to beat even a surging Netflix in 4Q2022!

2 Likes

I agree on your first line, and we have to agree to disagree on the rest.

I prefer to read the article and look at the context beyond the medium before drawing conclusions.

I feel as do you about many another publication including even some of those cited as “reputable” or even more off-putting the term you use, for otherwise private journalism not government announcement, “papers of record,”
:roll_eyes:
but my approach is entirely different.

In modern media over the years especially since about 2008, many have become more like tabloids but a misleading headline does not make a publication a tabloid either.

I find it’s best to read the article for the content and then draw from the context in the news when it’s not entirely a matter unique to any given medium.

If the article is reported as an exclusive and has a misleading headline, otherwise I would agree with your point, but that’s not the case with this report on news otherwise published and on which I could have selected another link as well but happened to choose that one.

Carolina has hired Frank Reich to be thier new head coach.

1 Like

Well, in reviewing the NFL news the last few days, other than the matter of Mahomes' injury there is not terribly that much of high note.

There's an awful lot of pre-game "make-news" and hype akin to a dreadfully extended edition of an NFL pregame show, for which an hour is already too long.

And it's that time of year - this is merely the prelude to after Monday after the games on Sunday, when all the nonsense and make-news starts for the Super Bowl for a very long two weeks.

And so here we go with the off-season again, though at the very least it's not like the last three off-seasons and off we go to more hockey, soccer, or whatever you are into in the spring.

spring football please.

i’m waffling on this TSN+ thing. i have 5 TSN channels already and i only use maybe two of them. it says the TSN+ thing is in free preview mode but i suspect that means they’ll charge me the minute the XFL starts.

2 Likes

When I read it initially it appeared that the free preview mode would last several months, but they didn’t specify exactly how long. I haven’t looked at TSN+ yet but plan to this weekend, at least for the golf. As always I can’t see myself being interested in spring football.

1 Like

usually i’m getting into hockey now but my team is a catastrophic tire fire and i’m turned off hockey for other larger reasons.

2 Likes

Was reading a discussion on the Ticats forum about whether fans had the capability of running a coach out of town. I don't know the answer but they are trying to do just that to Saturday in Indianapolis.

The fans tried to do that to Sirianni in Philly without success and are now happy that they failed.

2 Likes

Aye I’m interested enough in the XFL 3.5 to tap in on any rainy or cold days, for March is the new December here in Pennyslvania change my mind, to check it out especially if at work.

As for the hub league that only starts in April when the weather is nice and there will be plenty of fun stuff to do outside but otherwise I have plenty for my fix via the NHL and various European soccer, nope!

oh yea i have no interest in the hub league

1 Like

And friends I can vouch here from Philadelphia that those people are hardly representative of most fans of the Eagles and are our local remnant BOJACKS, but that lot of rotten folks always messing things up for the rest of us, win or lose and probably stealing cars of players too, are hardly unique to any given bunch of sports fans - except the part about booing Santa Claus or stealing the car of a player during the game of course.
:smile_cat:

It’s off-topic, but living here and seeing what has gone on inside city limits as otherwise I work in a part of the city that is the safest and most quiet, I was not as surprised as I would have been back in 2017.

haha the bojacks are back!

1 Like

lmao ok i want to go to a football game where santa gets booed and players’ cars get jacked

1 Like

The Santa Claus story indeed is true, and it’s hard if not impossible to find the excellent documentary that was done on ESPN several years ago by Jeremy Schaap who interviewed the Governor of Pennsylvania back then, Philadelphia through-and-through, Ed Rendell as well as the victim who was in the Santa suit.

Ed Rendell was at the game, and perhaps to clear his conscience after the decades that had passed, Ed Rendell admitted that indeed he did boo but clarified that he did not throw snowballs at the awful Santa.

To this day most fans of the Eagles concur and approve that in that instance at such a time, it was appropriate to throw snowballs but of course understandably here in our softer times, more are discreet about such strong preferences.

But any true fan of the Eagles in that very same situation would have booed as well no doubt! I remain thankful that Ed Rendell did this interview on behalf of overwhelmingly most of us including in subsequent generations of fans!

1 Like

wasn’t sure where to post this. seems the Kelce brothers are into some of the canadian football rules.

1 Like